Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s Versus Bristol City

2»

Comments

• I think Henry is right the best U21 players are out on loan Holmes- Dennis and Ayo Obileye will be pushing to get into the first team squad next Season. Oliver Muldoon seems to be heading the same way as Bradley Jordan, a regular for the U21s, but not good enough to push his way into the first team. Ahearne- Grant has reached a learning plateau, but i am sure he will get better. Munns, Ansah i don't think will make it. The real gems are in the U18 side. George Lapslie, Ademola Lookman, Konsa are all top class prospects. They demolished QPR on Saturday playing a wonderful brand of slick pass and move. You can clearly see Baltacha's influence.
  • Thanks for that insight into the U18's, dick.

Never manage to watch their matches as usually en route to a home or away game.
  • My take on the garbage served up yesterday afternoon was that the players looked either complacent or demotivated or both. I suspect players like Munns and Muldoon have either been told their contracts will not be renewed or are expecting this to be the case.

Thomas is still a class act but in the second half was sloppy on the ball. He took liberties in my opinion and needs to focus as there is a first team player there. The most promising performer for me was Regan Cook. Appears to have a good engine and was calm on the ball.

Thought KAG was poor, as was Kennedy and I have not seen anything this year in Ansah to warrant the original hype. Who was the young sub (no. 16) who replaced Kennedy, no one has mentioned his name - even Ketts left it out of his report?
  • I think the Sub was Hanlan, without the dreadlocks. I agree about Regan Cook, he was everywhere and has good ability on the ball.
  • edited March 2015
    dickplumb said:

I think the Sub was Hanlan, without the dreadlocks. I agree about Regan Cook, he was everywhere and has good ability on the ball.

Dick, if Igor's injury keeps him out for a few games, is there a case for Hanlan or Umerah. Given they are bigger and more physical than KAG, might they occupy defenders a bit more to give Tony space? Aren't they similar age to KAG and Gomez? Doubt Luzon has integrated them in 1st squad yet though? I'm thinking of Salmon, young when he broke through, even now a limited player but just put himself about and gave chances to others.
  • Said when he 1st came, that I think we only signed Ansah because of his Charlton connections, don't expect him to be here next season and can't see him playing regularly for a team above League 1 standard in the future
  • We signed him on a 2 year contract I think which would mean he will be here next season, if for no other reasons than U21 squad padding which some of the lads we have and sign almost undoubtedly are. I have never seen him play, he was injured for a long time in a crucial period for development and from what everyone says who has seen him it would appear this has affected him very badly which is a real shame for the lad.
  • Very disappointed to hear about KAG performances. thought he looked a real prospect in his mini outings for first team. I hope it's not that he is demotivated in some way.
  • < The real gems are in the U18 side. George Lapslie, Ademola Lookman, Konsa are all top class prospects. They demolished QPR on Saturday playing a wonderful brand of slick pass and move. You can clearly see Baltacha's influence.

Who is Baltacha? Think I must have missed this.

• redman said:

< The real gems are in the U18 side. George Lapslie, Ademola Lookman, Konsa are all top class prospects. They demolished QPR on Saturday playing a wonderful brand of slick pass and move. You can clearly see Baltacha's influence.

Who is Baltacha? Think I must have missed this.

Sergi Baltacha. Former Ipswich player and now a coach in our academy. Been here a while now.

I think young players have ups and downs in form as they grow and mature as people and players.

The same players being praised in the U18s will go through the same thing when they are in the U21s. Give them time and support and some will make it, others won't.