Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Keeper has eye on late play-off surge after Forest win

2»

Comments

• Sure let's keep dreaming but the main thing is we can finish on a high, say 9th and get the summer window right so that we hit the ground running for 2015-16.

It's not over until it's over so let's enjoy climbing the table. If the play-offs are still possible in April then that's a massive achievement given we were bottom of the league 12 months back.
  • This team would have got promoted in our first season up, the year Palace went up. It was one of the easiest leagues that season.
  • Sure let's keep dreaming but the main thing is we can finish on a high, say 9th and get the summer window right so that we hit the ground running for 2015-16.

It's not over until it's over so let's enjoy climbing the table. If the play-offs are still possible in April then that's a massive achievement given we were bottom of the league 12 months back.

I totally agree with you, except the summer window relies on RD wanting to splash the cash, rather than do what he did with SL and sell the best players, we can only hope
  • edited March 2015
    The higher you finish the easier it is to attract that better calibre of player! Mid table is one thing top ten and we can show realistic intent at a playoff push for next seaso!!
  • ross1 said:

Sure let's keep dreaming but the main thing is we can finish on a high, say 9th and get the summer window right so that we hit the ground running for 2015-16.

I totally agree with you, except the summer window relies on RD wanting to splash the cash, rather than do what he did with SL and sell the best players, we can only hope
    100% agree
    He's saying nothing but the business case is very simple:
    Breakeven by selling top players to cover losses OR buy a 25% play-off shot at £150m FAPL / parachute cash.

RD doesn't "splash cash" but he does acquire players like Watt for £1.5m. Put simply the club will know the angles and will either pitch for mid-table or a top eight finish.

The biggest question is whether they will try to secure the likes of Bulot and Buyens for 2015-16. That won't be cheap but we know that they are top championship calibre.

Thinking logically the big Liege type sale comes next January or the following summer. Not saying I agree but just that it pays the bills if we can't power to promotion.
  • cafc-west said:

I can see it now. We push on, go mad and win the next 10 games. Then on the last day of the season we lose 1-0 to Bournemouth - scored, of course, by Monsieur Kermorgant and miss out on the play-offs....

Na, he chips it down the middle and Hendo saves it, we pick up the deflection and rush down the other end and score.
    Into the playoffs with a 1-0 win and Bournemouth miss out on automatic promotion.
    Then we thrash them 3-0 at Wembley.
  • I always wondered where you got your name.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

This is proper mid table stuff. A few wins, we look to the skies. (Quite) a few defeats, we want the owner to sell. A few wins, it's back to the play offs! I never thought I'd say it, but I kinda miss the 90s when the highs and lows were a little less extreme. Although right now, I'm thinking...didn't we win most of our last ten games in '98...?

Yes, eight of them. I remember after the defeat at Ipswich Curbs being interviewed and when told about the number of points needed to gain automatic promotion, or catch Sunderland or something; he chuckled and said that we would have to "...win all our last ten games then...", well, okay, we didn't quite do it, but eight wins and two draws gave us the momentum to go on to that historic day at Wembley.

I think it's too late this term, but as others have said the big if for next season is whether we keep the squad together in the summer.
  • Cannot believe this thread. Bit different from a few weeks ago. Highs and Lows of being a Charlton fan
  • If I know Charlton we'd win 10 of our last 11 and then melt in the Play-offs rendering the whole thing a hilarious waste of time

and get knocked out by Brentford and watch them go up :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Was it not Sasa's first game, away at Stoke, that started the run to the playoffs? Also, does anyone know what our average points per game with and without Hendo?

Although as Youds said in the programme, he had nothing to do until the playoff final!
  • Would be great if the players aimed for the play offs rather than the beaches of Belgium.
  • We'd need to win most of our remaining games. I think 9th is the most realistic we can hope for.
  • dream on hendo
  • dizzee said:

This team would have got promoted in our first season up, the year Palace went up. It was one of the easiest leagues that season.

Nah doubt it, Joe Gomez would have only been 14...