Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What to expect: Forest

Hello all - not sure whether these things are allowed to be posted here but I thought it may be of interest to you guys. A piece wrote about how Forest have been setting up under Freedman. It's been a massive change in fortunes since he has come in.

http://taktiek.uk/dougie-freedmans-4-3-3/

Hope you all take interest in it - and good luck for the rest of the season.

Comments

• A great opportunity to gauge where we are. probably the form team at the moment. I expect us to win with our front line - if fit though.
  • A great opportunity to gauge where we are. probably the form team at the moment. I expect us to win with our front line - if fit though.

Forest will miss Assombalonga's goals massively (who wouldn't!) - but the midfielders are really turning it on. If you don't have much protection infront of the defence you will struggle with Antonio, Lansbury, Osborn & Burke running at you.

If you have a marauding right-back (Solly? But I heard he is out injured) we struggle though. Chris Gunter gave us massive problems on Saturday.
  • They've scored 19 in the 6 games that Freedman has been in charge, Assombalonga's scored one of those and is now injured so they don't miss him that much.
  • Nice piece. Enjoyed reading that.
  • That Osborn looks a right player. His goal at the weekend was absolutely superb. They all were good to be fair.

Bit like Charlton's!
  • edited March 2015

That Osborn looks a right player. His goal at the weekend was absolutely superb. They all were good to be fair.

Bit like Charlton's!

He's been brilliant. Was given a debut last year under Gary Brazil when we had about 17 senior players injured (not an exaggeration) - completely forced to give him the debut, many didn't think he would be offered a deal as his contract was up at the end of the season. Went on to give a few good performances, and was given a 5-year deal. This season, he has been our most consistent performer. A complete surprise to everyone - he doesn't have anything that stands out hes just good at most things. Won player of the month last month with a huge 93% of fans votes. If he isn't called up for the under-21's it would be criminal.
  • Taktiek said:

Hello all - not sure whether these things are allowed to be posted here but I thought it may be of interest to you guys. A piece wrote about how Forest have been setting up under Freedman. It's been a massive change in fortunes since he has come in.

That's brilliant. Love blogs like that. Can you send it to Guy Luzon please?
  • Being a Football Anorak, i love knowing how the oppos might line up.
    we are going to have 2 teams now who are on top of their game.
    Both teams have a full back called fox who could be targeted.
    Reading that it could come down to Bulot and Antonio, not just what they do in the attacking sense but how much protection they give their Left back.
    Gardner could be key if he stops Tony Watt before he can expose the CB's
    he sounds like a better version of Buyens.

So the two teams who have been going along in tandem all season now meet again. May the best team Charlton win.
  • Already been posted on here. :-)

Good to see you sign up and post it yourself though! Thought it was very interesting stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Taktiek said:

A great opportunity to gauge where we are. probably the form team at the moment. I expect us to win with our front line - if fit though.

Forest will miss Assombalonga's goals massively (who wouldn't!) - but the midfielders are really turning it on. If you don't have much protection infront of the defence you will struggle with Antonio, Lansbury, Osborn & Burke running at you.

If you have a marauding right-back (Solly? But I heard he is out injured) we struggle though. Chris Gunter gave us massive problems on Saturday.
    Interesting point. If Solly is out injured we might be better playing Lawrie Wilson at RB with a license to get forward, keeping Joe Gomez at CB with Roger Johnson. I think Lawrie shows more than Joe going forward, at this stage of their respective careers.
  • Taktiek said:

Brilliant insight - wish I could read something like this before each one of my matches. Forest's attacking players are exciting and a well known danger but the description of Gardner's role was interesting. I'm guessing that's the sort if role that Diarra has been signed to play for us
  • edited March 2015
    Taktiek said:

A great opportunity to gauge where we are. probably the form team at the moment. I expect us to win with our front line - if fit though.

That'll be the same three excluding Burke, who was sub but never got on, that didn't give us any problems in the first half at the City Ground then :wink:. To be fair though it was backs to the wall second half and it took a worldy from Tesche to earn Forest a point.

Solly not definitely ruled out as yet but even so we have other options at right back but it's our wide men at the moment that should be your concern not forgetting the dynamic duo up front.

Should be a good game, bring it on.
  • An interesting analysis, looks like Forest have worked out that an attacking midfield with the man behind, had made them a goal scoring side,mwhilst we have found two front men with wingback support working for us. Hope we win tomorrow then Forest can win every game, and help us finish top half.
  • I was confident before I saw that page. But seeing the pace they are running in them vids, I am decidedly worried now!
  • Stig said:

I was confident before I saw that page. But seeing the pace they are running in them vids, I am decidedly worried now!

Midfield will be where it is won or lost. They only have one holding so get an extra attacking man. Cousins will be our most important player (again).

I also wonder how brave they will be having seen Watt and Igor? I think they will go for it so should be a great game.
  • edited March 2015
    Redrobo said:

Stig said:

I was confident before I saw that page. But seeing the pace they are running in them vids, I am decidedly worried now!

Midfield will be where it is won or lost. They only have one holding so get an extra attacking man. Cousins will be our most important player (again).

I also wonder how brave they will be having seen Watt and Igor? I think they will go for it so should be a great game.
    Yep. We have won pretty much every midfield battle since Freedman came in, from losing pretty much every midfield battle when Pearce was in charge. Gary Gardner has been a big part of this - not a flashy player but does what he is supposed to do and let's the more flashy players like Lansbury (who has the ability to walk into a lot of Premier League teams on top form) perform.
    RedChaser said:

That'll be the same three excluding Burke, who was sub but never got on, that didn't give us any problems in the first half at the City Ground then :wink:. To be fair though it was backs to the wall second half and it took a worldy from Tesche to earn Forest a point.

Solly not definitely ruled out as yet but even so we have other options at right back but it's our wide men at the moment that should be your concern not forgetting the dynamic duo up front.

Should be a good game, bring it on.

You will see a completely different Forest side to what you played earlier in the season. In my opinion, the rigid system we played strangled players of any creativity they had, then we had months and months of blaming "lack of confidence". As you saw from that Tesche goal - the only goals we scored were spectacular goals.

Forest haven't been tested in defense yet for a good month, but that is partly to do with teams inability to get it to their strikers. Both Collins and Lascelles (who I deem as our weak link) have not been tested at all but that's because we have defended from the front.

I mentioned in my piece about teams reluctance to get wing-back's forward though, as it leaves Antonio up field with space to run into, which you cannot do as few will beat him for strength and pace. If they do bomb forward, it's going to be end-to-end.

Hope it's a good game - I am on my way to the Valley now.
  • Gary Gardner - an absolute must signing for any aspiring League One manager on FM13. ;-)
  • edited March 2015
    I was at the game earlier this season and to be fair you did very very well in that second half but kept wasting your opportunities (Tom Ince blazing wide when 1 on 1 comes to mind).

Checking the respective Forest line-ups for the draw between us earlier in the season and your 3-0 win over Reading, only one player in the starting XI has changed: Danny Collins for Tom Ince.

So was Pearce's problem that he was too attacking and leaving his team exposed defensively?

Freedman's teams are all about the wingers. Burke and Antonio are to Forest what Bolasie and Zaha were to Palace a couple of seasons back.

The other issue to tackle is the midfield trio. Do nothing to counter that and we could be facing another loss as we did when we went 4-4-2 against Derby last week.
  • I was at the game earlier this season and to be fair you did very very well in that second half but kept wasting your opportunities (Tom Ince blazing wide when 1 on 1 comes to mind).

Checking the respective Forest line-ups for the draw between us earlier in the season and your 3-0 win over Reading, only one player in the starting XI has changed: Danny Collins for Tom Ince.

So was Pearce's problem that he was too attacking and leaving his team exposed defensively?

Freedman's teams are all about the wingers. Burke and Antonio are to Forest what Bolasie and Zaha were to Palace a couple of seasons back.

Burke is a Premier League player in my opinion and Antonio is the real threat. Plenty of goals and assists in him.
  • Sponsored links:

• The CDM position works well like we had with Poyet under Riga.but can collapse when he is pressed and the whole team press high which Luzon seems to be doing. The only trouble with pressing high up the pitch is you can get caught out with long ball over the top.This might be why Gomez played instead of bikey on Saturday. Just hope we win tonight when was last time we won two home games back to back
  • The CDM position works well like we had with Poyet under Riga.but can collapse when he is pressed and the whole team press high which Luzon seems to be doing. The only trouble with pressing high up the pitch is you can get caught out with long ball over the top.This might be why Gomez played instead of bikey on Saturday. Just hope we win tonight when was last time we won two home games back to back

Wigan and Derby under Peeters?
  • Huddersfield and Brentford...........................
  • Huddersfield and Brentford...........................

Ha - so it is!
  • No Andy Reid = Home win. COYR's
  • "You will see a completely different Forest Charlton side to what you played earlier in the season. In my opinion, the rigid system we played strangled players of any creativity they We had then, we had months and months of blaming "lack of confidence". As you saw from that Tesche Gudmundsson goal against Cardiff - the only goals we scored were spectacular goals."

Could not agree more Taktiek.

nice one sam
  • Charlton & Forest have had almost identical seasons.
  • I was at the game earlier this season and to be fair you did very very well in that second half but kept wasting your opportunities (Tom Ince blazing wide when 1 on 1 comes to mind).

The other issue to tackle is the midfield trio. Do nothing to counter that and we could be facing another loss as we did when we went 4-4-2 against Derby last week.

Pearce's problems in MY opinion (and by no means all Forest fans) were that he could not organize the team and made simple things complicated. Our side under Pearce played with huge gaps all over the pitch, it was stretched far too much. We would have Burke on one side of the pitch with the ball, and Antonio hugging the other touchline when he has the ball and vice-versa - we never narrowed the pitch which made us painfully easy to pass through. This went on all 6-months when he was in-charge. Early game plan was to get the ball out wide, and cross to a striker. Worked for first 8 games, then people decided to stop us getting it to wide players and we crumbled - never had a plan B. Pearce would then go through a 4-month spell where he would change formation every match, and during the match at least three or four times until he got it right and by then it was often too late and we were a couple of goals down. Once the Plan A was gone, we just resulted in hoof ball and nobody ever had any options to pass too.

As for the comparison between Freedman's Palace with Bolasia & Zaha, 100%. Antonio is a double of Bolasie just less flashy and more power. I don't think you can compare Burke to Zaha, but ironically we have a young lad in our academy called Oliver Burke, who Freedman has already said he can be better than Zaha. The young Burke is lightning quick and is very highly rated at Forest, currently on loan to Bradford for a month.
  • edited March 2015
    Freedman did well at palace.
    Freedman struggled at Bolton.
    Freedman has started like a train at Forest.
    Is it because he had the right players to fit at Palace and now Forest but,
    had the wrong players at Bolton to play the system he wanted ?