Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Resting players

Will the new Messiah keep a winning team against Derby or rest key players for the more winnable game on Saturday ?
What would you do ?

Comments

• Solly is probably due a rest.
  • edited February 2015
    Rest Johnson. put Bikey back in for a week. He needs a good weeks rest. Maybe rest one in midfield or perhaps a striker but that'd be it for me
  • After going 98 days without a win I think we have to keep up the momentum - must be incredibly tempting though
  • edited February 2015
    I'd look at who is available if you don't play your first team - Henderson, Solly, Johnson, Ben Haim, Fox, Cousins, Lepoint, Bulot, Gudmundsson, Vetokele, and Watt.

We only have Markovic, who won't play in front of Hendo; Gomez who could play anyway if Solly is pushed into midfield (or his knee needs a rest); Bikey could come in for Johnson? Diarra may be fit enough to play, but that may not be from the start? Harriott for Bulot and/or Wilson for Johan could happen, or Eagles for either of then, but there doesn't seem much point. And I very much doubt that Churchy will get a run out in preference to our new strike pairing. So we can hardly make many changes to rest players, unless Muldoon, Gerrard, and Ahearne-Grant also come into play?
  • the idea that pro players cant play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday bugs me
    and the fact we played Friday would make it worse

never rest unless players are injured or just coming back from injuries

I take it you would pick the same then.
  • Pedro45 said:

I'd look at who is available if you don't play your first team - Henderson, Solly, Johnson, Ben Haim, Fox, Cousins, Lepoint, Bulot, Gudmundsson, Vetokele, and Watt.

We only have Markovic, who won't play in front of Hendo; Gomez who could play anyway if Solly is pushed into midfield (or his knee needs a rest); Bikey could come in for Johnson? Diarra may be fit enough to play, but that may not be from the start? Harriott for Bulot and/or Wilson for Johan could happen, or Eagles for either of then, but there doesn't seem much point. And I very much doubt that Churchy will get a run out in preference to our new strike pairing. So we can hardly make many changes to rest players, unless Muldoon, Gerrard, and Ahearne-Grant also come into play?

asking a lot of the lad after he only played yesterday.

Being a bit short sighted there i think. Of course players can play that many games, but if we never rested anyone and other teams did, then we'd be at a disadvantage fitness wise right from the off.
  • Start with the same 11 have subs if any tire.
    Need to win it to keep our promotion run going.
  • Start with the same 11 have subs if any tire.
    Need to win it to keep our promotion run going.

I admire your optimism .
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

Pedro45 said:

asking a lot of the lad after he only played yesterday.
    You know who I mean...our Serb goalie!
  • edited February 2015
    Gomez for Solly, Can Johnson play 3 games in a week after not playing a 1st team game in a year ? (if he plays tomorrow and Sat)
    No one saw Two 3-0 back to back victories coming so you would like to keep the momentum going. i did want to rest Igor and Tony but the best thing maybe to play them for an hour then bring on Eagles and Aherne-Grant.
    I feel Huddersfield is more winnable and want to win in front of 25K

Its not just fitness though, its about them getting kicked about for 90 mins. Sometimes you'll come out of a game having taken a battering and may have 2-3 day injuries.

Personally I'd go back to one up top, maybe even try out Lepoint as a target man with Eagles as an advanced midfielder in behind him. Derby wont be quite as open as our last two games defensively. We definitely have the players now to stick 3 in center mid.
  • Huddersfield will be up for it!
  • So have we concluded that Buyens is actually not suspended as no mention of it has come from the club?
  • Not suspended yet.
  • edited February 2015
    With our recent two wins we've got a lovely bit of momentum to go with our confidence right now... Keep the squad the same (As I've said before you never see Solly hobbling or holding his knee or asking for the physio in any of the matches so for me he's 100% fit) and lets try and sneak the double over Derby this season.

Change the Squad and you could see that momentum disappear and we'll be right back to where we started

At the same time though you've got the likes of Eagles / Gomez / Bikey all watching from the wings at the moment and you'd like to think that if they got brought in they'd want to perform to the best of their ability (and play out of their skins) so that they can give Luzon a selection headache and prove why they shouldnt have been benched in the first place

Who'd be a Football Manager
  • edited February 2015
    I'd probably be inclined to make a couple of changes. Just because we're not expected to beat Derby doesnt mean we should accept a defeat and make wholesale changes. A point would be a great return. Maybe Solly out for Gomez and Bikey for Johnson.
  • I'd probably be inclined to make a couple of changes. Just because we're not expected to beat Derby doesnt mean we should accept a defeat and make wholesale changes. A point would be a great return. Maybe Solly out for Gomez and Bikey for Johnson.

I expect us to beat Derby. Already beaten them and face them with a better team full of confidence,
  • I'd probably be inclined to make a couple of changes. Just because we're not expected to beat Derby doesnt mean we should accept a defeat and make wholesale changes. A point would be a great return. Maybe Solly out for Gomez and Bikey for Johnson.

I expect us to beat Derby. Already beaten them and face them with a better team full of confidence,
    You are very much a glass full with a nice head where i'm a shattered glass and has any one got any super glue.

i love your optimism Absurd, i raise my glass and .....oh shit it had'n't set

• Sponsored links:

• Unchanged as far as possible .. plenty of time for rest .. when you're dead
  • Thanks to our 2 wins, there's no pressure on us. By contrast, Derby need the win as the fight for automatic will be titanic. Hopefully we can exploit this...

I like it abs.
  • It's a difficult one this, trying to balance keeping the momentum going with giving key players rest for an arguably more winnable game against Huddesfield.

I'm sorry paulie but I don't agree with you on the issue of players being able to play 3 games in a week. Where as I believe that they could physically complete games I do think at such a high level of sport where the small percentages can make a huge difference a rested player is more likely to make an impact.

• I don't think GL is going to change the team much. A settled starting 11 is a good thing to keep when you're winning.
  • So have we concluded that Buyens is actually not suspended as no mention of it has come from the club?

Ask Cawley if he travelled to Derby, then we will know
  • ross1 said:

So have we concluded that Buyens is actually not suspended as no mention of it has come from the club?

Is he not suspended under the 10 card rule ?
  • madadd said:

ross1 said:

So have we concluded that Buyens is actually not suspended as no mention of it has come from the club?

Someone mentioned that as he had 2 bookings and a red card in one game, the second yellow did not count, never heard of this myself, but someone, somewhere will know
  • ross1 said:

madadd said:

ross1 said:

Someone mentioned that as he had 2 bookings and a red card in one game, the second yellow did not count, never heard of this myself, but someone, somewhere will know
    Buyens missed the next game after the red card,
    so only one yellow card is carried on to the overall total for the season

• So after the season we have had we finally get a settled team/formation etc and we actually look like a good footballing team for once and people want to change it around. Are you mental! Maybe while we're at it we can give cousins another go on the left or Harriott up front.

Keep the same team Derby are going to attack us tonight, keep them quiet for a bit and catch them on the counter.