Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Other Football or Charlton

2»

Comments

• Every Saturday I am fixed to the phone following the Charlton score but I need my fix of live football so I got a season ticket for fourth division Puerta Bonita when I moved here. Pretty poor standard but a decent atmosphere and a good laugh every other Sunday. Get to Atlético Madrid every now and again, which is amazing, and sometimes Real Madrid and Rayo Vallecano as well. Best thing though is telling all the kids at the school I work at about Charlton though!
  • Totally Charlton for me. I'm usually only interested in the teams that are in the division that Charlton are playing in. I do try to at least know what is basically going on in the PL but I've not too much interest to be honest.
  • edited February 2015
    CharltonMadrid, had this conversation with my son, an hour ago that if i lived in Spain it would be Athletico Madrid or if too far away i would support the local lower league team. I guess i always like the underdog.

Been football mad since i was 3, and have never lost the love.
    Playing,watching,coaching, or managing.

Charlton over England every time.
    But the pain is as strong as ever when we lose,
    The joy of winning is still fantastic.
  • CAFC. This is all there has been, is and ever will be
  • Since having to give up my season tickets due to the ever increasing costs of actually getting to the Valley, I only do northern away's now with the odd home game. I actually watch a wide variety of football when I do not have a Charlton game, I am lucky to get regular corporate freebies at Old Trafford, will pop along to Bolton or Wigan but by far and away the most matches I watch are at Stockport County. The standard of football at Edgeley Park is now obviously woeful but what a refreshing change to watch 22 blokes giving it their all, no sideways and backwards passing and the best bit - no cheating. Always 100% CAFC but do need my 'live' footy fix every now and then.

Lucky!!?? I think that's pretty unlucky frankly! Not just coz its old Trafford but because you go along with corporate sycophants who jump on the corporate football bandwagon coz its 'en vogue'! Couldn't think of anything more depressing than to watch a game of football with a bunch of people who really couldn't give a hoot except for the free cava and caviar tit bits!

Stick to Stockport, it's real world.
    Ha ha bazjonster, I actually agree with you. Living up here I hate Man U with a passion and Old Trafford as much. However, I am not going to turn down a 5 course meal along with all the free alcohol you can drink over a 6 hour stint with the bonus of a footy match thrown in. I eat drink and support whoever manure happen to be playing lol.

• Couldn't agree more bazjonster; went to Wembley to watch that 'wally with the brolly' take us out of the competition. Sat in the corporate seats that run round the stadium. what a mistake... there was me and my son trying to cheer the boys on and the looks we got! OK the language got a little fruity but blimey.. I'm sure most of the people there never actually went to football matches on a regular basis. That's the problem with the Premier League, over-priced tickets, over-paid prima donnas, and the same goes for international football now. Everyone knows about the corruption and cheating that pervades the game. As for Euro and World Cups...I'm pretty certain that many results are rigged and I can't take these competitions seriously anymore. I mean, for f***s sake how can you play a World Cup in a country with no football history, in the middle of a desert in the middle of the summer!?
  • WSS said:

You sound like your old man...

haha apart from the loving Charlton with all my heart bit!
  • Since moving overseas eight years ago I haven't watched any football other than Charlton and England in tournament finals. I try to stay up every Saturday night to listen to the games and always find myself on here checking how things are going so I am fully behind the club and count myself as a die hard fan. It is interesting that I have no interest in football outside of us as that never used to be the case. I cannot explain why but I seem to have fallen out of love with the game in general. Sounds like I am not the only one!!
  • Charlton have a mysterious, catalytic, hypnotic power over me. I need to know that they are OK before I take an interest in others.

On winning weekends I take in a couple of TV premiership games and admire the speed, stamina and silky skills of the best players in the world. On losing weekends I don’t bother with the overpaid, moaning prima donnas who are strangling the life out of the grassroots game with their sheer self egotistical greed.

Mmmm … maybe I should see a shrink.
  • edited February 2015
    Agree with the generality here. Used to football mad and would watch whatever was on the telly. Can't remember the last time I made a point of watching a televised game and paid attention all the way through. Always end up fiddling on my phone (not a euphemism!). Without Charlton I probably wouldn't bother much. Makes me wonder how I'd feel if we actually got back to the Prem as I don't actually like it that much any more and I certainly wouldn't be able to afford/willing to pay what I expect the prices would be.
  • Sponsored links:

• This probably sounds crazy but I wouldn't be able to live without Charlton Athletic even if all the other football clubs in the world disappeared (it doesn't make sense I know but hopefully you get what I mean...) I fell ill and had a fever of 39 degrees for a couple of days two weeks ago but our long-awaited 3-0 victory over Brentford cheered me up, absolutely nothing else in football could have.

I'm a fan of the Premier League and watch MOTD every week. Watch live Premier games occasionally. But as a neutral, there's not much emotion involved. Sometimes I envy Chinese fans of clubs like West Hame, Everton or Spurs, but only because they can watch their teams play every week. In fact I'm the one that some of them feel jealous of because I'm able to feel really connected with Charlton, this special family club.

As for international football, I root for England in the World Cup and the European Championship but nothing beyond that.
  • Me and my mate watch practically every football game that is on on Saturday.

We also have a game. Whenever they mention on Gillette Soccer Special, a goalkeeper, commentater, manager, scorer someone who has a link with Charlton, we say "used to play for Charlton".

So, teams like Orient always keep us on our toes!

What it does is keep us interested in what is going on in football. Some of the more obscure players, like loanees are a challenge.

Lloyd Omosuzi anyone?
  • Me and my mate watch practically every football game that is on on Saturday.

We also have a game. Whenever they mention on Gillette Soccer Special, a goalkeeper, commentater, manager, scorer someone who has a link with Charlton, we say "used to play for Charlton".

So, teams like Orient always keep us on our toes!

What it does is keep us interested in what is going on in football. Some of the more obscure players, like loanees are a challenge.

Lloyd Omosuzi anyone?

Elliott Omosuzi.
  • Thank you Ricky. I was half right!

Half right is generous - it's Elliott Omozusi :-)
  • Wouldn't pay to watch another team live as doesn't feel the same without Charlton. If i watch any games on the box then most of the time i will have a small bet on it to keep it interesting.
  • I occasionally watch games on the TV, but it is as much a social thing as anything, doing it with mates etc. Likewise major tournaments like WC or Euros. I'm happy to take in a non league game where I can watch while having a drink and soak up the atmosphere and I know a lot of mates who do the same - one has even started following Faversham around the country which included a trip to Guernsey (mind you as his first allegiance is to Palace this is an improvement). This is a completely different experience to Charlton as I normally have kids with me and so don't have a drink. If I had more time and money, I would probably go to more away games first rather than a neutral game.
    I take a strong interest in other games in whatever division we are in, and a passing interest in the others.

• I've got 3 older brothers and growing up my second eldest brother was definitely the most football mad. He got the footie annuals, the footie board games, Subbuteo, Pro Action Soccer, football crockery, football bedsheets, you name it. He was also a Wimbledon fan and went with a friend fairly regularly.

Nowadays he barely watches the game. Apart from a few Euros or World Cup games/qualifiers here or there or maybe the Champions League final. Pretty much entirely due to the fact his team doesn't exist anymore.

Can imagine if Charlton met the same fate (God forbid) I'd probably lose a lot of interest as well.

Half right is generous - it's Elliott Omozusi :-)
    To be fair, he was only really half a player. Another one of those in the 'best forgotten' category.