Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Other Football or Charlton

Personally for me it's other football. Don't get me wrong, I love Charlton. I've had a season ticket for most of my life, not this year as I'm living up north but have still managed to get to 9 away games and 5/6 home thus far and certainly not a fair weather supporter - if they even exist at our club... and Charlton have made me cry with happiness and sadness over the years (fulham home prem relegation season sticks out I balled my eyes out!) but I do take more of an interest in all things football rather than those Charlton related and think I love the game as a whole more than I love the club, although I am sure there are a lot of people out there who couldn't give a toss about for instance England, BPL or Champions League and suspect I may be in a minority.

For example, I would much rather watch MOTD then sit through the football league show waiting for our highlights and usually don't even watch it, I am much more engaged in the premier league, la liga and Champions League then I am with any charlton related news unless it's huge, and I can honestly say I support England just as much as I support Charlton.

Which do you prefer?

Comments

• I like turtles
  • I get your point @NomadicAddick. I enjoy non league football - I enjoy the friendlier atmosphere, I can park near the ground, I can get a beer easily and usually see a decent competitive game. I would also say that I prefer cricket to football, but Charlton is a big part of my life and will always remain so.
  • Charlton. Haven't watched much PL since we left.
  • I like both Premier & Championship football. I only go to CAFC's northern and midlands games and the very occasional home game .. this year I had a debate with myself whether to buy a season ticket for Hull in the premier or Rotherham in the champ .. Rotherham won out so I get to see the other champ sides and can watch the games from a fairly neutral standpoint.
    I also make the odd venture to other league and non league grounds apart from CAFC away games: Hull, Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Leeds, Grimsby, Gainsborough, Lincoln .. don't ever let it be said that I never venture into dangerous and exotic territories ((:>)
  • I wouldn't say I'm overly bothered about either these days. I still care, but defeat just leaves a shrug of the shoulders feeling, and as for the prem I still watch most games just couldn't give a toss who wins or loses (Palace aside).
  • Charlton with a sprinkling of Prem (although limited cos of how well Palace are doing) and England
    I'm not a member of any other football forum except one that has away numbers :-)
  • Watch as much football as I can, from premiership and football league to la liga, serie a and bundesliga, to champions league and europa league, to the MLS and other random leagues that occasionally get airtime
  • I don't like the premier league at all. Nor do I like the champions league. I don't even like football very much anymore just like the days out
  • Sponsored links:

• genevajim said:

Although I moved 4 years ago, I still go to most games, home and away, but I am a Charlton fan, not a football fan, and the really sad thing is I cannot understand anyone who doesn't feel the same way.

Even fans of other teams? ;)
  • I might watch the occasional game on TV but without Charlton, i would probably lose interest in football, other then watching the World and European cups every other year as i still love international football even if i despise the people who run these tournaments.
  • Since having to give up my season tickets due to the ever increasing costs of actually getting to the Valley, I only do northern away's now with the odd home game. I actually watch a wide variety of football when I do not have a Charlton game, I am lucky to get regular corporate freebies at Old Trafford, will pop along to Bolton or Wigan but by far and away the most matches I watch are at Stockport County. The standard of football at Edgeley Park is now obviously woeful but what a refreshing change to watch 22 blokes giving it their all, no sideways and backwards passing and the best bit - no cheating. Always 100% CAFC but do need my 'live' footy fix every now and then.
  • Never thought about that Talal, but I couldn't care less about any other team.
  • Charlton really although do enjoy watching Margate and other non-league teams from time to time
  • Used to follow all things football, especially since the birth of the prem, but rarely follow anything other than Charlton these days.............
  • I always feel guilty going to other clubs matches , went to Chelsea v Barca the other year and it just felt wrong
    And I almost felt like I was cheating on Charlton
    Actually have no interest in going to see local non league chuff or anyone else really can watch as much as you like on the box
    Prolly get more tense and excited watching my 9 year old play for his team than I do about Charlton , which is really saying something
  • Fully understandable. Blood is also thicker than water and it's what parenthood is all about :wink:
  • edited February 2015
    Couldn't give a flying about England. Rather Charlton got promoted than England won the world cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton first and only watch other football if it has a Charlton link ex player, loan. Next sport and follow the Blackhawks but find it easier just to watch regardless of any Chicago connection
  • Could give a flying about England. Rather Charlton got promoted than England won the world cup

Couldn't then.
  • edited February 2015
    I enjoy going to games that do not involve the emotional attachment when watching Charlton.

When abroad I will always try to get to a game, as a result I have seen football in 24 different countries.

Stopping off in Birmingham yesterday after staying in Wigan overnight, I went to see Boldmere St Michaels v Loughborough Uni in a Midland Premier League game, similar level to Kent League.

Groundhopping is not everybody's cup of tea, in a way I enjoy it more than watching Charlton.
  • I started following Dartford back in the late seventies. I've since moved abroad, so lately, I've tried to combine trips home with matches at the Valley and Princes Park. In the years when I simply did'nt have the dosh to fly back and see the Addicks, I've watched Spanish football. I follow/support Deportivo La Coruña over here, and my ideal weekend is one where Depor, Charlton and Dartford all win. The year Charlton went up to the championship, Dartford were promoted to the Connie Prem and Depor to La Liga. Season's don't come much better than that.
    My opportunities to watch football are limited, but to the dissappointment of my Spanish mates, I loathe the Premier if we're not in it, so they all know more about the latest movements at Stamford Bridge and Anfield than me. It's not a problem. We beat Wigan 3-0 away on friday, and despite all the backroom problems I'm happy. Depor got beat in the Galician derby by Vigo last night, which bought me down a bit, but I'm still buzzing about the presence of Bulot, Watt and Igor.
    Other football? yes, but my home is the Valley, even if I'm in exile.
  • Next Saturday while y'all are drooling over the return of Jedi Powell, I'll be watching Rotherham v Millwall .. now that will be a REAL six pointer .. first of course there is the small matter of a trip to Derby
  • Next Saturday while y'all are drooling over the return of Jedi Powell, I'll be watching Rotherham v Millwall .. now that will be a REAL six pointer .. first of course there is the small matter of a trip to Derby

In the away end? Put your Charlton top on and steam in. ;-)
  • Charlton ...rarely watch any other games
  • Charlton by a long way. Other football is good, don't get me wrong, but my passion is with The Addicks, they matter more than any other team / game.
  • RedPanda said:

Without Charlton I think I'd dislike football. I hate the Premiership, Sky, the media, the players, the cheating, the money, FIFA, how the World Cup is a festival of corporate greed, etc.

However, I do have a respect for other leagues (especially Serie A) and have a big interest in fan culture. Therefore as you may know, I have done some foreign groundhopping and I love turning up somewhere you can't speak the language and seeing how things work, what you can eat and drink, how the fans organise, what they sing, and all that. If Charlton ever went under or I fully withdrew support I'd spend more weekends on the continent.

No cheating in the championship then?
  • Since having to give up my season tickets due to the ever increasing costs of actually getting to the Valley, I only do northern away's now with the odd home game. I actually watch a wide variety of football when I do not have a Charlton game, I am lucky to get regular corporate freebies at Old Trafford, will pop along to Bolton or Wigan but by far and away the most matches I watch are at Stockport County. The standard of football at Edgeley Park is now obviously woeful but what a refreshing change to watch 22 blokes giving it their all, no sideways and backwards passing and the best bit - no cheating. Always 100% CAFC but do need my 'live' footy fix every now and then.

Lucky!!?? I think that's pretty unlucky frankly! Not just coz its old Trafford but because you go along with corporate sycophants who jump on the corporate football bandwagon coz its 'en vogue'! Couldn't think of anything more depressing than to watch a game of football with a bunch of people who really couldn't give a hoot except for the free cava and caviar tit bits!

Stick to Stockport, it's real world.