Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alou Diarra

2»

Comments

• Tal Ben Who? Seriously though, classy touch, decent passing and plenty of experience alongside Bauer bringing the power and pace and that's a partnership most teams would love to have. Sarr is going to have wait a fair old while for a first team league chance on this kind of form!
  • edited August 2015
    In terms of footballing ability he's probably one of the best, if not the best in the league. How many other Championship players have or will play in a world cup final? And how many have or will captain a top international side? Sure he's past his best, but his class is clear for all to see.
  • The guy is class. Thought he was very good in midfield last season too.
  • Absolute class, we are lucky to have him. Probably our best player this season so far in my eyes. Him and Bauer at the back are superb and give us such a good platform. Feel slightly sorry for Sarr but his time will come.

Would Gomez get into our central defence if he had stayed this season.
  • Brian Clough signed Dave Mackay for Derby when he was nearly 34 and probably seen as well past his prime (34 y/old players back then were nowehere near as fit and durable as they are today). That was an inspired signing,and I'm beginning to think Diarra might be our equivalent.

His relative lack of success in the UK to date might work in our favour - I wonder whether he'd like one more season in the Prem to show what he can do. Certainly seems to have the desire, no way is he just here for the pay packet.

Like that ...Good comparison
  • Brian Clough signed Dave Mackay for Derby when he was nearly 34 and probably seen as well past his prime (34 y/old players back then were nowehere near as fit and durable as they are today). That was an inspired signing,and I'm beginning to think Diarra might be our equivalent.

His relative lack of success in the UK to date might work in our favour - I wonder whether he'd like one more season in the Prem to show what he can do. Certainly seems to have the desire, no way is he just here for the pay packet.

If you're right, we'll win the league this season and The Prem next season :smile:

If you're right, we'll win the league this season and The Prem next season :smile:
    Sounds about right to me
  • How many other CBs in English football have played in a World Cup final?
  • edited August 2015
    Right. Yesterday's performance was Diarra's best for us. But I have my reservations. At 34, we all seem to be in agreement that he's probably past his best, and I think that it might show in ways that are currently easily overlooked cos we're undefeated and conceding relatively few goals.

He seems to take a quarter or half second too long to make a decision - on occasion. If a nippy striker was up for it, there MIGHT be a game-changing mistake induced. Like I said though, obviously hasn't happened yet. His passing for me, while broadly alright, isn't always optimal. I also think he can get caught in possession a couple of times. I actually don't think his technique is great, but to be fair - not fucked that up yet (touch wood).

As for the positives - many of them. Good in the air, assured partner to the younger Bauer, gets blocks in and positionally plays pretty well. Maybe I carry an inherent bias from when I saw his less-than-stellar pre-season performances at Welling and Dag & Red, but I'd rather temper things than have all of us be shouting from the rooftops for all our players.

While I obviously don't want things to go off the rails, it might be worth nipping any potential problems in the bud.

Alou swung me round a lot yesterday, but I still need a few more games before I'd be completely happy to admit I'm wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 Golfie or Viewfinder in disguise?
  • PaddyP17 said:

Right. Yesterday's performance was Diarra's best for us. But I have my reservations. At 34, we all seem to be in agreement that he's probably past his best, and I think that it might show in ways that are currently easily overlooked cos we're undefeated and conceding relatively few goals.

He seems to take a quarter or half second too long to make a decision - on occasion. If a nippy striker was up for it, there MIGHT be a game-changing mistake induced. Like I said though, obviously hasn't happened yet. His passing for me, while broadly alright, isn't always optimal. I also think he can get caught in possession a couple of times. I actually don't think his technique is great, but to be fair - not fucked that up yet (touch wood).

As for the positives - many of them. Good in the air, assured partner to the younger Bauer, gets blocks in and positionally plays pretty well. Maybe I carry an inherent bias from when I saw his less-than-stellar pre-season performances at Welling and Dag & Red, but I'd rather temper things than have all of us be shouting from the rooftops for all our players.

While I obviously don't want things to go off the rails, it might be worth nipping any potential problems in the bud.

Alou swung me round a lot yesterday, but I still need a few more games before I'd be completely happy to admit I'm wrong.

How many centre backs in this division can cope with strikers with pace? I think Alou is doing just fine
  • edited August 2015
    I said in another thread somewhere that he will be one of our key players this season. Because of his ability he is a top class player. He would start for premier league teams, if he was at say Norwich or Bournemouth he would play every week without a doubt.

He has captained the French national side FFS this is a player that we are very lucky to have. I think he is a class act myself.
  • Some players can play, but he knows how to play football. That will hold in good stead and the youngsters will learn from him.
  • Must admit I thought he would be a fringe player but on present form i'd recommend we enjoy watching a truly exceptional footballer. Imperious in the air, calm and assured on the ball.

Similar to Jorge Costa - these players don't come along that often
  • PaddyP17 Golfie or Viewfinder in disguise?

I assume that's meant to be a dig of some description, but I can assure you that I have only ever posted under this name on CL.
  • I'll admit I really wasn't keen on the idea of playing an aging centre mid as our starting centre back, it was more of a case of needs must with our lack of CB's.

4 games in...I'll let Luzon have this one.

We've now got what seems like one of the best centre back pairings in the division.