Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wigan Ath vs Charlton Ath | Friday 20th Feb 2015 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic
7.45pm Kick-Off
Referee – CHRISTOPHER KAVANAGH

INTRODUCTION

Despite the uncertainty off the pitch with certain boardroom decisions and actions, last Saturday’s 3-0 convincing and fairly comfortable victory over Brentford has lifted the mood a little and a Friday night victory over Wigan would see the Addicks achieve back-to-back victories for the first time since August.

While life at The Valley has been a bit of a rollercoaster in the past twelve months, the feeling at Wigan must be very similar.

After reaching the semi-finals of the FA Cup last season, the Latics were tipped to get promoted this campaign, but a tough start to the season as well as the off-the-field allegations surrounding chairman Dave Whelan has seen Wigan decline to the relegation zone of the Championship.

A win for the hosts would mean they would be only three points off 21st place, while victory for Guy Luzon’s side could take them up to 12th place as long as Birmingham do not get any points against Middlesbrough tonight (Wednesday).

THE OPPOSITION

As mentioned before, Wigan’s recent decline in the last few years has been a real eye-opener.

It’s likely that the Lancashire side will be down towards the bottom of the Championship at the end of the season, unless manager Malky Mackay can help stabilise the team and lead them to a ‘great escape’.

Before Tuesday night, Wigan had only one won once since Mackay took over in November, but after defeating Reading 1-0 at the Madejski Stadium in midweek, some confidence may have been injected into the side ahead of the tie on Friday night.

January’s transfer window was a busy one for Mackay and Wigan as a number of players came in and out of the DW stadium. Harry Maguire and youngster Seyi Ojo arrived on loan from Hull and Liverpool respectively, while Kim Bo-Kyung arrived from Cardiff to link up with Mackay again, despite the 42 year-old’s infamous texts about the South Korean international.

ONE TO WATCH – JAMES McCLEAN

My player to watch this weekend is Wigan winger: James McClean.

The midfielder was once a regular feature in the Premier League and his talents looked as if he was going to have a long career in the division.

However, he has been unable to help Wigan out the relegation zone as yet, but still shouldn’t be underestimated.

On his day, McClean can cause a number of problems with his favourable left-foot and his pace down the wing.

If Wigan are going to get anything out of the game on Friday night, they shall be looking at the Republic of Ireland international to be at his best and guide his side to victory.

LINE-UP

Luzon’s selection against Brentford was spot on and if it wasn’t for enforced injury changes, I’m certain the Israeli would have kept the same side.

Stephen Henderson will hopefully be fit enough after showing what the Addicks missed in his solid performance against the Bees.

In defence, Chris Solly is likely to start at right-back, while Roger Johnson will hopefully be fit enough after cracking a rib last weekend. Rhoys Wiggins is likely to miss out following a first-half injury last Saturday, so Morgan Fox should deputise again.

In midfield, Yoni Buyens should replace the injured Johnnie Jackson although Christophe Lepoint will also be in contention to replace the skipper.

Frederic Bulot is likely to keep his place on the left side of midfield after his brilliant performance last Saturday.

Igor Vetokele and Tony Watt will hopefully be fit enough to partner each other upfront again.

PREDICTION

A solid performance and a win to go with it.

Wigan Athletic 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Think Wigan will be up for this - 2-1 to them
  • edited February 2015
    Wigan haven't won at home since Aug 30. 2-0 to Guy Luzon's red army
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Rossman92 said:

Guy Luzons red army

Wash your mouth out.
  • Wigan 0 Charlton 2, with goals coming from Igor & Watt.
  • I would take a draw but I fear a narrow defeat 2-1 Wigan
  • Uboat said:

Rossman92 said:

Guy Luzons red army

Wash your mouth out.
    Don't be so critical. Anyone can miss out an apostrophe.
    Fixed it
  • I think we will nick it
  • Sponsored links:

• A point at best
    3-2 Wigan and it's all the refs fault or how unlucky we are to be playing Wigan now they have turned the corner etc etc

• 0-2 to us and the cruelly misjudged Luzon nominated for the Nobel peace prize and as the next Pope

or

2-0 to Wigan and clueless Luzor condemned as the devil incarnate's hand-puppet driving the network bus at full speed to Doomsville SE7.

• We will f$*k up.

1-0 to the pie munching pier less soap dodging norverners!
  • Was quite confident after Saturday but with Johnson probably out and Wigan winning the other night I'm suddenly not so sure. May yet decide to go. Think I have a free day tomorrow as something else looks as though it will fall through.
  • I fancy the addicks to win this 2-1, match thread from 6.45
  • Charlton 2-0 win followed by Guy Luzon's wife taking to Twitter to tell us that the only things fake are her 34DD's.

Next Whose Rack?
  • Was quite confident after Saturday but with Johnson probably out and Wigan winning the other night I'm suddenly not so sure. May yet decide to go. Think I have a free day tomorrow as something else looks as though it will fall through.

Come on, SB ! You know it makes sense !

• I can see us getting a draw out of this. 1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    Wigan is a slowly improving team and so are we .. an exciting draw looks on the cards .. Wigan REALLY need the three points and will not settle for a draw, one point would do us well and I think that we'll get it, though I am not advocating a defensive Addicks' display.
    Team as unchanged as possible from last time - I can't really express how good it is to see Henderson back in goal at last - I hope that Johnson is fit, if not, then Bikey is the man to replace him.

Wigan Athletic 1 v Charlton Athletic 1
  • Not saying it'll happen but should Luzon build on the win against Brentford by winning the next three games, not only will we be in an interesting position for the second half of the season but could it change the views of some fans?

Hate to say though the fact that Wigan havent won at home since August says it all for me and will probably mean a Home win going down in Charlton folklore along with Southampton @ St. Marys (Hadnt won a home game at their new Stadium until we showed up) and Fernando Morientes (Hadnt scored once for Liverpool until they came to the Valley).

Still going to continue with my usual routine of never predicting a Charlton defeat so... Wigan Athletic 0-2 Charlton Athletic
  • If anyone will grab all 3 points and we stick to Saturday's tactics then I think it'll be us however money on 1-1, nothing inspiring but another point towards safety.
  • Grab an early lead, the natives will get restive and we should be able to use our pace up front to pick them off with Eagles scoring the decisive goal (a former Bolton, Burnley, Blackpool player it's "written" that he will silence the Wigan boo boys)
  • score draw I reckon and I'd take that now like a shot

fair play to the hardy 300 who will travel
  • ...........Igor Watt
    bulot......................JAG
    ......cousins Buyers
    fox Bikey TBH Sally
    .........Henderson

A battling performance from the addicks sees us win 2-1 as we score in the 89th minute after Wigan commit too many forward on search of the three points!

Watt and cousins to score!

COYR!!!
  • ...........Igor Watt
    ......cousins Buyers
    fox Bikey TBH Sally
    .........Henderson

A battling performance from the addicks sees us win 2-1 as we score in the 89th minute after Wigan commit too many forward on search of the three points!

COYR!!!

Good team... Have you put Bikey ahead of Johnson in case of injury or do you think Bikey should start regardless?
  • ...........Igor Watt
    ......cousins Buyers
    fox Bikey TBH Sally
    .........Henderson

COYR!!!

Good team... Have you put Bikey ahead of Johnson in case of injury or do you think Bikey should start regardless?
    Assuming Johnson wiggins and Jackson are all out otherwise I'd put them all straight back in...

Think it will take more than six days to recover from a cracked rib....
  • ...........Igor Watt
    ......cousins Buyers
    fox Bikey TBH Sally
    .........Henderson

COYR!!!

Assuming Johnson wiggins and Jackson are all out otherwise I'd put them all straight back in...

Think it will take more than six days to recover from a cracked rib....
    God yeah be shocked if Wiggins and Jackson appear...

I guess with Johnson it could be a case where they'll pump him with injections for the rest of the season and then deal with the ribs in the summer
  • edited February 2015
    ---------------Henderson
    Solly---------Ben Haim-----Johnson/Bikey--------Fox

Gudmundsson---Cousins---Eagles-----Bulot

-------------Vetokele---Watt

Subs
    Dmitrovic
    Gomez
    Bikey/Johnson
    Wilson
    Lepoint
    Harriott
    Church

0-1 WIN another assist from Watt on a Vetokele goal.