Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bikey or Gomez?

Despite playing nearly an hour with a cracked rib on Saturday, I'm sure when he woke up on Sunday RJ isn't thinking of playing through the pain barrier. So bearing in mind Wiggins also may be out, do we go with Gomez or Bikey? It may be that Bikey had become complacent or was he just tired or struggling with a niggle and he will up his game on Friday. Or could we move TBH to left with a rookie either side? Any other options?

Comments

• Gomez. Every time.
  • Too soon for Gomez at centre half, I would go with Bikey.
  • It'll be Bikey, and I'm 75% sure that's the right decision given Fox at LB.
  • Bikey, can't place Fox and Gomez together in the championship just yet
  • Addicted said:

It'll be Bikey, and I'm 75% sure that's the right decision given Fox at LB.

What about the other 25%?
  • Bikey, considering that Gomez has had no experience at CB this season. Gomez might be required to play RB on Tuesday anyway if Solly is rested
  • edited February 2015

Addicted said:

It'll be Bikey, and I'm 75% sure that's the right decision given Fox at LB.

What about the other 25%?
    Well that would be Gomez
  • Bikey. Two inexperienced rookie defenders side by side in such a high pressure game is asking for trouble. Hopefully the Beast will have learned something from his brief sojourn on the bench and will come back to his early season best.
  • Is Bikey the better CB in the long term? No.

Gomez' potential far outweighs any question that he will be better than Bikey ever was.

But, for now, with the possibility of Fox being required to play because of the injury to Wiggins, it has to be Bikey.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't get all this "Gomez not ready" guff. How do we know unless he's given a go? I wasn't too sure about him playing at RB, but he's always done himself proud when wearing the shirt. I realise at CB, there's less room for error, but it's his natural position and what he lacks in experience, he makes up with his ability.

I'd personally give him a go...............
  • I also dont get this stuff about Gomez and Fox in same team - to me, Bikey is no good influence to anyone in the team - put Joe in and i bet you see the 2 have terrific games.
  • edited February 2015

I also dont get this stuff about Gomez and Fox in same team - to me, Bikey is no good influence to anyone in the team - put Joe in and i bet you see the 2 have terrific games.

Bikey was awesome at the start of the season. Maybe as others have said a positive atmosphere in training this week has got his head back right and he can regain that form. Think we need to build on Sat and at least get a draw. Just not sure its the right time for a gamble.
  • One great thing - we havnt got Thuram in goal , anybody who went last season will vouch for that - gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
  • I also dont get this stuff about Gomez and Fox in same team - to me, Bikey is no good influence to anyone in the team - put Joe in and i bet you see the 2 have terrific games.

Lots of people mentioned how much more assured Fox was when he had Johnson giving him orders and backing him up. Which is not to say Gomez can't do that but it's a lot to be piling on top of him in addition to his own responsibility frankly, especially given Wigan are a pretty big team, will fight pretty hard/dirty and have plenty of experience. Bikey was genuinely a juggernaut in defence early on, if he can replicate that we need that kind of muscle in a game like this. I have no qualms about Gomez, and few about Fox, but both together in this game? Seems very risky to me.
  • Let's get safe first and then blood Gomez at centre half. Another pre season and he will be ready for next season.
  • Bikey... Remember the Cardiff game and although it wasnt a poor performance, Gomez was torn to shreads by Kenwyne Jones
  • Bikey ...I think he will pick up on Saturday's enthusiasm and be back as he was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gomez. Once he gets in the team at CB he'll be there to stay. Bikey is better in the air but Gomez is better in every other way.
  • I would not play tbh or bikey ever again they are shocking and look forward to tbh contact running out in the summer
  • Bikey. Nowhere near as bad a player as some have been making out lately.
  • edited February 2015
    cafctom said:

Bikey. Nowhere near as bad a player as some have been making out lately.

Agreed and as for TBH, apart from Watford away where no one covered themselves in glory and slight dip in form recently he has been our stand out defender as evidenced by the 'Players Marks' stats.
  • edited February 2015
    Bikey's form has dipped lately but before that he has been our best player. Being dropped on Saturday may have been the kick up the backside he needed. Bikey 100% every time. Gomez will have his time but we shouldn't forget he is only 17.
  • Bikey's form has dipped lately but before that he has been our best player. Being dropped on Saturday may have been the kick up the backside he needed. Bikey 100% every time. Gomez will have his time but we shouldn't forget he is only 17.

Exactly, Bikey of 2015 has been as bad as the Bikey of 2014 was good (I am generalising for effect I admit.) I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Gomez will prove to be one of the best defenders the academy has produced but that doesn't mean he is totally ready just yet. Bring him on slowly and cannily instead of hurling him in and shaking his confidence - look at Waggy's deterioration through mishandling on his first few games. The likes of Shelvey are the exception, not the rule. Even Solly has taken time to become the star he is today.
  • Solly was played out of position at first, so was Shelvey, and so was Gomez, which probably hasn't done him any good. I hope he ignored the criticism he received by some for his crossing and final ball into the box, because he's a CB, and that's where he excels.
  • Do we have confirmation that Johnson has definitely cracked a rib? He said he suspects it, but there has been no confirmation that he is out from what I have seen?
  • Fox at lb and bikey and tal as we shouldn't have 2 youngsters in the backline
  • Until we can all trust fox or Gomez like we trust solly