Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnson injured (cracked rib)

2»

Comments

• If he is out and it will be a real shame then i would like to see Joe Gomez given his chance in his preferred position

Gomez alongside Fox on the left hand side would be a massive risk, Johnson was helping organise Fox on Saturday
  • edited February 2015

Roger Johnson the new Jorge Costa - Andre Bikey the new Sam Sodje

Harsh on Sodje
    Whenever I have seen Bikey this season he's given 100% and was a bit of a hero to the (travelling) fans. Bikey has always had a fickle type of personality, he seems to be a bit of a sulker, still a decent pro though and let's hope that if he was having a bit of a sulk for whatever reason, he's back in a good mood now.
    Johnson has arrived at a time when our defence was creaking. He's a voluble, experienced and able defender who is much better than Bikey in the air, something which needed addressing. We have been fortunate this season to have two such experienced defenders as Ban Haim and Bikey in the team. IF Johnson is unfit for Wigan, I would have few qualms about Bikey coming back into the team. Gomez is a more than decent prospect but I would not select him in front of Bikey as this point in his career
  • If he is out and it will be a real shame then i would like to see Joe Gomez given his chance in his preferred position

I am with you 100% on this one It's a shame about Johnson as he had a good game on sat. I really rate Gomez & would also like to see him in the centre of defence.

• Roger Johnson the new Jorge Costa - Andre Bikey the new Sam Sodje

Harsh on Sodje
    Whenever I have seen Bikey this season he's given 100% and was a bit of a hero to the (travelling) fans. Bikey has always had a fickle type of personality, he seems to be a bit of a sulker, still a decent pro though and let's hope that if he was having a bit of a sulk for whatever reason, he's back in a good mood now.
    Johnson has arrived at a time when our defence was creaking. He's a voluble, experienced and able defender who is much better than Bikey in the air, something which needed addressing. We have been fortunate this season to have two such experienced defenders as Ban Haim and Bikey in the team. IF Johnson is unfit for Wigan, I would have few qualms about Bikey coming back into the team. Gomez is a more than decent prospect but I would not select him in front of Bikey as this point in his career
    Have to disagree, Lincs, as I think Bikey began the season well but has been dire recently. He also seems a very negative influence on the pitch. His body language is bizarre at times as if he does not care or is unfit. But I worry about his impact on the rest of the players on the pitch. Johnson was vocal and extremely positive, so let's hope it's not too serious.
    I agree, it may be too much to throw Gomez in at the deep end with Fox as well.
    Why do we keep getting so many injuries!!! One or two good games from a player and they get injured.

• He certainly didn't sound like 'relegation' Roger from the commentary and comments by others at the game!

Obviously very early doors but we could've stolen a gem of a championship player from wolves here...
  • I played on fo 20mins when I done mine to get to half time, thought I had been winded, it will hurt like a Mo Fo the next day.

Month out minimum I reckon.
  • Bikey has had a much needed rest and the positivity in the squad is infectious. He is a good player and I am sure he will not let us down.
  • Plus Hendo is back, he'll give everyone confidence including Bikey
  • Is there any sort of protection you can wear for such an injury?

Full blown body armour.

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015

Is there any sort of protection you can wear for such an injury?

Full blown body armour.

Or...

"Man Utd's Ander Herrera could wear a CORSET to protect cracked rib - Van Gaal"

express.co.uk/sport/football/524040/Ander-Herrera-Corset-cracked-rib-Manchester-United

(Their CAPS, not mine.)
  • Player who did should be punished retrospectively. Why should we be without a player and Brentford aren't? That should have been a straight red.

Andre Gray was the player in question,think its been said in the post match views how he got away with it. It wasn't his first foul of the game and it should've been his last. Poor decision from the ref.
    I've seen Brentford twice this season, they are a dirty side even without McCormack playing .. referees seem to be keen to let them get away with a lot and the same goes for Middlesbrough, Watford and Bournemouth .. perhaps promotion seeking teams with high profile managers are given a lot more leeway than the rest .. not that I am at all biased or squint eyed about this of course
    I've always had the view that the Referees are more lenient if your towards the top of the League rather than at the bottom... Remember when we played Birmingham City (?) away in the Premier League when we'd had a good start to the season, we won 1-0 (?) but you see Chris Powell clearly handball on the line yet nothing gets given against him
  • Andre Gray was the player in question,think its been said in the post match views how he got away with it. It wasn't his first foul of the game and it should've been his last. Poor decision from the ref.

Totally correct, Gray had been pushing his luck right from the start, but we had a referee with no bottle.
  • I've cracked ribs a few time, and have always spoken to the doctors, nurses, etc about the injury. ( I have always taken a somewhat morbid view of my various injuries!)

Firstly, you can not wear any protection. Binding the ribs, (as they used to) increases the possibility of the fluid on the lungs and pneumonia.

Also, with cracked ribs, the length of time needed to heal is dependent on the location of the injury. The more anchored the rib is (how little the area of damage moves when breathing) the faster it takes to heal. This isn't medical, it's simple engineering!

But, after all is said and done, I think we're talking 4-6 weeks.
  • I've cracked ribs a few time, and have always spoken to the doctors, nurses, etc about the injury. ( I have always taken a somewhat morbid view of my various injuries!)

Firstly, you can not wear any protection. Binding the ribs, (as they used to) increases the possibility of the fluid on the lungs and pneumonia.

Also, with cracked ribs, the length of time needed to heal is dependent on the location of the injury. The more anchored the rib is (how little the area of damage moves when breathing) the faster it takes to heal. This isn't medical, it's simple engineering!

But, after all is said and done, I think we're talking 4-6 weeks.

But then it wouldn't be protected 24 hours a day, but only for the 90 minutes of a match and a bit of training, especially if we play him at Wigan, and then give him the next week off (with Derby probably less of a priority)
  • edited February 2015
    If the bloke is injured then there's not much we can do on this site to diagnose and affect his recovery time! It's shit that he's come in and done well for 90 mins, half of which he was injured, but Bikey/Gomez means we're alright. Along with GKs we've been keen on signing CBs.

Id be far more concerned if it was one of our only two decent strikers. Or JBG.
  • Kap10 said:

Seems to be the theme of this season, just as things seem to eb going in the right direction, fate slaps us in the face.

Or a dirty clogger in Andre Gray.