Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnson injured (cracked rib)

Presumably this rules him out for Wigan on Friday?

Shame if that's the case.

Fk

Comments

• He played the second half on Sat with it...
  • yep thought he had a decent game Saturday although he'd suffer up against a striker with any sort of real pace I suspect
  • Hard to imagine playing with a cracked rib, incredibly painful.
  • And dangerous - another whack on it and he could puncture his lung...
  • edited February 2015
    I thought he'd done that at the time, because of the way he was clutching his chest afterwards. Good attitude to carry on.
  • I thought he'd done that at the time, because of the way he was clutching his chest afterwards. Good attitude to carry on.

He received a couple of injections at half time to he could play on apparently.
  • Bit torn on this, playing with a cracked rib risks even more serious and potentially life threatening injury, if the player who got him first time had got another one in. Yes a great attitude but not sure the club neglected its duty of care.

Still it puts to bed that he is not committed to the cause, which I believed before Saturday and if he had a drink after then I am sure it would only have been to dull the pain.
  • Impressive performance then. Trouble is, a cracked rib doesn't heal quickly, does it?

I wonder if he is a Phil Chapple recruit
  • Sponsored links:

• did the same last season playing football.

i know he had injections but still don't see how he could have carried on.

it proper hurts and affects your breathing pattern and, as he says, you know you've done it.

i couldn't play for 6 weeks afterwards.
  • I've cracked a rib on two separate occasions whilst sparring. I couldn't spar again for over a month but I could train. I would be surprised if he plays the next game or two.
  • What I like about that interview is how he praises Fox.. I think having Johnson playing alongside Fox will help him to adapt to the senior game! In an interview at the end of last season Fox said he was helped by having Dervite alongside I know it was said on a jokey way but you could tell he meant it... and I can't help but think having Bikey alongside didn't help him!
  • Kap10 said:

Seems to be the theme of this season, just as things seem to eb going in the right direction, fate slaps us in the face.

Felt this very much happened the moment we saw Wiggins go off followed closely by Jackson
  • Player who did should be punished retrospectively. Why should we be without a player and Brentford aren't? That should have been a straight red.
  • Strap him up, give him a few panadols and he'll be as right as rain .. a tough man is our Roger ((:>)
  • Is there any sort of protection you can wear for such an injury?
  • Player who did should be punished retrospectively. Why should we be without a player and Brentford aren't? That should have been a straight red.

Andre Gray was the player in question,think its been said in the post match views how he got away with it. It wasn't his first foul of the game and it should've been his last. Poor decision from the ref.

Andre Gray was the player in question,think its been said in the post match views how he got away with it. It wasn't his first foul of the game and it should've been his last. Poor decision from the ref.
    I've seen Brentford twice this season, they are a dirty side even without McCormack playing .. referees seem to be keen to let them get away with a lot and the same goes for Middlesbrough, Watford and Bournemouth .. perhaps promotion seeking teams with high profile managers are given a lot more leeway than the rest .. not that I am at all biased or squint eyed about this of course
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there any sort of protection you can wear for such an injury?

Never had cracked ribs but twice had bruised ribs and its one of the most painful injuries, just breathing hurts, so can't think of protection.
  • It was a crafty elbow, done so that the ref couldn't see it.
  • I cracked my rib when I was 17 playing rugby and I was only out for a few weeks. Healed quite quickly. Nowhere near bad as a break. Although he's a fair bit older than 17 so may take him a little longer.
  • edited February 2015
    A bruised rib takes longer to heal I believe.
  • I was surprised (and pleased) he came back out for the second half, though we had already suffered 2 injuries and he was clearly keen to be playing again. Wigan is a must win game, if it worth the risk of playing him?
  • I was surprised (and pleased) he came back out for the second half, though we had already suffered 2 injuries and he was clearly keen to be playing again. Wigan is a must win game, if it worth the risk of playing him?

I know it is a completely different injury BUT, when you consider that playing could cause further damage to the rib/lead to a punctured lung etc then you see things like this, is it really worth risking him?

taken from BBC website

Tottenham Hotspur and a Football Association cardiologist have been found liable for brain damage suffered by a 17-year-old player who suffered a cardiac arrest on the pitch.

Radwan Hamed was nine days into his professional career when he collapsed during a game in Belgium.

The High Court has found Spurs 70% liable for his injuries and Dr Peter Mills 30% liable. The amount they'll have to be pay will be decided next week.

I would say no, BECAUSE it's such a high pressure game. If either team isn't comfortable and pressure/stress builds, things are going to get physical and tempers are going to be frayed and a crafty dig to the ribs is likely - and the damage will be done. I would bench him initially personally.
  • Surely if he plays friday he will he will be targeted in that area?

• Roger Johnson the new Jorge Costa - Andre Bikey the new Sam Sodje