Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unusual things you have taken to The Valley

2»

Comments

• Flowers, Arthur :-)
  • My other half...... went down like a cup of sick

Reminds me of the one and only time I took my first wife to watch us.

Picture the scene.

Its' Easter Monday 1986 and we're at Selhurst playing Norwich. We're standing on the terrace and the former Mrs asks if she can look at the programme which, as all dutiful and under the thumb husbands do, I obliged.

We score. I might be wrong but I think it might have been Jim Melrose. Anyway, back to the story. I turn to her to celebrate. She's not there. Then I look down. And she's sitting on the step reading the programme.

The beginning of the end as they say.
  • pettgra said:

A set of expensive darts. I had been playing at lunchtime and forgetting that I had them took them to an evening game.
    Got home and only had two. My wife suggested that I phone the club to see whether it had been handed in.I said i will pass on that, just in case it was extracted from a policeman's bum.

once had my darts confiscated at Oxford away. If i tried aiming at a player, chances are i would have hit the corner flag

• pettgra said:

A set of expensive darts. I had been playing at lunchtime and forgetting that I had them took them to an evening game.
    Got home and only had two. My wife suggested that I phone the club to see whether it had been handed in.I said i will pass on that, just in case it was extracted from a policeman's bum.

once had my darts confiscated at Oxford away. If i tried aiming at a player, chances are i would have hit the corner flag

Thats it AFKA. A lifers dart team. Sorted.
  • my uncle took in a printer that he had just bought from PC world.
  • We had a drink in the millionth hare pub years ago around Xmas time. My mate won the raffle and took a huge fresh Turkey to the game ! Had a seat of its own it was so big.
  • I love my wife to bits, but every time it's really cold she insists that I take this plastic cover for my seat, even though I have put so many clothes on that feeling cold is not possible. She is ruining my attempts to be the hard man of the North Upper.
  • edited February 2015
    Remember going to a few games as a nipper taking a crate in to stand on.

'Elf and safety...nah thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• I once took a garden spade and fork and someone lit a bonfire on the pitch
  • Once brought in a bottle of red and a bottle of white for 2 ST holders who used to sit directly in front of me as my brother who usually came with me, couldn't make it one day so gave his ticket to somebody else I didn't know and managed to upset the poor couple in front of me into leaving at half time.

So next game we brought them the wine as way of apology.

Someone mentioned a CL darts team? Up for this I play 2x a week in local pub leagues so long as it doesn't clash I'm in. I even still have Charlton darts flights just a shame the club shop don't sell them anymore.
  • This thread may have started a darts team.... im in if it goes
  • Once brought in a bottle of red and a bottle of white for 2 ST holders who used to sit directly in front of me as my brother who usually came with me, couldn't make it one day so gave his ticket to somebody else I didn't know and managed to upset the poor couple in front of me into leaving at half time.

Me and my brother. We've moved to West Upper now, nobody ever brings us wine there!

• A sample. Forgot to drop it off at the doctor's on the way to the Valley.

Piss off

Or was it still ok by the time you got to the docs ?

• Kap, is you post a reply to Pete's?
    I think we should be told!

Deserves a BIG LOL
  • Took the missis once and she asked why people were singing "where are we"?
    "They must know where they are FFS" she commented.
    I think you mean red army darling.
  • Wilma said:

Once brought in a bottle of red and a bottle of white for 2 ST holders who used to sit directly in front of me as my brother who usually came with me, couldn't make it one day so gave his ticket to somebody else I didn't know and managed to upset the poor couple in front of me into leaving at half time.

Me and my brother. We've moved to West Upper now, nobody ever brings us wine there!

You're more likely to get Bovril in the West Upper ;-)

Good to hear you and your brother are still going.
  • Most unusual thing I've taken to a game - optimism
  • Sponsored links:

Someone mentioned a CL darts team? Up for this I play 2x a week in local pub leagues so long as it doesn't clash I'm in. I even still have Charlton darts flights just a shame the club shop don't sell them anymore.

Ooh i'd love some charlton darts flights. How many ya got?
  • Nik naks.

Did you sell them in your shop?
  • My ex was once taken to Spurs by her ex husband. They got there early, looked for somewhere decent to stand and ducked under a crash barrier. She lifted her head a bit early, claret everywhere and they spent the afternoon in A&E.

Ooh i'd love some charlton darts flights. How many ya got?
    Down to the bare bones I'm afraid. I purchased about 12 packs over a year ago now, given some away in that time too and now only have I think 1 maybe 2 unopened packs left.

That said I do have plenty of 'used' Charlton flights which are perfectly playable if only for a casual chuck at the board but I change mine more frequently as I play in pub leagues.

Really don't understand why the club shop stopped selling them as I can guarantee they would all sell.
  • Back in the prem days, the stewards were a lot more thorough in checking your bag when you went in (were in the North Lower anyway).

We had a midweek game after work, and the week before I had been moaning to someone in the office about getting to the game in the nick of time, only to wait to get your bag searched.

About a year before, a PA had left, and to the joy and general amusement of every man in the office - she had left a rather 'personal' gift (probably an old secret santa present) in her drawer. It had remained in the office ever since.

Unknown to me, the guys at work decided to place it in my bag before I went to the game. That's right, upon searching my bag, the steward discovered a whacking great dildo in amongst my umbrella and copy of the standard.

I'd be more embarrassed about getting caught with a copy of The Standard tbf.
  • Nik naks.

Did you sell them in your shop?
    I did
  • ...bloody good seller an all