Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would you take 5 years+ of decline and decay to ultimately be in the position Portsmouth are now...

By that I mean fan ownership?

Is fan ownership a price worth paying to languish in the lower leagues?

Seems like the logical step for a better football generally but has Sky's recent record deal scuppered that?

Comments

• rather than portsmouth would swansea be a more positive comparison ?
  • I think you forget that the other factor here is that they had a great run before the crap with successful seasons in the Premier League, the UEFA cup and two FA Cup Finals - winning one of them.

Would I take where they are now for what they had for those years?

Based on where we are now then, yes, I probably would. I'd love the good times and I'd probably stop going when it all fell apart, but I'd still have those memories of the great times. Interestingly I would never have entertained that thought until Roland came in but we are close to being like a loved pet that is in so much pain that it needs to be put down. With that in mind I'd love a last hurrah before everything we love about the club is gone.
  • I'm currently at University in Portsmouth and I'm doing a project with the club. Whilst the general feeling is that they are happy to be in control, it was a necessity for them to survive. When things go wrong now as they seem to have done the last two seasons in which they have been disappointing, I think they realise that running a club is not that easy. Whilst they are sustainable now, they're not very competitive in the league and when I asked a few where they feel their rightful place is in the league pyramid they always tell me they'd like to think they could be at least where we are at.They're also very aware to get there they are likely to need more investment but still believe they could reach the Championship under the current system but they would probably not be able to push for the Premier League.
  • If that's the best way to bring some identity and soul back to the club then yes!! We're becoming a little bit irrelevant. Sadly there's far too much talking and very little action, just don't think there is enough collective will from supporters anymore. The club reflects its fanbase, grey, middle aged and boring.

• SMW28 said:

I'm currently at University in Portsmouth and I'm doing a project with the club. Whilst the general feeling is that they are happy to be in control, it was a necessity for them to survive. When things go wrong now as they seem to have done the last two seasons in which they have been disappointing, I think they realise that running a club is not that easy. Whilst they are sustainable now, they're not very competitive in the league and when I asked a few where they feel their rightful place is in the league pyramid they always tell me they'd like to think they could be at least where we are at.They're also very aware to get there they are likely to need more investment but still believe they could reach the Championship under the current system but they would probably not be able to push for the Premier League.

I think that is the 'fan' talking. I can't believe that a club without any financial backing can achieve whet they are saying. We have one of the smallest playing budgets in the division, we are losing £5m a season and we are one of the weakest teams in the division, even with players in our squad that cost millions that we didn't have to pay for.

As things stand I would say that they are more likely to fall out of the football league than they are to get into the third division. Their support will fall away unless they improve and then their backing will need to come from an ever decreasing number of supporters - none of whom, I assume, are wealthy enough to drop hundreds of thousands in they they will never see again.

Sadly this is the way of football in this country now and all the while the FAPL keeps getting bigger and bigger TV rights income the rest of football will not be able to compete or survive without injections of capital.

On the plus side, for Portsmouth, I think they are more likely to be bought out than they are to fall out of the football league. I just can't see a club owned by anything that a wealthy benefactor ever getting into the Championship.
  • Dave2l said:

Can imagine the boardroom being like sons of anarchy.

"All those in favour of Roland meeting Mr Mayhem?"
  • Sponsored links:

• lolwray said:

rather than portsmouth would swansea be a more positive comparison ?

Of course it would be more positive, however which is the more realistic would be the follow on question.

• SMW28 said:

Sadly this is the way of football in this country now and all the while the FAPL keeps getting bigger and bigger TV rights income the rest of football will not be able to compete or survive without injections of capital.

This sums it up perfectly and is one of the reasons I am much less interested in football now than back in the 70s when I started going to the Valley - football outside of the premiership is completely unsustainable financially - so increasingly clubs are being taken over by foreign investors with no affinity with the club and its community as either vanity projects or as a big gamble to chase the riches of the FAPL. This and the disastrous direction that Duchatalet is taking us in is driving me to not renew next year - and go and watch Ryman league football instead.
  • SMW28 said:

I'm currently at University in Portsmouth and I'm doing a project with the club. Whilst the general feeling is that they are happy to be in control, it was a necessity for them to survive. When things go wrong now as they seem to have done the last two seasons in which they have been disappointing, I think they realise that running a club is not that easy. Whilst they are sustainable now, they're not very competitive in the league and when I asked a few where they feel their rightful place is in the league pyramid they always tell me they'd like to think they could be at least where we are at.They're also very aware to get there they are likely to need more investment but still believe they could reach the Championship under the current system but they would probably not be able to push for the Premier League.

I think that is the 'fan' talking. I can't believe that a club without any financial backing can achieve whet they are saying. We have one of the smallest playing budgets in the division, we are losing £5m a season and we are one of the weakest teams in the division, even with players in our squad that cost millions that we didn't have to pay for.

As things stand I would say that they are more likely to fall out of the football league than they are to get into the third division. Their support will fall away unless they improve and then their backing will need to come from an ever decreasing number of supporters - none of whom, I assume, are wealthy enough to drop hundreds of thousands in they they will never see again.

On the plus side, for Portsmouth, I think they are more likely to be bought out than they are to fall out of the football league. I just can't see a club owned by anything that a wealthy benefactor ever getting into the Championship.
    As I said I think they're aware that they need further investment but they do have the backing of the local businesses as well as allowing a 24 hour Tesco be built on the car park as a Park and Ride system has been put in place. They pretty much said it would take a miracle to get to the Championship but is within the realms of possibility but they would struggle massively and wouldnt be competitive. as for dwindling attendances it could happen but generally the local public bar students support the club and not the bigger clubs.

• edited February 2015
    SMW28 said:

They're also very aware to get there they are likely to need more investment but still believe they could reach the Championship under the current system but they would probably not be able to push for the Premier League.

SMW28 said:

As I said I think they're aware that they need further investment but they do have the backing of the local businesses as well as allowing a 24 hour Tesco be built on the car park as a Park and Ride system has been put in place. They pretty much said it would take a miracle to get to the Championship but is within the realms of possibility but they would struggle massively and wouldnt be competitive. as for dwindling attendances it could happen but generally the local public bar students support the club and not the bigger clubs.

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood, but to be fair the two statements in bold are, somewhat, different.
  • SMW28 said:

Their support will fall away unless they improve and then their backing will need to come from an ever decreasing number of supporters
    As a one-club town they will always have decent support. We don't have that luxury.
  • No .. 'fan ownership' at CAFC would mean that it'd be a struggle to buy whitewash to mark the pitch and never mind signing and actually paying players and staff. Be interesting to take a plan into the Dragon's Den and to hear the comments from the real money people .. I'm OUT
  • Do I fancy another five years of decline and decay on top the nine years of decline and decay I've already put up with? Now, let me think about that for a while.......
  • colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

Can imagine the boardroom being like sons of anarchy.

"All those in favour of Roland meeting Mr Mayhem?"
    "Previously on Charlton Athletic.........
  • The prospect of Paulie as chairman?

Where do I sign............
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    cafcfan said:

Do I fancy another five years of decline and decay on top the nine years of decline and decay I've already put up with? Now, let me think about that for a while.......

Tell the truth Cafcfan ?

13 years of decline with the 1st division 100 plus points winning team in There.

One season of joy ? please don't take that from us. (:>

• If I want to watch Village football, I will buy a Village teaam thanks.
  • No because we would never get some of those fans back and we would lose another generation of young fans. But.........

we will lose fans if Roland carries on ?

What i would like to see is.
    In no particular order in the boardroom.

Airman Brown, Fanny Fanackapan, Weegie addick, Dick plumb,Suzie sausages
    Henry Irving, Covered end, Red chaser and Afka Bartram.

Plus Paulie and Greenie junior to keep the youth happy.
    (Paulie can take the Minutes and GJ must not leave for a pint before the end of meeting)

This is a good Eclectic mix of people who all Love CAFC.

Quite a few of CL members did not pass the fit and proper persons test.
    (including Soapboxsam) and others are still being investigated by Yewtree.

Are any of our new boardroom Loaded ?

If not i known a super rich Colombian guy who has made a packet in exports.
    His Body guards are great too.

what an exciting future, can't wait.

reckon I could perform a recruitment function
  • edited February 2015

SMW28 said:

They're also very aware to get there they are likely to need more investment but still believe they could reach the Championship under the current system but they would probably not be able to push for the Premier League.

SMW28 said:

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood, but to be fair the two statements in bold are, somewhat, different.
    That's fine. Yeah I was perhaps not specific enough in my first post. 9:36 is early for us students.... maybe.
  • I think we should just give full ownership to SCP.
  • edited February 2015

No because we would never get some of those fans back and we would lose another generation of young fans. But.........

(Paulie can take the Minutes and GJ must not leave for a pint before the end of meeting)

more than happy as long as I can post the minutes on here, need to get my likes up :wink:
  • No because we would never get some of those fans back and we would lose another generation of young fans. But.........

more than happy as long as I can post the minutes on here, need to get my likes up :wink:
    I've a 10 year plan for you to be chairman, but if you want to be liked, i might have to re think. Plus......sorry i lost my thread :blush:

• It's an interesting question. I'd love to see CAFC owned by the fans, especially as a Mutual, but ownership is a huge financial and legal burden.
    If the fortunes of CAFC continue to decline, might the conditions be such that some Addicks seek to establish a 'Phoenix club' (as disgruntled Man Utd fans did in establishing FC United of Manchester) ?