Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Lambert Gone?

2»

Comments

• I look forward to playing Villa next season...

I don't think they can drop two divisons in one relegation .......
  • Surprised he lasted as long as he did - he's been shit at villa
  • Alan Curbishley = ex-Villa player...

He was due to take it prior to Houllier according to him.
  • I look forward to playing Villa next season...

They can't drop straight down to league one.
    I was thinking of our late run to the playoffs...
  • Get lambert being charlton manager out your head straight away as no way in hell anything like that would happen under the current regime.
  • Averaging a point a game over 100 games is pretty crap. It's only the fact that the old maxim of 40 points for safety seems to have slid down to around the 35 point mark that has kept him in a job this long.
  • Rizzo said:

Averaging a point a game over 100 games is pretty crap. It's only the fact that the old maxim of 40 points for safety seems to have slid down to around the 35 point mark that has kept him in a job this long.

I don't have the numbers but I think you'll find that he has had, virtually, no money to spend on the side since he came in. /he has been buying lower league players when the teams around him have been spending millions of established top tier players from all over the world.

I think he is better that he has achieved at Villa and I think the next manager there will fail to exceed Lambert's achievements.

I agree that he would be unlikely to be a good fit with Roland, but he we were able to get him I would, literally, be jumping for joy!
  • Should have bought Dale Stephens. Would have been top of the league...
  • A lot in common with Luzon .. neither can speak English
  • anyone thinking he'd do a good job for us is mistaken. He's clueless

Some might argue that's an improvement but I think it would be out of the frying pan into the surface of the sun
  • Sponsored links:

• Decent manager, with him having to blood all those youngsters from lack of investment I thought he done well. No easy feat.

Can get a team into the prem and keep them there, hardly clueless is he.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

Decent manager, with him having to blood all those youngsters from lack of investment I thought he done well. No easy feat.

From League One in two seasons as well.
  • Rizzo said:

Averaging a point a game over 100 games is pretty crap. It's only the fact that the old maxim of 40 points for safety seems to have slid down to around the 35 point mark that has kept him in a job this long.

I don't have the numbers but I think you'll find that he has had, virtually, no money to spend on the side since he came in. /he has been buying lower league players when the teams around him have been spending millions of established top tier players from all over the world.

I think he is better that he has achieved at Villa and I think the next manager there will fail to exceed Lambert's achievements.

I agree that he would be unlikely to be a good fit with Roland, but he we were able to get him I would, literally, be jumping for joy!
    Benteke cost £7m, spent over £20m in summer 2012 according to wikipedia. While only getting £2.5m in for James Collins.

Would still like him here, proven in league one and championship but never gonna happen in 1,000,000 years.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

Decent manager, with him having to blood all those youngsters from lack of investment I thought he done well. No easy feat.

Adkins did the same and whatever happened to him ? .. managers get tired, shopworn and run out of ideas and motivation, just like musicians, authors, politicians ... and CL contributors
  • Didn't do a very good job of managing Darren Bent though did he? His goals would have been useful when Benteke was out injured.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

Adkins did the same and whatever happened to him ? .. managers get tired, shopworn and run out of ideas and motivation, just like musicians, authors, politicians ... and CL contributors
    Sacked by Reading earlier this season. I think there's definitely something in running out of ideas / enthusiasm.
  • Not good this season but would love him as our manager.

I would feel happy if Neil Warnock was our new manager.

I can't believe I said that.

I got my one and only flag for saying the same thing a year ago. Still annoys me

• If Warnock became manager then I would seriously think about not going.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

To be fair Adkins did it with a team that Pardew put together that cost more than most Championship sides.

Frankly my Nan could have got Southampton promoted from the third division with that squad, and, probably, could have gone on to get them into the playoffs in the Championship.

Nothing against Adkins, personally, but he didn't even win the third division that season. The squad he had that season included the following:

Jose Fonte
    Ricky Lambert
    Kelvin Davis
    Jason Puncheon
    Adam Lallana
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Do any of those names ring any bells?
  • Sponsored links:

Go on then, I'll risk a flag.

I believe that both Dowie and Pardew would be better than the joker we have right now. I'm not saying I want either of them, but I'd feel more confident of staying up!

Go on then, I'll risk a flag.

I believe that both Dowie and Pardew would be better than the joker we have right now. I'm not saying I want either of them, but I'd feel more confident of staying up!
    Agree, anyone would do at the moment. I said Neil Warnock because I couldn't think of anyone I would least want to see as manager, before Luzon appeared.
  • edited February 2015
    A number of Southampton's League One squad went on to prove their class by doing really well in the Premier League. If we had a squad with a few Premier League quality players, I'm sure we wouldn't be down where we are. Unfortunately most of our squad is of League One quality at best.