Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Duchatelet & our ground

2»

Comments

• thenewbie said:

In short - once FFP was essentially discarded, Roland's plan became unworkable. The network would ONLY work if other teams were forced to play financially fair, but they aren't. My personal fear is that given his original plan is no longer workable he will either stop sending any players at all, stop spending any money beyond the literal essentials, or indeed resort to selling off (non-playing) assets and lose interest.

The meeting is very important but we CANNOT get it into our heads that Roland will see the fans are unhappy and A) buy/loan better players or b) sell to a new owner. He might very well just stop putting any money in and flog it to Slater-style chancers in an effort to make what little he can back - leaving us worse off than before.

I am not sure he gives a flying one if we are ecstatic or ready to lynch him. He's a remote figure, ready to deal through a string of people who probably just tell him what he wants to hear and do what he wants them to do. Given he is unlikely to spend a fraction of the time worrying about Charlton as we do, I wonder how much he even knows about the extent of the shambles. Luzon could easily be blaming the current mess on his predecessors, for example.
  • I'm currently judging beers at the "Beer Oscars" in Burton and in the pool of 36 judges there are 3 Belgians. RD is well known to them as a "maverick who is a bit crazy". They say everything is a kind of game to him and would be quite happy to drop 100 million euros on a game that was interesting enough. They say we may never understand his motivation as Belgians have been trying to do this for his other "projects" over the years ( for example his political aspirations a number of years ago). I know this doesn't help much but as a real maverick he may easily get it all wrong ( as he seems to be now) and as a result I am massively pessimistic about our future.

Best opening line to any post ever made on this forum.
  • mogodon said:

thenewbie said:

In short - once FFP was essentially discarded, Roland's plan became unworkable. The network would ONLY work if other teams were forced to play financially fair, but they aren't. My personal fear is that given his original plan is no longer workable he will either stop sending any players at all, stop spending any money beyond the literal essentials, or indeed resort to selling off (non-playing) assets and lose interest.

The meeting is very important but we CANNOT get it into our heads that Roland will see the fans are unhappy and A) buy/loan better players or b) sell to a new owner. He might very well just stop putting any money in and flog it to Slater-style chancers in an effort to make what little he can back - leaving us worse off than before.

I am not sure he gives a flying one if we are ecstatic or ready to lynch him. He's a remote figure, ready to deal through a string of people who probably just tell him what he wants to hear and do what he wants them to do. Given he is unlikely to spend a fraction of the time worrying about Charlton as we do, I wonder how much he even knows about the extent of the shambles. Luzon could easily be blaming the current mess on his predecessors, for example.
    The evidence is of course that whatever we try looks very, very unlikely to make a difference - Liege fans caused what is pretty much an actual riot to try and sway him and Riga has ended up back in charge (Jose's a lot less popular there than here I think it's fair to say.) Point I am making being is that Roland going/selling IS NOT THE SOLUTION - not entirely. We have to wonder what's next. Slater and Co. looked decent owners until they managed to piss off the money man and put the club in the worst position financially it's been in since the exiled years. Murray had many years of masterful running of the club but the decline to league one was entirely under his leadership too. The problem doesn't begin with Roland, nor will it end with him unless we get a very lucky break indeed.
  • I do not think RD cares what we think, how much he cares about Charlton is proved by how often he comes to one of our games. It's no good saying he gets a live video of the game, everyone knows, you do not get a complete picture unless you are there. I want to see some action taken, just to prove we care, even if he does not
  • edited February 2015
    The ACV status on the ground will give us forewarning of any intention to sell, but the status on it's own wouldn't block any potential sale - that take a concerted effort.
  • Revellinit, your name does not seem to describe your mood.