Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Duchatelet & our ground

There has been much discussion by cleverer and more informed people than I over Duchatelet's intentions, plan, vision - call it what you will - and yet it seems that none of us can yet work it out. There have been one or two recent comments suggesting that Dr Evil may actually want us relegated as part of some grand plan to cash in on the real estate value of the ground. I find this really hard to believe and don't understand how that could possibly even work - but is it remotely possible, especially in light of all the ACV business, that our ground might be at risk? Or are the real estate references that have been posted - like me - just plain daft?

Comments

• I think it's all just guess work because we are not privy to what the master plan is, I'm not even sure Roland knows what the plan is, I hope he's all right health wise as he seems to be losing his marbles?
  • Have my doubts that he would be able to achieve this ...to be honest, I'm not convinced he even wants to.

However I am not 'in the know' either way.
  • Well my experience in life is that the unbelievable often happens. What I do fear is that the real estate value of the ground is is fall back position to regain his investment if his vanity project fails. Can he sell the ground for redevelopment? I have no idea but he has enough money to employ all the fancy lawyers needed to fight the case. We should also note that the area is in need of decent affordable housing and that will be quite a juicy carrot for Greenwich council.

Not saying it will happen but as said it isn't impossible
  • I think it's all just guess work because we are not privy to what the master plan is, I'm not even sure Roland knows what the plan is, I hope he's all right health wise as he seems to be losing his marbles?

I am sure Roland DOES know what the plan is - whatever it is.
  • If he wants us relegated, it would have been last season, when he could have paid less for the club.
  • I am fairly sure he has not bought us for the asset value of the ground. He's wealthy and the gain would be small. That said, I am not sure he particularly cares what happens if Plan A - cheap success - fails. He has enough other clubs to play with so the nightmare scenario is that he just neglects the club and lets us sink (as opposed to appointing clowns and letting us sink). he is a millionaire with an ego - always a dangerous combination.
  • The ground's unlikely to be worth the price he paid for the club and even if it was the loans held over the club by former directors make it not viable to wind it up and develop - even if he couid get planning consent. He'd have to sell the club to someone else to play somewhere else to keep it in business (retain any of its value) and that would all require the ex-directors' consent (or for them to be repaid). It doesn't stack up for me - but then neither does what he is doing!

So, in that case, possibly the best thing in the shortish term is for us to drop as low as poss - maybe even L2, we become a non-entity financially, he sells because he gets bored and then we re-build from the bottom.?
  • vffvff
    edited February 2015

If he wants us relegated, it would have been last season, when he could have paid less for the club.

Duchatelet's player business and recruitment last season was a pretty good attempt. Riga managed to keep Charlton up against the odds with a majority of non network players. And everyone was surprised that he did not get the job. Most of those players, Duchatelet has got rid of with mostly far worse and much less committed players. Duchatelet will manage relegation this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• I read recently about the EU looking into a scheme whereby multinational companies in Belgium were able to get potentially unfair tax advantages in Belgium through the use of non Belgian foreign subsidiaries - I do wonder if this might be one reason why RD has his network - and perhaps the EU investigation is why he might be withholding investment to its members. Are their any tax experts out there who might know if there is some substance to my thinking??
  • The planning Inspectorate could also be used to enquire the 'change of use'........
    And a second possibility could also be an 'article 4 directive' , issued by the secretary of state.
    along with what the Airman has already stated it would be an unlikely business plan, but then we are dealing with someone who probably has the energy and finances to do this. By the way the Valley has the ACV, and the Supporters Trust are the nominated body.
  • Might be wrong but I thought the Valley area was designated for recreational use only and therefore could not be built on. Was this not the reason it remained empty during our 7 year exile?
  • If he wants us relegated, it would have been last season, when he could have paid less for the club.

Maybe his plan failed last season.

• SID said:

If he wants us relegated, it would have been last season, when he could have paid less for the club.

Maybe his plan failed last season.

Perhaps Jose was a better manager than he thought, which is why he did not want to keep him on and be successful this season
  • Fifteen or more years after Greenwich Peninsula launch, development is still not finished. Unlikely to get planning with access issues and also protests.
  • In short - once FFP was essentially discarded, Roland's plan became unworkable. The network would ONLY work if other teams were forced to play financially fair, but they aren't. My personal fear is that given his original plan is no longer workable he will either stop sending any players at all, stop spending any money beyond the literal essentials, or indeed resort to selling off (non-playing) assets and lose interest.

The meeting is very important but we CANNOT get it into our heads that Roland will see the fans are unhappy and A) buy/loan better players or b) sell to a new owner. He might very well just stop putting any money in and flog it to Slater-style chancers in an effort to make what little he can back - leaving us worse off than before.
  • Agreed. It would appear that his business model was largely (wholly?) reliant on others playing along with a 'code' (Financial Fair Play) - an entity that was not enforced (and one thinks of the banking sector, housing, insurance, etc etc....)
    Anyway, the bottom line is what happens to CAFC and its supporters. The team is weak and its divisional status precarious...the latter - the lifeblood of the former - is dejected.
    Next week's meeting is unlikely to be harmonious, but I sincerely hope that we can engineer some outcomes that pave the way for something better than what we have...
  • Why would he have paid to replace the seats etc. If he was planning to knock the thing down to build Duchatelet Towers (a landmark residential development in the heart of East East Greenwich)?
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm currently judging beers at the "Beer Oscars" in Burton and in the pool of 36 judges there are 3 Belgians. RD is well known to them as a "maverick who is a bit crazy". They say everything is a kind of game to him and would be quite happy to drop 100 million euros on a game that was interesting enough. They say we may never understand his motivation as Belgians have been trying to do this for his other "projects" over the years ( for example his political aspirations a number of years ago). I know this doesn't help much but as a real maverick he may easily get it all wrong ( as he seems to be now) and as a result I am massively pessimistic about our future.

• Stig's analysis is masterly.

The problem for RD's vision is that thanks to the watering-down of FFP and now the new Prem deal the basic rules have changed. RD is no more an egoist than any self-made half-billionaire is entitled to be, but he is reluctant to adjust his Plan because he is concerned that his theories are still consistently applied throughout the Network. Internal discipline must be maintained across the board - that is why JR's amazing achievement was rewarded by his dismissal for past disloyalty, and why Miss Moneypenny tells us that we "need to accept" the Owner's wishes.

It is only just over a year since the Network doubled in number with the arrival of CZ Jena, Alcorcon and CAFC (and no-one else wanted to buy us, remember), but in the turbulent world of Big Football things move fast. However, football clubs cannot be run like McDonalds' franchises, exclusively out of an operating manual. The wider world holds sway, and the Owner needs to address the evidence which is now mounting daily before his eyes. It's Reality-Check O'Clock, and the tide is not running in King Canute's favour.

Of course the underlying problem is that the Football League has totally failed to shadow the enviable success of the EPL, leaving the 72-club remnant ill-equipped to handle the gross sporting and financial distortions which have befallen what is arguably the world's #4 league competition. Never mind the closed-shop at the top of the Prem - how likely is it that a Yeovil, a Scunny or a Colchester will ever again be able to maintain a solid, regular place in the Champ? Bournemouth have shown that in order to succeed a talented manager depends not on gate-money but only the Owner's ambition and generosity. What's a £15 million loss if it gains you the Prem ?

As the scriptures say, Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin : The Writing Is On The Wall ....

• My thing on this is who ever or what ever group are owners of the club in the coming years they will look to a new ground as the club and the owners will be able to make more money out of it by the ground being used 7 days a week for other ventures.
  • Has as much vision as David Blunkett.........
  • Normally I would say, don't be daft that will never happen. The problem is that at the moment Roland does appear to be completely daft. His investment in the pitch, the Academy, and the sprucing up of the Stadium seemed to be the right thing to do, but he has followed that by flooding us with a load of Network players with no clear cohesion or plan, and getting rid of a strong manager and dumping his yes men on us. Right this minute all I can see is a rich man who purchased a Club one step from £60 million a season, and is watching that Club slide into oblivion. He appears to be totally stuck in his ways, and not realising that it takes more than one person/decision maker to succeed in today's football World. Sadly, we will have to eat what he serves, but we need to be strong and separate the team from the man, particularly this Saturday. COYR.
  • cafc1263 said:

My thing on this is who ever or what ever group are owners of the club in the coming years they will look to a new ground as the club and the owners will be able to make more money out of it by the ground being used 7 days a week for other ventures.

what other ventures? there a load a few miles away that nobody wants to use in Stratford and like Stratford the people of SE7 and SE10 are not crying out for world class velodromes or media centres, nor a ruby team or athletics track.

maybe RD is set on development and to be fair, looking at other property ventures by various non uk domicile wealthy individuals in SE10 SE13 and other parts of London (utterly disgusting need to get the Tories out) he may well get permission. Boris seems to be in the reach of most asian oligarchs, so why not some Euros. Our only saving grace could be the fact RD is not wealthy enough!

the other problem with people like RD is that you can NEVER tell them they are wrong or question anything they do. KM has alluded to this a few times. We are part of his little circus and no force other than the man himself is ever going to change that.

• Granpa said:

but we need to be strong and separate the team from the man, particularly this Saturday. COYR.

But can the team separate themselves from the man? It would appear not as some just want the wages and don't care how they perform.

• Granpa said:

but we need to be strong and separate the team from the man, particularly this Saturday. COYR.

But can the team separate themselves from the man? It would appear not as some just want the wages and don't care how they perform.

The team are the network. Support the team you support the network. Defeat for the team is a defeat for the network.
  • East East Greenwich)?

@newyorkaddick - I like what you did there... Or perhaps Lower East Side or New Greenwich Village?

• There have been many mentions of the academy plans on here as proof of RD's good intentions.

Are we anywhere near close to seeing any ground actually being broken for this project, or is it more PR bullshit?