Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Did we contribute to Norwich's 2nd goal?

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
I was embarrassed last night at the first half booing of the players and one moment in particular I feel contributed to Grabban's goal.

40 mins into the 1st half, TBH had possession near the East Stand touchline, he had no outlet ball and eventually passed back to the keeper. The boos rang out loudly and then 2 minutes later a possible back pass wasn't taken, the ball was hoofed forward, cock ups ensued and Grabban scored and I can't help feeling the previous booing contributed to it. The pressure for the players being to get the ball forward.

Early in the season, under BP, we knocked the ball around the back four with no questions asked, no booing, if the right ball wasn't on we continued to work the ball around the back four and YB . Of course we were winning games then but we enjoyed the laissez faire attitude and at times the risk that came with it but now I feel our dislike of RD and those around him has become a hinderance to the team.

I'm not a boo-er so you can correct me if I am wrong but I don't feel the boos are directed at the players. It's directed at RD but it's not him who is being affected by this. The 'sacked in the morning' chants were equally mystifying...are we really not giving this guy a chance at all? I don't think so. Again, I see this as an anti RD statement that again is wide of the mark.

You/ we all have the right to boo and complain but it needs to be done in the right place, at the right time.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Agreed... Its clear that booing and heckling from the stands damages confidence rather than improves a situation (Have actually never known it improve a players performance to be honest)

I said it pre-match that Norwich only had to frustrate us the fans and that they'd take three points, passing it around their Defence and extremely tight marking ensuring that our players couldnt get the ball ensured all that
  • But after the booing we scored twice so that "proves" "we" contributed to both goals.

Nothing to do with the boos. Messed up a free kick and Bikey got caught playing Gabbon onside. 2 - 0.

Actually didnt hear a single boo for the rest of the match after the players went in for Half-Time... Reckon Luzon should get that credit for being able to send them out and be in the mindset to get two goals
  • But after the booing we scored twice so that "proves" "we" contributed to both goals.

Nothing to do with the boos. Messed up a free kick and Bikey got caught playing Gabbon onside. 2 - 0.

Actually didnt hear a single boo for the rest of the match after the players went in for Half-Time... Reckon Luzon should get that credit for being able to send them out and be in the mindset to get two goals
    No, it was our booing. Must have been, no other possible explanation.
  • Blame RD. Had there been a target man up front their CB wouldn't have won the header from Dmitrovic's kick so easily.
  • it was actually Jackson's fault. we had a free kick on half way and TBH was going to play it forward. However, Jackson who was inside left to him but behind him wanted the ball. the ball went back to Jackson who then proceeded to balls up and we conceded. was surprised at Jacko for that but he's well past his best imo and shouldn't be in the team.
  • shamkat said:

I was embarrassed last night at the first half booing of the players and one moment in particular I feel contributed to Grabban's goal.

40 mins into the 1st half, TBH had possession near the East Stand touchline, he had no outlet ball and eventually passed back to the keeper. The boos rang out loudly and then 2 minutes later a possible back pass wasn't taken, the ball was hoofed forward, cock ups ensued and Grabban scored and I can't help feeling the previous booing contributed to it. The pressure for the players being to get the ball forward.

Early in the season, under BP, we knocked the ball around the back four with no questions asked, no booing, if the right ball wasn't on we continued to work the ball around the back four and YB . Of course we were winning games then but we enjoyed the laissez faire attitude and at times the risk that came with it but now I feel our dislike of RD and those around him has become a hinderance to the team.

I'm not a boo-er so you can correct me if I am wrong but I don't feel the boos are directed at the players. It's directed at RD but it's not him who is being affected by this. The 'sacked in the morning' chants were equally mystifying...are we really not giving this guy a chance at all? I don't think so. Again, I see this as an anti RD statement that again is wide of the mark.

You/ we all have the right to boo and complain but it needs to be done in the right place, at the right time.

Come on now. I'm not a boo boy either but Jesus Christ, are we blaming Dave in Row G for the omnishambles on the pitch now?? Early in the season we worked the ball around the back until teams picked up on our tactic and started pressuring our players. Buyens went from looking like a smooth operator to a human tractor, Bikey had some kind of five stage emotional breakdown,TBH started getting caught out of position and we never thought up a Plan B. The people to blame for Norwich's goal are the people on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• I didn't boo so I didn't contribute or are you using the Royal We?

• I said it pre-match that Norwich only had to frustrate us the fans and that they'd take three points,

I don't think it was the Norwich team that frustrates us...............
  • edited February 2015
    Booing played a part, but illustrated that many of our players have no balls more than anything else. Basically, it did but it shouldn't have. Experienced professional footballers should not hide on a football pitch.
  • LA, I didn't boo either, so yes.

GM, The boos affect the players, I've had ex players tell me that they do. They're human, they don't like hearing it and try to do whatever to stop it and sadly for them at the moment there is so little clue and movement in front of them that it leads to random balls being pumped up field and as Scoham said, with nothing up front there's pretty much only one outcome...the ball comes back quickly and more pressure is applied.

I'm not suggesting that Dave in Row G is the cause of all our woes but I can't see anything but negatives for the guys on the pitch, oh and I doubt RD is listening either.
  • Agreed... Its clear that booing and heckling from the stands damages confidence rather than improves a situation (Have actually never known it improve a players performance to be honest)

I said it pre-match that Norwich only had to frustrate us the fans and that they'd take three points, passing it around their Defence and extremely tight marking ensuring that our players couldnt get the ball ensured all that

But FA, it's very hard to bottle up the anger and the frustration. There was a guy as I walked down at HT from the west lower into the concourse who was absolutely livid. He was aiming his anger at the Directors area of seating, so at least it was channeled in the right direction. Yet with the players, even some of our more measured and sagacious fans like at @ValleyGary saw the lack of effort there last night.

It's not ideal boo-ing the players, but it's so hard not to boo. I also think the majority of it is taking place when a loose ball is played, but is aimed at the situation as a whole.
  • shamkat said:

Come on now. I'm not a boo boy either but Jesus Christ, are we blaming Dave in Row G for the omnishambles on the pitch now?? Early in the season we worked the ball around the back until teams picked up on our tactic and started pressuring our players. Buyens went from looking like a smooth operator to a human tractor, Bikey had some kind of five stage emotional breakdown,TBH started getting caught out of position and we never thought up a Plan B. The people to blame for Norwich's goal are the people on the pitch.
    I agree

They are footballers, they get paid 10k pw, Tbh booing shouldn't affect them but spur them on to sort it out,

I was booing at the start, and singing when we got back into the game, Simply because you need to let those people know what's acceptable and what isn't that first half WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE
  • Why does someone always blame the fans?
  • Why does someone always blame the fans?

Boooooooooooo.
  • Brilliant a balls up from a number of pro footballers is caused by some fans getting bored of tbh and bikey going backwards just for a long punt up field to lead to loss of possession
  • If the players don't like the booing, take it up with the manager/head coach.
  • Sponsored links:

• shamkat said:

LA, I didn't boo either, so yes.

GM, The boos affect the players, I've had ex players tell me that they do. They're human, they don't like hearing it and try to do whatever to stop it and sadly for them at the moment there is so little clue and movement in front of them that it leads to random balls being pumped up field and as Scoham said, with nothing up front there's pretty much only one outcome...the ball comes back quickly and more pressure is applied.

I'm not suggesting that Dave in Row G is the cause of all our woes but I can't see anything but negatives for the guys on the pitch, oh and I doubt RD is listening either.

But why are you so sure it's the fans fault that a professional footballer made the wrong decision? Was it really a boo that stopped the simple backpass being played or was it the fact that our team is a total shambles and we make the wrong decisions all over the pitch. The atmosphere doesn't help but the team being set up wrong doesn't mean that the players are absolved of blame because the fans spot it. If they want the boos to stop they'll have to, to a man, start looking like they give a toss, rather than the usual players busting a gut around a bunch of cowards
  • Slightly off topic but what I couldn't understand was the same fans chanting 'We want Roland out' were the same ones singing Igor and Tony Watt songs after both scored. Yet Roland was that very man who brought in both players.
  • I will agree with the piss poor effort and attitude of some but then boo the ones who aren't trying (the same way Francis got hounded years ago). That's not what was happening though and most of the players with little confidence will only shrink further with general booing.

It was obvious from the start last night that we were some way 2nd best to Norwich. Our players were onto a hiding to nothing and probably did as well as they could.

It's not their fault they aren't good enough.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Jacko also stepped in and went over Luzon's head to ditch the long ball and get the team to pass it instead as seemed the case in the 2nd half?
  • Our dead ball plays, especially in the first half, were clueless. A free kick near the half way line should be a rehearsed situation, whereas the players had no idea what to do, went backwards and ended up conceding. That doesn't suggest very effective coaching
  • Until the Rotherham game i'd never booed or openly slagged any player or manager off when i've been at a game. As i've seen over a 1000 games that nothing short of a miracle.

what broke the camels back ?

Every since we played 1 striker at home, i have complained on CL about this. Over the last few games have asked random people in Bartrams and the concourse and in seats around me and the general concenus was they wanted to see Igor and Tony Watt be given a chance together.

So gentle reminder first half for Guy Luzon, but full blast with two fingers as he came our for 2nd half. It very Cathartic when the person is just a few yards away and looks you in the eye.
    If i wasn't 100% certain that playing Tony and Igor as partners i would never of done it.

So i'm behind all 5 goal last night as couldn't help booing when we take our free kick backwards.

Only good defending kept out watt's cross for Igor to put cafc 3-2 up.

99.9 % of the time i was cheering and encouraging the team against Norwich even thou the first half was like a training session
    for the canaries.

PS. There was no swearing in my rant at Guy as this can undermind the point i was trying to get across in the 10 seconds.

Try it sometime it much better than being a keyboard warrior.
  • how can a adult justify making a sound so stupid, I would be embarrassed to make such a noise, on the other hand I spent the first half calling them a useless bunch of c**ts, not very nice I agree but I felt better for it.
  • Players play it safe and pass back to keeper = booing

Players play it forward and give the ball away = booing

Players can't win