Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Church v Vetokele

Comments

• So it's the managers fault for sending a message to igor of step up, you've been poor lately by instead of slagging him off in the press or public he drops him Now that's the wrong thing to do

Instead we should just continue cuddling igor and his ego by saying everything is fine

This place gets weirder and weirder every day

• In terms of squad numbers, we are fine

Lol, really?
    Yes definitely, got 25 players that have all started a championship match, thats a fairly big squad, its the quality thats the issue, and the fact that we have barely seen Bulot or Moussa.
  • Our form has been so poor I agreed with the decision to drop igor and put church and watt in. I'm no church fan but igor has been off form, watt deserved a shot and church does have a work rate that does help strikers. I'd continue with them for a few games personally unless igor finds his feet in the mean time. Doesn't mean there is a fallout between player and manager. Just means a manager has dropped a player based on form. I'm no luzon fan either but I agree with dropping players not on form.

Will be interesting to have moussa and bulot back as attacking options plus this supposed loan striker we are after coming in.
  • But surely, the thought of a Church being selected as our striker should make even the most die-hard, stubborn Charlton fans worry..... He cannot and does not score goals. His piss poor record proves that......31 goals in 8 years as a striker?? Yeah Igor hasn't been on form lately, I accept that, but our problem is scoring goals, and when you find yourselves depending on Church, that's not going to change. I just do not understand how fans of Charlton can still support his selection when we've (me included) have been far more critical of other players who have played and scored more than church?

• Igor has been absolutely garbage last few games. The fact that Church was considered a better option confirms two things:

1) Igor is not the world-beater many of us thought at the beginning of the season.
    2) Our squad is woefully short of what's required. I think everyone can see that bar the bellend from Belgium.
  • Never thought Igor was a world beater and our strikers are woefully short of what is required.
  • Church has to start when Igor or Tony are injured. His running gives defenders a lot more to think about and allows his partner to make the most of space his runs create.

I didn't see the game today but would you say Church is better than Lepoint? Or just more useful in the situation?
  • Lepoint just isn't a striker. Playing him is just a throwback to the bad days of playing people out of position. Churchy has his limitations but he has to be a better bet up alongside TW than a midfielder.
  • Davo55 said:

Lepoint just isn't a striker. Playing him is just a throwback to the bad days of playing people out of position. Churchy has his limitations but he has to be a better bet up alongside TW than a midfielder.

S'pose it could have been to try and nullify Cardiff in Midfielder with a 4-5-1 formation... Reckon though Luzon will realise the formation didnt work hence us going 1-0 today so will put Church in as backup Striker ahead of Lepoint going forward
  • Sponsored links:

• did Lepoint play up front or was it is more of a 5 man midfield or playing behind TW.
  • Davo55 said:

Lepoint just isn't a striker. Playing him is just a throwback to the bad days of playing people out of position. Churchy has his limitations but he has to be a better bet up alongside TW than a midfielder.

S'pose it could have been to try and nullify Cardiff in Midfielder with a 4-5-1 formation... Reckon though Luzon will realise the formation didnt work hence us going 1-0 today so will put Church in as backup Striker ahead of Lepoint going forward
    redman said:

did Lepoint play up front or was it is more of a 5 man midfield or playing behind TW.

Only going from the match thread, sounded like he played up front in a 442. Might be wrong though.......
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

redman said:

did Lepoint play up front or was it is more of a 5 man midfield or playing behind TW.

Only going from the match thread, sounded like he played up front in a 442. Might be wrong though.......
    Yeah sorry thats what I reckon but at the same time in a defensive aspect I guess he could have also dropped back where needed (especially if he was fouling quite a bit)
  • Great performance from Church today, is Igor being rested?

Seemed odd to play Lepoint up front.
  • Lepoint was up front much of the time, put himself about a bit, but ineffective
  • Le point is one of Rolys special choices, he has to play, it's in the emails....
  • Church won't be here next season, better off developing someone like Ahearn-Grant.
  • Now would be a very good time to reintroduce Ahearn-Grant, he looked good in his cameo against Fulham and we are now playing a fair bit better, the confidence and exuberance of Tony Watt would work wonders on KAG. Church is a much better option than Lepoint thought, at his speed up top he needs to be an absolute wonder with the ball at his feet and protecting it, that, he is not.
  • I can't believe some people actually buy into the idea that RD has some influence over the match day squad
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't believe some people actually buy into the idea that RD has some influence over the match day squad

Of course he does! He owns us, he calls the shots. Like owning any other business, if you bought an asset for the business you may want to show off that asset.

key word being influence, he has the capacity to do it. And he has done it in the past, so the idea isn't too far fetched at all.

In short, football owners are bonkers.
  • Le Point did play up front as part of a 442. He was horrendous and offered nothing. I suspect it was a case of RD poking his beak in.
  • Lepoint and Dmitrovic (whether he is any good or not) constantly being in the 18 suggest that they are both required to be in the squad. Much like last year when YTU was always on the bench, apart from when he refused to travel . Anyway, we're doing brilliantly so I'll stomach it
  • Maybe there are things in training we don't see? The Standard fans on here all said we'd got a good buy in lepointe, so maybe there's stuff we don't know about. is it an unknown phenomenon? Player fails to recreate training standards on matchday shocker! I was unhappy woth stuff at this club on a number of levels a month or two back, but now we're on a roll, I'm happy to let the manager try a few things, especially if like yesterday, he see's thay don't work and changes them. It does'nt necessarily mean RD is phoning up every hour saying 'move Lepointe up front'.
  • Maybe there are things in training we don't see? The Standard fans on here all said we'd got a good buy in lepointe, so maybe there's stuff we don't know about. is it an unknown phenomenon? Player fails to recreate training standards on matchday shocker! I was unhappy woth stuff at this club on a number of levels a month or two back, but now we're on a roll, I'm happy to let the manager try a few things, especially if like yesterday, he see's thay don't work and changes them. It does'nt necessarily mean RD is phoning up every hour saying 'move Lepointe up front'.

Spot on.

• To me, he looks immobile, with a poor touch. I hope I'm wrong !
  • Lepoint looks more useful coming on as a battering ram style scrapper to try and stop the oppo building up too much pressure. He (inadvertently, but still!) set up our first home goal for ages the first time he came on, then against Forest he had one decent run and a good cross before Watt tied things up in the corner. I can see why Luzon experimented with him as the big lump up front - we are still lacking one of those, it makes more sense than resorting to Bikey as we were forced to do not so long ago.

It didn't work but Luzon can now go to RD and point out that we CAN'T make do with midfielders out of position, we still want/need a target man and hopefully get some business done over summer.
  • Don't think Lepoint fully match fit. Looked a bit of a big cart horse yesterday. Ivor being rested. Church looked effective - playing in Wales may have added a bit to his tank.