Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Church v Vetokele

....the fact that Church still gets in the team, ahead of Igor, who, even with one leg would still be more of a threat that Church tells me this team is going nowhere but down! I'm just sitting here deciding if I actually give a shit or not really?

Comments

• No real need to dig out Church today, imo his inclusion made sense.
  • I guess Mike was there and braydex wasn't
  • I like church he might not be our alan shearer but at least he tries his heart out
  • Right choice for this game.
  • Church and Watt to start is the only Luzon idea I've agreed with.
    Watt in the hope that he offers and Church because the least he does is try for all 90-mins...
  • The problem is Igor and Tony are the exactly type of player, an old school centre forward. At least Church was trying to be the holding forward that we need to feed the striker. Sadly Churchy isn't good enough for that role, but I can't fault his effort. He does try at least.

It would help if the midfield actually provided a bit more.
  • dancafc said:

I like church he might not be our alan shearer but at least he tries his heart out

If I were picked I'd try my heart out and probably kill myself doing so - but I'm afraid its about skill and goals scored.
  • sm said:

dancafc said:

I like church he might not be our alan shearer but at least he tries his heart out

If I were picked I'd try my heart out and probably kill myself doing so - but I'm afraid its about skill and goals scored.
    a lot of players, particularly strikers, don't try though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Im glad Church and Watt started and hope its not a one off as Igor as been poor for a while and these two deserve a run in the team.Have never understood the stick Church gets,yes he is no world beater but then never are most in our team and they get no where near as much stick as Church does.
  • Vetokele has been about as much of a goal threat as Church recently, and from what I have seen runs around a lot less and miscontrols it a lot more, so actually I agree with benching Igor for a couple of games
  • sm said:

dancafc said:

And something we have not been doing is scoring many goals and we've been lacking skill.

When was the last time a striker scored?
  • sm said:

dancafc said:

And something we have not been doing is scoring many goals and we've been lacking skill.

When was the last time a striker scored?
    Igor at Reading?
  • What does it say to the other players if you keep playing Igor when he's playing so poorly?

Church's inclusion today actually seemed like a breath of fresh air.
  • How the hell can you say church deserved his place today? What has he done to deserve it? Scored a few goals lately, like a striker? No. Set a few up? No. Sorry, the guy has had enough chances......43 I think, and scored 3. Tell me again how he deserves to start?.....oh yes, cause he's a 'tryer'. Everyone loves a 'tryer'. I'd rather someone who knows where the back of the net over a 'tryer' personally.

And I wasn't really slagging church off. Only those who still believe everything is rosy Down at the valley can't see he's naturally crap.....I was actually being critical of GL for picking him. This the very man chosen to lead us to......not actually sure where..? But you can jiggle the squad around as much as you like....I don't think anyone expected anything but a loss today, and no amount of swapping around will mask that.

Did anyone really look at those changes to the team that struggled against Rotherham last week and think......that's it. Luzon's nailed it. No.

We have 3 strikers......one who has netted a few times this season. One who is new but looks like he may be ok, and one who has consistently under performed...you're manager, and 3 points is now long overdue and in desperate need. Who would you pick?
  • "At least he tries" - is that a compliment now? I would expect 100% from anyone who steps on the pitch as a professional footballer. Shouldn't be in the "plus points" column for ranking a player like Church. It purely demonstrates that he has next to no ability as a striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• sm said:

dancafc said:

Why do people say stuff like this? If you were picked you'd 'try', you'd be blowing after five minutes and, hilariously, you'd be accused of being lazy. The workrate Church puts in isn't something just anyone can do. He's got a shot like treacle and he's not that strong but he's a workhorse, putting himself about in a way that stretches play and unsettles defenders, and that's a genuine footballing ability. And with that he offers more than Igor has recently
    When was the last time he unsettled a defence? When was the last time he truly stretched play?
  • When was the last time Igor truly unsettled a defence? When was the last time Igor looked a threat?

You cannot criticise Church when Igor has offered even less than him recently.
  • When was the last time Igor truly unsettled a defence? When was the last time Igor looked a threat?

You cannot criticise Church when Igor has offered even less than him recently.

Well I can. And I have.

Where have I said that Igor has been firing on all cylinders by any means?

Even if Igor hasn't been very good, at least he wins the odd header.
  • cafctom said:

sm said:

dancafc said:

Why do people say stuff like this? If you were picked you'd 'try', you'd be blowing after five minutes and, hilariously, you'd be accused of being lazy. The workrate Church puts in isn't something just anyone can do. He's got a shot like treacle and he's not that strong but he's a workhorse, putting himself about in a way that stretches play and unsettles defenders, and that's a genuine footballing ability. And with that he offers more than Igor has recently
    When was the last time he unsettled a defence? When was the last time he truly stretched play?
    I would say probably his assist against Brighton. That was five games ago for Church, few, if any, of which were from the start. More than Igor's done recently.
  • Both as piss poor as each other.
  • Lurker said:

Oh good, let's moan about Church, he did play today after all, and we haven't won in 13.

All this 'giving 100% is the least I expect' bollocks.

Well go and start a thread talking about the fact that the majority of our players appear to give a whole lot less than 100%.

If the rest of the team had his attitude we wouldn't be in half the mess we're in.

If the rest had his ability we would be worse off than Blackpool.
  • agree with both sides of the argument.

Does Church deserve to start? No, he is not good enough.
    Does Igor deserve to start? No, he isn't playing well enough

In terms of squad numbers, we are fine.

But Bulot and Moussa have barely played and thats the problem. We do not have any depth in attacking midfield without these two. Not saying they are the answer, but gives us more options. We need a loanee to cover them.

We need Henderson back and hopefully our defence will improve.

We then need another striker and we will stay up.

• In terms of squad numbers, we are fine

Lol, really?
  • It would end 0-0