Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luzon to take positive approach at Boro

2»

Comments

• alangee said:

Luzon was asked if Igor was 100% fit, all he had to say was "yes". However he went on to say that he does not attack players through the press, implying that there may be a problem.

I assumed all Luzon meant was that he was not going to talk about the dressing room to the press. Fitness, injury updates - those are up for discussion. Personal relationships/fallings out - not going to be debated.

Seems pretty sensible to be honest - Bob's (apparent?) falling out with players was going around for a month or so before he was fired, and a large part of that was because he was calling out players young and old in the press, which can't have gone down well.
  • edited February 2015
    If Igor is fit and is just playing badly then he needs a kick up his arse. If he isn't 100% fit then Luzon has to say that he is because we don't have many options when it comes to strikers. He can't say 'no he isn't 100% fit but I'm playing him anyway because we screwed up with letting George go before we had a replacement and I've got nobody else to stick in there'.
  • MrLargo said:

Luzon was pressed whether leading scorer Igor Vetokele was fully fit after the striker was hauled off during last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Rotherham.

“Igor Vetokele is 100 percent fit,” he replied.

“With players if I have something to tell them I tell them, not through the media.”

That's encouraging, sounds like he's already fallen out with our star striker.

Weird that people have interpreted this as Luzon falling out with Igor. My first reading was that he's telling the media that Igor is fit, but that he won't be drawn into any public slanging. i.e. he's fit and that's the end of the conversation; if there was an issue I wouldn't be telling you, I'd be telling him. Reading it like that it seems he's trying to say he keeps things in house. At most it could be seen as a dig at Bob for hanging players out to dry every week.
    Exactly, he's simply established that Iggy doesn't have an injury/fitness concerns, it was a tactical change pure and simple. And that is it! I am seriously baffled as to how anyone gets 'falling out' from those two sentences.
  • Well said, Dazzler.

More or less how I read the article too.

If Luzon has common sense, he'll first discuss with his coaching staff and listen to his players - everyone will soon tell him where the problems are. He already seems to have cottoned on that in the Championship, you need Championship quality/experienced players.

• When I read the thread title I though Luzon planned to resign at half time at Boro.

I was wrong, so Guy Luzon you have to win, no other result is acceptable.

Or if it is acceptable to you, then after Middlesboro' you will have seventeen games left, and you have to win sixteen of them.

As Mr Duchatelet's choice, and as the next Alex Ferguson, and after four games in charge, you will have to deliver the wins you like so much, but haven't delivered in your three games so far.
  • alangee said:

Luzon was asked if Igor was 100% fit, all he had to say was "yes". However he went on to say that he does not attack players through the press, implying that there may be a problem.

2+2=5
    Igor has to pull his self together he has been shit long before Luzon arrived but in true Charlton fashion lets blame Luzon.
    Luzon is not the problem Roland is.
  • seth plum said:

When I read the thread title I though Luzon planned to resign at half time at Boro.

Or if it is acceptable to you, then after Middlesboro' you will have seventeen games left, and you have to win sixteen of them.

As Mr Duchatelet's choice, and as the next Alex Ferguson, and after four games in charge, you will have to deliver the wins you like so much, but haven't delivered in your three games so far.

He's only had 2 games though? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    Guy Luzon is yet to lose a game as head coach of Charlton.

He was without a work permit and therefore not employed by Charlton during the game against Watford. He was not in the dug out, he was not giving live orders and was not working for the club at that point.

You can't seriously apportion him the responsibility of that game.
    - - - - - - - - - -Played, Won, Drawn, Lost, Win%
    Charlton Athletic - 2- - - 0 - - - 2- - - 0 - - 0.00
  • alangee said:

2+2=5
    Igor has to pull his self together he has been shit long before Luzon arrived but in true Charlton fashion lets blame Luzon.
    Luzon is not the problem Roland is.
    Almost certainly, it was Luzon answering questions, not giving a prepared speech. So he would have been asked if Iggy came off due to injury, would he play this week - 'he is 100% fit.' So the follow up could have been 'was it because Igor isn't doing enough/scoring' and Luzon shutting that line down with the statement he won't talk about his own players to the press. There is just no need for the Q&A format when it's reported back.

The context is very important - if Luzon had just announced apropos of nothing 'I do not attack my players' then it would be odd, but being ASKED about players - and refusing to answer, seems pretty logical to me, as I've said before.
  • Before I had even opened the article I said to myself I wish he had taken the same approach for the Rotherham game... it looked like we were playing for a 0-0 from the off so where was the positivity then?
  • At the Rotherham game it felt like we were trying not to concede, then as soon as we scored, we panicked and went too defensive... which caused a mini implosion.

Lucky to sneak a draw? maybe but we were as good as our opponent on the day so draw was fair. (Both teams were dire)
  • seth plum said:

When I read the thread title I though Luzon planned to resign at half time at Boro.

I disagree, he has had three games and I have explained my reasons elsewhere. if you want to check this, look on the OS and see the date he was appointed our manager/head coach and had his first press conference.

• Dazzler21 said:

He was without a work permit and therefore not employed by Charlton during the game against Watford. He was not in the dug out, he was not giving live orders and was not working for the club at that point.

Played 3
    Won 0
    Drawn 2
    Lost 1
    Goals for 1
    goals against 6

• seth plum said:

Dazzler21 said:

Played 3
    Won 0
    Drawn 2
    Lost 1
    Goals for 1
    goals against 6

You keep telling yourself that Seth mate.
  • Difference of opinion obviously, but his appointment was announced on the OS.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I disagree, he has had three games and I have explained my reasons elsewhere. if you want to check this, look on the OS and see the date he was appointed our manager/head coach and had his first press conference.

You're well within your rights to think so. I've seen the reasons for saying so on the other threads but I personally don't agree with them... Summarised by this quote from the post-match article of the Watford game:

'Matthew, who took temporary charge of the side while Head Coach Guy Luzon awaits his work permit'

Matthew was in charge for the Watford game. Luzon wasn't therefore I feel it's unnecessary to criticise him for the resulting loss of the game. Then again, it's nit picking in the grand scheme of things from both sides of the argument . We have a lot of important games coming up. I'm crossing my fingers that Luzon can inspire us to some upsets and some decent results.

P2,
    W0, D2, L0,
    GF1, GA1
  • Sponsored links:

• if we don't win 3 nil tomorrow i fear for Luzon on this site
  • To begin with, he certainly hasn't said that due to a falling out with the striker - ludicrous suggestion.

It's merely a comment to express that Luzon feels that we are not 100% reliant on Igor and that he is happy to take him off should he be having a poor game, and let's be honest there have been a few recently!
  • P2.5,
    W0, D2, L0.5,
    GF1, GA4

Happier? ;-)
  • if we don't win 3 nil tomorrow i fear for Luzon on this site

I want atleast 5 or I will refuse to wear my tartan blanket to the next home game.
  • to be honest if Luzon can just keep the score down and we sneak a goal i would be ok and certainly wouldn't take it out on him if we lost in that manner. If we get hammered by 4 goals then i might be a bit more upset.

I don't like losing at all but Boro are very good this year and we are not full of confidence. if we get a draw excellent, if we win Fantastic. But as long as we don't get spanked all over the park in this fixture thats a bonus.

If we can get the confidence back that we had at the beginning of the season who knows we might sneak something. still early doors to judge Luzon to be honest. He made things a little better against Wolves and we were close against Rotherham although overall performance was not great. He needs more games. Also needs to start Watt and Vetokele.
  • It seems that when we score first we panic, and go defensive, easy, keep score at 0-0 until last minute of injury time after 90 minutes and then score, so simple:-)
  • ross1 said:

It seems that when we score first we panic, and go defensive, easy, keep score at 0-0 until last minute of injury time after 90 minutes and then score, so simple:-)

We panic when we score first, we panic when THEY score first, we panic when no-one scores... Goals are so rare no-one seems to know what to do when one comes along.
  • Played 2 drawn 2.

Stop trying to invent problems.
  • With the booing of his substitution, you'd think Vetokele was having the game of his life against Rotherham
  • I have to agree with those who are criticising the booing of Igor's substitution. He was having a poor game (like most of the team mind you) so subbing him off was a reasonable decision.

The way I see it is, if we can get a draw or even a win against Middlesborough, that is 3 games unbeaten under Luzon. It is obvious our team has quality by how well we did early in the season. We just need the confidence back.

Maybe a result at Middlesborough will be the spark the team needs?