Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So Roly (or even Katy if you are unavailable for comment) What Happened With The Promises?

From last June's Press Conference:

Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet has assured supporters that the club is working hard to build a competitive squad ahead of the 2014/15 Championship season.

New Head Coach Bob Peeters has already added midfielder Yoni Buyens and highly-rated striker Igor Vetokele to the ranks as he begins to construct his side in time for August’s big kick-off.

Although the first of the new faces through The Valley’s doors this summer have links to Peeters and Belgium, Duchâtelet insists that recruitment will not be limited to his home country as they look to find a perfect balance for the squad.

We try to bring the best possible players that are affordable,” said the Belgian, who completed his takeover of the club in January.

Of course, we need to be very competitive because [the Championship] is a very competitive league.

We just want to bring in the right players whether they are from Belgium or the moon! The main thing is that they are very good.”

With the Addicks’ renowned academy playing a significant part in Charlton securing their Championship safety last term, Duchâtelet believes that a mixture of youth and experience will be key in bringing future success to The Valley.

The expectation is that we stay up, that’s the first thing,” explained the Charlton owner.

“But on the other hand, we want to develop the youth players and want to give chances to the academy players.

“We have a fantastic academy and our main goal is to try and make the difference with our own fantastic young players.

“Of course, you need experience to go along with them. The right mix between young players and experienced players is the right solution to bring this club to future success.”

Meanwhile, Duchâtelet pledged that Peeters, who was appointed as the Addicks' new boss in May, is the ideal man to strike that required balance.

“He has two big qualities. Firstly, he detects the quality in young players as he has proven in the past," added the owner.

“Secondly, he is not afraid to put his head on the block to play the youth. Many coaches don’t want to take the risk to play young players because if you play them and it goes wrong, then people blame the coach.

“He has a special mindset to play young players and there’s not many coaches who want to do that.”

We're full of ears because to some you've take money based on false promises.

Comments

• "Give it time, you can't judge immediately, they have admitted errors, let's see where we are in 12 months time"

That's not verbatim but roughly what I said 12 or so months ago and I had faith. I don't regret what I said but I do feel intensely let down this morning. We are no further ahead than last year. We may have some better players in quality - questionable - but there is no depth and little commitment.

I look forward to today's Trust statement and hope for something from the club, but not holding my breath.

• I think that the most interesting aspect is the way in which the words "competitive" and "stay up" are used in the same context. To me they are not one and the same.
  • Aren't we only 1 point off 12th in the league right now? That's fairly competitive if you ask me...
  • sam3110 said:

Aren't we only 1 point off 12th in the league right now? That's fairly competitive if you ask me...

What competition do you win for finishing 12th?
  • sam3110 said:

Aren't we only 1 point off 12th in the league right now? That's fairly competitive if you ask me...

The one where losing means relegation and a whole lot of financial cut backs. 24 teams, only three 'win' promotion - competitive is a relative term.
  • thenewbie said:

sam3110 said:

The one where losing means relegation and a whole lot of financial cut backs. 24 teams, only three 'win' promotion - competitive is a relative term.
    1 point off 12th but who (apart from the delusional) isn't looking over their shoulder instead of above? The other interesting fact about 12. Its 12 games since we last won, that is not competitive. But for our luck in that unbeaten run, we should be a good 9 points worse off, we'd be right up shit creek! But what does my opinion matter? I'm not the owner am I?!?
  • Kap10 said:

"Give it time, you can't judge immediately, they have admitted errors, let's see where we are in 12 months time"

That's not verbatim but roughly what I said 12 or so months ago and I had faith. I don't regret what I said but I do feel intensely let down this morning. We are no further ahead than last year. We may have some better players in quality - questionable - but there is no depth and little commitment.

I look forward to today's Trust statement and hope for something from the club, but not holding my breath.

Give three months and we will be in league 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bring back the Glicksteins.
  • It all started so well in August and September, in five months it has deteriorated quicker than milk left out in the Sun. The decline of the team and what is happening off the pitch has alienated true long serving fans to such a degree,that people are staying away. The atmosphere at the Valley, I am told is toxic. The Coach is not wanted or supported. The players are playing without any confidence and we are heading towards the wastelands of Div1.
    Roland and Katrien wasted a good chance to strengthen the squad in the window. Instead they have further pissed off our supporters by not bringing in the sort of players that are going to help us stay up.

Where do we go from here? Do we produce a siege mentality and get behind the team, ignoring what has gone on? Do we protest against RD and the Network? Or do we just not bother going anymore?

• sam3110 said:

Yes - and a couple of months ago we were third.

And we have THE worst goalscoring record bar Villa out of 92 Clubs in all competitions since AUGUST.

And our current top scorer hasn't scored for 10 games (and is only playing with an injury or lack of form because we haven't got anyone else) and our forward with the second most goals has ONE goal all season.

BUT we have a balanced and competitive squad.

It is completely obvious that we have been "competing" all season "not to get relegated". And when you do that you end up playing not to lose which is why we have had so many draws.

The problem comes when you start to lose instead of drawing and as you have no Plan B you are incapable of turning things around. And draws in our situation may not be enough to stay up.
  • I would not call the atmosphere 'toxic' Dick. More 'resigned' and 'uninterested'. Not good but not quite the same.
  • Be interested to see the mood on here if we turned the season on its head (i.e. Had the 1-1 with Rotherham been the first game in August with results going backwards etc...), we'd have had the poor run early (probably in the relegation places) before slowly moving up the table...

the issue here is that we had such a good start (beating Derby etc...) and being around the PlayOffs that expectation became ridiculous (when Peeters signed we were all told the aim was to avoid relegation), I turned round to my partner in October and said that we needed to keep up the pace because the negativity would go crazy on here if we began to slip away
  • Be interested to see the mood on here if we turned the season on its head (i.e. Had the 1-1 with Rotherham been the first game in August with results going backwards etc...), we'd have had the poor run early (probably in the relegation places) before slowly moving up the table...

the issue here is that we had such a good start (beating Derby etc...) and being around the PlayOffs that expectation became ridiculous (when Peeters signed we were all told the aim was to avoid relegation), I turned round to my partner in October and said that we needed to keep up the pace because the negativity would go crazy on here if we began to slip away

I think the worry is that we are in a rut and need a spark to get us out of it. Some fans were hoping a new player (a striker especially) would be that spark and it hasn't arrived.

Personally I think Luzon isn't a big a mug as people make out, and he will steady the ship, but he does need one or two new faces. Let's hope the free transfers are decent.

Forever I totally respect what you say and I'm sure we all desperately hope that things will change.

But, put simply, who is going to create and who is going to score the goals needed to turn this around?
  • Every season we've been in the Championship since our return we've been around this position come the end of January, every time the fans have been "We're doomed, we're gonna get relegated, black shoes rather than brown go better with jeans"

Trouble is for three years now, the fans have got the "We're going to be relegated" prediction well and truly wrong
  • edited February 2015

Every season we've been in the Championship since our return we've been around this position come the end of January, every time the fans have been "We're doomed, we're gonna get relegated, black shoes rather than brown go better with jeans"

Trouble is for three years now, the fans have got the "We're going to be relegated" prediction well and truly wrong

That would make you a soothsayer, since we've only stayed up twice - once by Powell's ingenuity and once by Riga's. Very brave of you to put the same faith in Luzon, I'd say.

Crucially, the team under the first two had a good spirit and a credible spine, developed from the squad that had won promotion. No much sign of either at present and it's difficult to see how that's the fault of the fans.

Riga also had Poyet, who was a key contributor.
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

It all started so well in August and September, in five months it has deteriorated quicker than milk left out in the Sun. The decline of the team and what is happening off the pitch has alienated true long serving fans to such a degree,that people are staying away. The atmosphere at the Valley, I am told is toxic. The Coach is not wanted or supported. The players are playing without any confidence and we are heading towards the wastelands of Div1.
    Roland and Katrien wasted a good chance to strengthen the squad in the window. Instead they have further pissed off our supporters by not bringing in the sort of players that are going to help us stay up.

Where do we go from here? Do we produce a siege mentality and get behind the team, ignoring what has gone on? Do we protest against RD and the Network? Or do we just not bother going anymore?

Up for a protest against RD but still think we should give Luzon some time so i will continue to back the team, but as for RD he can feck right off now.
  • Even the players were saying new signings would add a spark to the team. Board not listening to playing staff either. GL said he wanted 2 3 players in? Maybe they tried and failed but then their plans b, c, d and e suck. Did they not learn from last time? One target man was what we needed and supposedly we are getting another CB who is not better than what we have. We have lost tucudean and Piggott and not replaced at all. Ok theyre not perfect but at least they were options. Now we have vetokele (well off form) , watt (who looks up for it but they won't start him) church (sorry nothing will convince me he is the answer) and ahearne-grant (looks good but not ready full time yet). Can't the "be patient" people out there not understand why the rest of us are concerned? Really!!!???
  • Whens Katrien at Bromley Addicks?

Please those in attendance don't make the evening easy for her. I'm not saying publicly berate her, but we need the difficult questions asked.

Please those in attendance don't make the evening easy for her. I'm not saying publicly berate her, but we need the difficult questions asked.

No flowers then?

Unfortunately I don't think she knows any more than we do.

Hopefully there will be a 5 year season ticket holders meeting before the 12th March. If she attends along with Mr Murray, then I don't see it being a "Bed of Roses" for them, more like a group of "Stinging Nettles"

They got lucky with the timing of last year's meeting (A few days before the FA Cup quarter final defeat and the sacking of Powell)
    I can't see them being so lucky this year with the questions from the audience.

• Clearly nothing said by RD, Katrien or Sir Alex Losing can be trusted. They are treating us with the same contempt with which they treat each other, (and CP, Riga and BP).

There seems to be little coherent strategic direction in any element of what they do and still less understanding about English football or its followers. Not only do they not know what they're doing, but they are clearly not to be trusted.

Thanks for Riga, the pitch and shiney seats...... Now take a hike Roland and inflict Katrien on someone else.
  • sam3110 said:

Small matter of no win since November 8, hardly any goals this year and morale on and off the pitch at rock bottom after a raft of Belgian rejects (managerial and playing) utterly fail to make the grade. Is that fairly competitive?
  • On March 24th I will celebrate 59 years since my first visit to the Valley. It was our first game at home following Sam Bartram's retirement, and was against the then mighty Wolves, then one of the best teams in Europe. We lost 2-0 and the hapless Frank Reed in goal was all over the place for the first goal, (trickled through his legs, if I remember right.) There were over 27,000 people there, the biggest crowd I've ever known at the Valley. But I have stayed loyal.

On Saturday, I couldn't be bothered, for what is the point? We're not a football club any more, we're just another outreach of a franchising organisation, a sort of BurgerKing, or a newly farmed out chunk of the NHS. No soul, just Arse hole.

I shall carry on going, at least for the time being. I shall pick my games, v Huddersfield, for instance, and hopefully next season welcome a newly promoted Bradford City. Two proper clubs with two proper managers.

But the Season Ticket will not be renewed and I'll just turn up when I feel like it.