Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Damian Matthew and Ben Roberts

Happy to work under Riga, Peeters and now Luzon? If so, how come they don't get labelled as puppets or yes men? Are they happy with the situation at the Club, happy how it's being run, happy to work under these managers?

Of course, that probably isn't true and they are not going to walk away without a job. But how can they work in such circumstances, feel very sorry for them.

Comments

• Not puppets because they're not key decision makers.
  • I don't agree with all my directors decisions or the way he gets our team to work but he pays me well. Guessing it's the same for these guys
  • I don't agree with all my directors decisions or the way he gets our team to work but he pays me well. Guessing it's the same for these guys

Yes and they enjoy being part of a football club and being able to get out on the training ground every day. While it lasts, they've got a great working life and they are right to make the most of it.
  • They probably enjoy the challenge. I hope so.

We wanted championship players that understood this league. For me that means understanding and accepting that it is a fast game that requires 100% commitment and effort.

I can forgive an awful lot in a team, but when we are losing I expect them to be crawling off the pitch.

They both have a lot of work to do. I wish them luck.

Oh, and hurry up!
  • Also they have a good football background and experience unlike Km who is a senior (in theory) decision maker who is totally out of her depth imho.
  • Damian is a yes man and became quite an unpopular figure up at Sparrows during the last few weeks of Powells tenure at the club
  • Damian is a yes man and became quite an unpopular figure up at Sparrows during the last few weeks of Powells tenure at the club

Put yourself in his shoes.

If he had rebelled, he would have been sacked - like Chris Powell.

• Igor refused to shake DM hand on Saturday when taken off , obviously something ain't right there .
  • edited February 2015
    Oggy Red said:

Damian is a yes man and became quite an unpopular figure up at Sparrows during the last few weeks of Powells tenure at the club

100% correct, he would of been and he obviously has himself to think of. His lack of loyalty however, and some would say betrayal of Chris Powell allegedly didn't go down well with the players, coaching staff and general staff at the training ground though.
  • Is DM a good coach??
  • Sponsored links:

Might explain the 5-0 drubbing by Watford.
  • Oggy Red said:

Damian is a yes man and became quite an unpopular figure up at Sparrows during the last few weeks of Powells tenure at the club

100% correct, he would of been and he obviously has himself to think of. His lack of loyalty however, and some would say betrayal of Chris Powell didn't go down well with the players, coaching staff and general staff at the training ground though.
    Throw in that he allegedly stabbed Bob Peeters in the back, allegedly stabbed Gritty in the back, and Gritty left the Academy, I'm not surprised his credibility ain't all that at Sparrows Lane. The way he deflected the Watford performance onto Guy Luzon summed him up for me. Only worried about himself. Been here a while as 1st Team Coach now. Have we improved bar the Div 1 promotion ? No. Players get sick of the same voice, especially one they don't really respect.
  • NWCorner said:

Oggy Red said:

100% correct, he would of been and he obviously has himself to think of. His lack of loyalty however, and some would say betrayal of Chris Powell didn't go down well with the players, coaching staff and general staff at the training ground though.
    Throw in that he allegedly stabbed Bob Peeters in the back, allegedly stabbed Gritty in the back, and Gritty left the Academy, I'm not surprised his credibility ain't all that at Sparrows Lane. The way he deflected the Watford performance onto Guy Luzon summed him up for me. Only worried about himself. Been here a while as 1st Team Coach now. Have we improved bar the Div 1 promotion ? No. Players get sick of the same voice, especially one they don't really respect.
    Wow, that's lifted the lid off things.
  • RedChaser said:

NWCorner said:

Oggy Red said:

Blimey, always thought he was well respected at the club.

Maybe GL will want to bring in his own man (if he's allowed).

• RedChaser said:

NWCorner said:

Oggy Red said:

If there is mileage in this and there's no smoke without fire, the sooner the better.
  • In contrast, Ben Roberts is very popular among the players and a very good goalkeeping coach. Was also very loyal to Powell with my understanding being that Powell asked him not to resign when he himself was sacked and encouraged him to stay with us.
  • what is it with you lot , always looking for a scape goat.
    who is next to be blamed the tea lady
  • I have to say - I don't know DM or BR personally. But....when we played Blackburn in the FA Cup a few weeks ago, we sat in the West Stand (we are usually in the Family stand but it wasn't open). My kids loved it because they were able to stand pitch side, right by the tunnel and say hello to the players etc.

Several staff incl. BR (sorry to say but I wouldn't know what DM looks like tbh) came up to a guy standing next to us and had a chat with him. We then spoke to him and he certainly sounded like he knew what he was talking about and the fact several players and staff new him, gave him a bit of extra cred. Whilst chatting, he mentioned DM and pulled a face. My dad asked him why he did that and he said very bluntly, he's a tosser. No one likes him.

That was that. We didn't really pay much attention to it to be honest, infact I don't recall us mentioning it again. But interesting now this is being mentioned in this thread. Like I say, never met the guy and wouldn't know him if I bumped into him in the high street, so cant say how much truth is attached to it?
  • In contrast, Ben Roberts is very popular among the players and a very good goalkeeping coach. Was also very loyal to Powell with my understanding being that Powell asked him not to resign when he himself was sacked and encouraged him to stay with us.

Six visits since you joint a year ago, how do you know all this ?

• Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

NWCorner said:

Oggy Red said:

Excuse me if I am wrong, but isn't the person who was in charge of SL before Riga GL's assistant at SL, if so, could he be on the way here?

So did Powell ask Matthew to resign?

And what did he advise Alex Dyer to do? Alex is much closer to him and is now again his assistant at Huddersfield yet he stayed and worked under Riga (and Roland).

• braydex Member

3:53PM

I have to say - I don't know DM or BR personally. But....when we played Blackburn in the FA Cup a few weeks ago, we sat in the West Stand (we are usually in the Family stand but it wasn't open). My kids loved it because they were able to stand pitch side, right by the tunnel and say hello to the players etc.

Several staff incl. BR (sorry to say but I wouldn't know what DM looks like tbh) came up to a guy standing next to us and had a chat with him. We then spoke to him and he certainly sounded like he knew what he was talking about and the fact several players and staff new him, gave him a bit of extra cred. Whilst chatting, he mentioned DM and pulled a face. My dad asked him why he did that and he said very bluntly, he's a tosser. No one likes him.

That was that. We didn't really pay much attention to it to be honest, infact I don't recall us mentioning it again. But interesting now this is being mentioned in this thread. Like I say, never met the guy and wouldn't know him if I bumped into him in the high street, so cant say how much truth is attached to it?

and you really expect people to believe that this was said for all around to hear. sometime people do talk for the sake of talking
  • edited February 2015
    Two sides too every story but with two people respect NWC and brunello at a Total difference of opinion where's the middle ground

In have heard great things about DM and Its not the first disconcerting voice I have heard either

Interested to see how this pans out
  • Just out of interest, who do the players like in the management/coaching staff?
  • edited February 2015
    Damian Matthew loves this club and has turned down offers from other clubs because of how feels about Charlton. Chris Powell told all the coaching staff that he wanted them to stay when he was fired because he too loves Charlton and thought that our best interests would be served by having continuity with people like Damian (and others) staying. The upsurge of good players coming through the Academy coincided with the time that Damian was there and they played terrific attacking football. He is one of the only links with the things we all loved about the club pre-RD and if he is driven out by this kind of malicious gossip it will be a very very sad day for CAFC.
  • Well said nadou.
    But some people are not happy with anything
  • Ben Roberts goalkeeping coach, suggest he sticks to that as it ain't been our strongest position this year.
  • it looks like to me the new coach has brought none of his staff just him to get a profile
  • dallas said:

it looks like to me the new coach has brought none of his staff just him to get a profile

But hasn't he already managed in the Champs League?