Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TV Debate

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015

I think he is only running scared of Farage.
    He would happily debate with Nick and Ed.
    And take part in a chaotic watered down massdebate.
    But a foursome with Farage? Therein lies his fear.

It's a question of balance rather than fear, I think.

You've got the Conservatives and UKIP on the right, the Libdems in the middle (is that correct?) and Labour on the left. If they were the only parties in the debates, the potential right-wing vote would have a choice of two and the left-wing vote wouldn't. That's why Miliband wanted the set up as originally proposed - it gave him a big advantage - and why Cameron would have nothing to do with it unless the ultra left-wing Greens were brought into the equation as a balance and, potentially to take some votes away from Labour in the same way that UKIP are doing to the Conservatives.

BTW, I agree with @soapy_jones and @Stig - I think the debates are fairly pointless - for anyone who might take the trouble to find out what the various parties actually, really stand for. It's good that as many people as possible are properly informed but it's extremely doubtful that the TV debates will achieve that. They will just be a slanging match with point-scoring to the fore.

That said, for a considerable number of voters, the TV debates (and they'll probably only be tuning in to see who gets slaughtered*) are the only way that they'll get anywhere near to understanding the issues. Unless anyone has a better idea? (For me the party political broadcasts are a complete turn off and I'd count myself as someone who is interested in politics. That's perhaps because they always seem to focus on slagging off the opposition rather than explaining why they'd be a better choice. I think we can all guess right now what Labour (can't trust Conservatives with the NHS) and Conservative (can't trust Labour with the economy) broadcasts will be banging on about.)

* Going on how he nearly always get trashed at PMQs, my money would be on Miliband being nominated as this year's roadkill.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

You've got the Conservatives and UKIP on the right, the Libdems in the middle (is that correct?) and Labour on the left. If they were the only parties in the debates, the potential right-wing vote would have a choice of two and the left-wing vote wouldn't. That's why Miliband wanted the set up as originally proposed - it gave him a big advantage - and why Cameron would have nothing to do with it unless the ultra left-wing Greens were brought into the equation as a balance and, potentially to take some votes away from Labour in the same way that UKIP are doing to the Conservatives.

BTW, I agree with @soapy_jones and @Stig - I think the debates are fairly pointless - for anyone who might take the trouble to find out what the various parties actually, really stand for. It's good that as many people as possible are properly informed but it's extremely doubtful that the TV debates will achieve that. They will just be a slanging match with point-scoring to the fore.

That said, for a considerable number of voters, the TV debates (and they'll probably only be tuning in to see who gets slaughtered*) are the only way that they'll get anywhere near to understanding the issues. Unless anyone has a better idea? (For me the party political broadcasts are a complete turn off and I'd count myself as someone who is interested in politics. That's perhaps because they always seem to focus on slagging off the opposition rather than explaining why they'd be a better choice. I think we can all guess right now what Labour (can't trust Conservatives with the NHS) and Conservative (can't trust Labour with the economy) broadcasts will be banging on about.)

* Going on how he nearly always get trashed at PMQs, my money would be on Miliband being nominated as this year's roadkill.

But even then, they just lie in their manifestos anyway.

They should be made legally binding.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Thanks for that link - not as bonkers as they make out - I'm already keen on the idea of nectar points on your income tax!
  • Options
    Vote Loony.............you know it makes sense!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Miliband very rarely "gets trashed" at PMQs as even the right wing press acknowledge. This is despite the PM always having the last word. Still say it enough and you will convince yourself!
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

cafcfan said:

Miliband very rarely "gets trashed" at PMQs as even the right wing press acknowledge. This is despite the PM always having the last word. Still say it enough and you will convince yourself!
    Trashed isn't the right word but in the handful of occasions Miliband has walked away from PMQs without losing face, it's almost always referred to in the press as a 'rare' victory.