Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TV Debate

So if there is an empty chair in this ridiculous debate, maybe it would garner considerable backing.

After all, it won't have gone to some despicable posh school. It won't be well educated and thus out of touch with the common man.

It will provide more than enough support for all voters. Especially if they are tired or perhaps retired.

It's new, there's no dirt on it and it would be a breath of fresh air away from the political cabal.

The only problem I can see is with the UKIP voters if the chair is black.

I implore you, vote chair. Got to be better than Cameron and the others.

Comments

• I'd vote for the Empty Chair Party in 2015. A House of Commons no longer filled with public schoolboys who have never had any real world experience? 5 years without any new stupid laws or tax rises? Think it would be the best 5 years this country ever had.
  • edited January 2015
    If you need to watch a televised gimmick to decide who to vote for, they may as well do it on ice! Actually I would quite like to see Farage doing a spin whilst still holding on to his pint.
  • I literally have no idea what this is about
  • They don't use chairs do they?
    Don't the politicians stand at a lectern? You'd have to have an unoccupied lectern but Miliband undertakes that function anyway.

It's more confusing than Broadchurch.

To cut a long story and a lot of hot air short Cameron has said he will not take part in the televised debates if the Greens are not invited because UKIP are there.

It has been suggested that Cameron should not dictate who is invited and that the debates should go ahead with an empty chair (for Cameron) if necessary.
  • So what are you saying braydex ? If you're anti RD, you should be voting UKIP ? :-)
  • edited January 2015
    braydex said:

So if there is an empty chair in this ridiculous debate, maybe it would garner considerable backing.

After all, it won't have gone to some despicable posh school. It won't be well educated and thus out of touch with the common man.

It will provide more than enough support for all voters. Especially if they are tired or perhaps retired.

It's new, there's no dirt on it and it would be a breath of fresh air away from the political cabal.

What an immature, idiotic statement to make. Grow up!

UKIP is about leaving the EU. Controlling, NOT stopping immigration, protecting green belt, recovering the UK fishing industry, the UK brewery industry, stopping the countryside being covered in wind farms.....and more. It has nothing do with the colour of anyone's skin. You may want to stick with only having the '3 big parties' - although the Liberals are hardly 'big', but Im glad there are other parties that represent those the LibLabCon don't. Well done to UKIP, the Greens, SNP, Plaid Cymru for making an impact and giving me, us a choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems a bit pointless to invite every effing party under the sun. Can't they keep it to the parties that actually have a chance of a) gaining a seat in Parliament and b) holding the balance of power? It really is irrelevant giving a platform to fringe parties to outline their fantastical policies which, never in a million years, will ever get implemented.
  • braydex said:

UKIP is about leaving the EU. Controlling, NOT stopping immigration, protecting green belt, recovering the UK fishing industry, the UK brewery industry, stopping the countryside being covered in wind farms.....and more. It has nothing do with the colour of anyone's skin. You may want to stick with only having the '3 big parties' - although the Liberals are hardly 'big', but Im glad there are other parties that represent those the LibLabCon don't. Well done to UKIP, the Greens, SNP, Plaid Cymru for making an impact and giving me, us a choice.
    Braydex it was a joke.

Like you I detest the LibLabCon in its present incarnation and UKIP, whilst by no means perfect, is probably the nearest to stopping me from feeling completely disenfranchised in my own country.

That doesn't stop me having a laugh though.
  • edited January 2015
    TV debates are infantile crap. So crap in fact that most of the numpties who bothered watching them last time, because they don't have two brain cells that rub together to create a spark of original thought or opinion, thought Nick Clegg was the most impressive politician (alright, it was Cameron and Brown I suppose...).

It is a gimmick, just like any other gimmick imported from the US. Why shouldn't every other wack job standing for parliament get the same platform?
  • Saga Lout said:

Seems a bit pointless to invite every effing party under the sun. Can't they keep it to the parties that actually have a chance of a) gaining a seat in Parliament and b) holding the balance of power? It really is irrelevant giving a platform to fringe parties to outline their fantastical policies which, never in a million years, will ever get implemented.

I both agree and disagree with this. Naturally, the fringe parties have to make bolder, more fantastical promises to attract votes, which will dilute the real debate between the Tories and Labour which needs to be properly heard. However, if you exclude the fringe parties from the debate, then we will just end up getting closer to what the USA has, a 2-party system where hardly anything changes.

We are in a transition phase from the previous 2-party system (or what some people have dubbed a 2.5 party system to take into account the Lib Dems) to a multi-party system. Hence we're having debates with all the parties who will feasibly win seats at the G.E., and also have 2 debates between the two parties most likely to form a Government. In England we might think politics is purely a LibLabCon stitch-up but in every other nation this is not the case. It does seem somewhat farcical to include the SNP and PC in what is a national debate, considering neither party has national policies, but if Labour win a minority government they will be holding out a can to either or both the SNP or PC, and it is important that their views on, say, Trident, devolution or health funding is, are debated on a national stage so, come polling day, people are fully informed of the consequences of voting for a party that might go into coalition with a party whose policies they fundamentally disagree with.
  • Len - Are UKIP in favour of PR?
  • The Monster Raving Loony party have been going for years, and front up deposits to fight elections all over the place.
    Why haven't they got a seat/lecturn in the debate?
    Call this democracy? Sheesh!
  • edited January 2015
    I think any party who has candidates running in over 50% of constituencies should be eligible to be involved in a leaders debate, that just seems the most democratic to me.
  • at the rate the varied & various 'parties' are demanding participation in the 'debates', there will be more panellists than viewers.
  • LenGlover said:

Thanks Len.

I don't think it says that they are in favour more that should they get a large percentage of the vote but only a handful of MPs that it would raise the question of how unfair the current system is.

Surprised to see you reading the New Statesman, not on the turn are you? :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

Thanks Len.

I don't think it says that they are in favour more that should they get a large percentage of the vote but only a handful of MPs that it would raise the question of how unfair the current system is.

Surprised to see you reading the New Statesman, not on the turn are you? :smile:
    Direct quote from the article:

....."The party supports the introduction of proportional representation and campaigned in favour of AV in the 2011 referendum.".........

Contrary to what some might think I try and read a wide spectrum of stuff.

:-)
  • edited January 2015
    LenGlover said:

braydex said:

Braydex it was a joke.

Like you I detest the LibLabCon in its present incarnation and UKIP, whilst by no means perfect, is probably the nearest to stopping me from feeling completely disenfranchised in my own country.

That doesn't stop me having a laugh though.
    Thanks Len.
    Suprised Braydex didn't have a pop at me for imploring him to 'vote chair' to be honest!
    Or the 'providing support' thing.....

A possible whooooosh perhaps?

• I just have this feeling that the TV debates will be very boring indeed. The main parties will be trying to look sensible, responsible and assuring us that they have our interests at heart and the others will be looking to find a niche.
  • Of course UKIP are for PR as it's always the party that comes 3rd in PR elections that actually have any political power in order to tip the balance for or against the top two parties. It's why the lib dems have also been for it for so long.

Cameron's trying to fill the debates with as many parties as possible so it descends into a circus. Was never much of a fan of the idea in the first place. Makes the election more about charisma than policies.
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Thanks Len.

Direct quote from the article:

....."The party supports the introduction of proportional representation and campaigned in favour of AV in the 2011 referendum.".........

Contrary to what some might think I try and read a wide spectrum of stuff.

:-)

Cheers Len, my skim reading was obviously was not up to scratch!

You have always struck me as being too erudite to only stick to the Daily Mail for information so not surprised you read widely.

Just a shame you have come to the wrong conclusion in supporting UKIP :wink:

Although I have to say that in your recent posts I detect a moving away from the kippers a tad. Am I right?
  • TV debates are infantile crap. So crap in fact that most of the numpties who bothered watching them last time, because they don't have two brain cells that rub together to create a spark of original thought or opinion, thought Nick Clegg was the most impressive politician (alright, it was Cameron and Brown I suppose...).

It is a gimmick, just like any other gimmick imported from the US. Why shouldn't every other wack job standing for parliament get the same platform?

I'm so glad you said that, Soapy. I was beginning to think I was the only one that doesn't like the idea. I want our politicians to be voted for on policy not personally.
  • Stig said:

TV debates are infantile crap. So crap in fact that most of the numpties who bothered watching them last time, because they don't have two brain cells that rub together to create a spark of original thought or opinion, thought Nick Clegg was the most impressive politician (alright, it was Cameron and Brown I suppose...).

I'm so glad you said that, Soapy. I was beginning to think I was the only one that doesn't like the idea. I want our politicians to be voted for on policy not personally.
    They are. For me the issue this time is that Cameron is running scared which would be alright were it not for the fact that last time around he was so in favour of them. Politician in hypocritical shock!
  • Scared? More infantile rubbish. He's being a politician, get it eveyone? Nothing any of the other twats wouldn't do if it weren't to their advantage to do so.
  • I think he is only running scared of Farage.
    He would happily debate with Nick and Ed.
    And take part in a chaotic watered down massdebate.
    But a foursome with Farage? Therein lies his fear.
  • Not scared but being a politician? Is that alright then?