Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

naby sarr ? another from outside the rd network

124»

Comments

• Being a Charlton fan who's birthday is 31st January, is far from ideal... Every. Bloody. Year.

Being a Charlton fan is far from ideal, full stop.
  • Talal said:

Being a Charlton fan who's birthday is 31st January, is far from ideal... Every. Bloody. Year.

That's quite common for a birthday.
    Unless it's 29th February.
  • Talal said:

Being a Charlton fan who's birthday is 31st January, is far from ideal... Every. Bloody. Year.

As it happens, relatively speaking, no it's not!
    January 31st is ranked 343 out of 366.

September 16th (my daughter's birthday) is top, while February 29th (unsurprisingly) is bottom, followed by December 25th.

http://www.tableau.com/public/gallery/how-common-your-birthday

As an aside, there are some interesting anomalies in the chart. Notice how the 13th of any month is a bit less popular?
    Also, look at the Christmas holiday bit. Apparently, this is because hospitals are less likely to induce on public holidays.

Now, back to Naby Sarr...

:smiley:
  • Talal said:

September 16th (my daughter's birthday) is top,
    Those office Christmas parties have got a lot to answer for!!
  • Check out Cawley with all these exclusives.

Exclusives that we've known about for weeks.

He puts Colin to shame.
  • cafcfan said:

Talal said:

September 16th (my daughter's birthday) is top,
    Those office Christmas parties have got a lot to answer for!!
    You've got that right! :wink:
  • colthe3rd said:

rikofold said:

So here's the thing. We are a Championship team. It's not unreasonable to expect that the owners would look to strengthen or at the very least not weaken the squad over time.

In Powell's last season we had a spine of Hamer, Morrison, Stephens, Kermorgant. Not the tip top, but pretty strong with plenty of Championship experience. Add a few quality players around that spine and we're genuinely competitive.

Except they've all gone and it looks like, if TBH goes, our spine is, er, Dimitrov, Sarr, Cousins, Vetokele.

Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.

I think you need to revise your definition of "plenty of Championship experience".
    Fair point re Hamer and Stephens - perhaps "plenty of experience of the English game"?
  • East_Stand_Loopy Member
    There is one small problem with the "Championship experience" debate.
    We go to one of those, and he says "Yes, I can do a job for you. It'll cost you 5 grand a week."
    Alternatively, we go to someone like Baby Sarr, who says "I've never played in the Championship, but I helped my team win the U20 World Cup. I can do a job for you. It'll cost you 1 grand a week"
    If it was YOUR money, which one would you sign?

The answer is quite simple really, you ask yourself about each player, 'can this man do the job that I require ? '. If the answer about both is yes, and you don't know anything that would stop him from doing so ( homesickness, age etc), you take the cheapest.
  • MrOneLung said:

Vincenzo said:

I'm sure they're working on a number 9. Will be chuffed if it's someone of the calibre of Sarr.

It said in the paper had been playing for their B team in Portugese 2nd division.

Surely that is weaker than the English 2nd tier.

Quite right, OneLung. I thought he was from the Portuguese top flight, having played in the Championnat last year. Turns out he's only played 6 senior games. Not what I thought at all.
  • edited January 2015
    rikofold said:

So here's the thing. We are a Championship team. It's not unreasonable to expect that the owners would look to strengthen or at the very least not weaken the squad over time.

In Powell's last season we had a spine of Hamer, Morrison, Stephens, Kermorgant. Not the tip top, but pretty strong with plenty of Championship experience. Add a few quality players around that spine and we're genuinely competitive.

Except they've all gone and it looks like, if TBH goes, our spine is, er, Dimitrov, Sarr, Cousins, Vetokele.

Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.

A few things:
    1) Hamer, Stephens and Kermorgant wouldn't sign another contract with us so they're gone anyway for this season
    2) the spine is indeed important and for the first 15 games this season it consisted Henderson, Bikey, Ben Haim, Jackson/Cousins, Buyens with Vetokele + 1 up top. One can debate this but isn't it reasonable to suggest the spine is stronger?

3) I don't particularly rate Stephens and no one rated Hamer when it mattered. I'm afraid it's human nature for players to out perform in the last few months of their deals for they are playing for their next pay day. Sean Bartlett was a star when he first arrived on loan as he wanted a perm deal but later on not so good.

4) you don't mention Poyet and he's the one we have really missed - Coquelin helped and now perhaps Veljković will play the cdm role?

The squad and team evolves and we still need a number 9. At least the majority of the squad are with us for next season, perhaps 12 or 13 out of our best 18 players are on long term deals. They will have a years championship experience playing together and the gaps can and should be filled properly over the summer.

So yes it's reasonable to expect improvement over time...even at Charlton!
  • Sponsored links:

• He is starting tonight for Sporting tonight . Deal off?

https://twitter.com/SportingCP_en
  • Richard J said:

He is starting tonight for Sporting tonight . Deal off?

I've seen 2 versions:

1) Deal off, Sporting Lisbon are short off fit CBs.

2) Sarr plays tonight - and then he can leave for Charlton.

No idea which is true
  • Oggy Red said:

Richard J said:

I've seen 2 versions:

No idea which is true
    I can only find a badly translated link that says the deal is done and he will head to England after tonights game.

• Oggy Red said:

Richard J said:

I've seen 2 versions:

No idea which is true
    I can only find a badly translated link that says the deal is done and he will head to England after tonights game.

have you got the link?
  • I agree. It sounds like he is going nowhere. The only way I see him coming to us is if he kicks up a real stink and refuses to play (which is highly unlikely given it is Charlton we are talking about!).
  • Never really post on here but read your comments daily. Just thought I'd try and clear this up as I speak Portuguese and when I read an article on Sarr from the Portuguese press a couple of days ago it said that he was staying in Portugal for tonight's game and then would sign for us on loan for the rest of the season. This suggests the deal is still on but the article I read is a couple of days old!
  • I read that as deal off due to injuries at Sporting.
  • Just re-read the article and it says that Sporting wanted to use him tonight against V.Setubal (??) in the Cup and the deal will only become official after the game. Apparently there was an offer from Evian in France and other Spanish clubs. You could well be right though as this article was for the 26th and I've not read anything since.
  • It's like deadline day, will he won't he on off done not done

Who's Jim white is fanny Natalie sawyer
  • Sponsored links:

• lolwray said:

anagram of bryan ars

Thought Naby Sarr sounded like a side dish at a Curry house.
  • Letting TBH go right now would be stupid in my view.
    Unless we win...and win and win and win.......
  • https://translate.google.be/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.ojogo.pt/Futebol/1a_liga/Sporting/interior.aspx?content_id=4371931&edit-text=

From this Google Mangled article, it would suggest that Sarr coming in is agreed but dependent on Sporting loaning in another defender.

Also suggests that there is a clause in the loan contract regarding Sarr getting regular playing time.
  • tricky said:

https://translate.google.be/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.ojogo.pt/Futebol/1a_liga/Sporting/interior.aspx?content_id=4371931&edit-text=

From this Google Mangled article, it would suggest that Sarr coming in is agreed but dependent on Sporting loaning in another defender.

Also suggests that there is a clause in the loan contract regarding Sarr getting regular playing time.

Recipe for disaster
  • Talal said:

As it happens, relatively speaking, no it's not!
    January 31st is ranked 343 out of 366.

September 16th (my daughter's birthday) is top, while February 29th (unsurprisingly) is bottom, followed by December 25th.

http://www.tableau.com/public/gallery/how-common-your-birthday

As an aside, there are some interesting anomalies in the chart. Notice how the 13th of any month is a bit less popular?
    Also, look at the Christmas holiday bit. Apparently, this is because hospitals are less likely to induce on public holidays.

Now, back to Naby Sarr...

:smiley:
    Both of my first 2 were born in November - it's no coincidence that we always used to go and get some tropical Winter's sun in February
  • ScottishLion ‏@SportingLions06 6m6 minutes ago

Bruno Uvini apparently in talks with Sporting. This COULD lead to the departure of Sarr to Charlton after all? #CAFC #SCP