Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

naby sarr ? another from outside the rd network

Comments

• "Charlton have agreed a deal to bring French Under-21 international central defender, Mouhamadou-Naby Sarr, to The Valley on loan.

Sarr moved to Sporting Club Portugal from Lyon in the summer. The Marseille born 21-year-old has made just four appearances for Sporting and last appeared for them in November.

He cost Sporting a million Euros and signed a six-year deal. He has a release clause in his contract that will be triggered if a bid in excess of 45 million Euros is made!

The formalities should be completed in time for Sarr to be available for the crunch game with Rotherham on Saturday."

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201501&date=20150126&time=2249
  • edited January 2015

What RD and Meire cannot fail to have noticed is that it's a long season with no easy games. 50 games including the cups takes its toll on form and fitness.

I think they got it right last summer in that the squad was good enough to get us to November. But we clearly needed strengthening and cover AFTER injuries occurred. Whether players come from the network or not isn't the issue for me.

It's more about filling obvious gaps and continuing to build a decent squad. We had Coquelin and now Veljković - all good but how about a number 9?

Whilst I fully take on board that it is a long season I have to pick you up on this as 48 games is the norm. This season has been an exceptional one but, even then, it's only going to be 49.

We can only dream about being a Sheffield United. They will play at least 61 games this season including 15 Cup matches.
  • I'm sure they're working on a number 9. Will be chuffed if it's someone of the calibre of Sarr.
  • it's odd to have five CB's who all have a reasonable expectation of game time when we only have 19 games left this season
  • rikofold said:

colin1961 said:

It's funny how everyone goes silent when that happens ...

Well he's probably run out of buckets for the shite he's been shipping in from the other network clubs.

You realise you're getting yourself all worked up over a 21 year old who's played just 8 league games this season, shipping countless goals in the meantime?

EDIT: Meant to ask - how are you feeling about RD sacking the 4th best manager in our history?
    I've moved on !
    Well Untill the 28th of Feb that is when the messiah comes back to the valley
    Perhaps a blast of "The Hallelujah Chorus" after the RRR would be appropriate ?

Representing Nativity, Death, Resurrection or Ascension ?
  • thenewbie said:

se9addick said:

it's odd to have five CB's who all have a reasonable expectation of game time when we only have 19 games left this season

There WON'T be five by the end of the window though. Not all expecting to play at least. Gomez is currently more likely to fill in at RB as the centre, Velcrowhatsit the loanee seems to be in midfield and Ben Haim has issues with Luzon from way before either were here so who knows how that will play out. Not to mention Bikey's gradual melt down over the last few months. Getting more/new centrebacks in isn't neglecting the squad's weaknesses, it's addressing them before yet more wheels come off the Charlton bus, and is to be applauded frankly!
    My five were;

TBH
    Bikey
    Oneweyu
    Gomez
    Sarr

With 19 games that's a lot, if bringing this kid in is to replace an experienced player like Bikey and/or TBH then that's worrying in the extreme. Don't take this as me just looking for an opportunity to bash the regime, it's not, it's just odd that we'll probably knock our own fantastic prospect one step further down the pecking order in his favoured position to benefit somebody else's fantastic prospect.
  • I don't see anything wrong with this signing, whether Ben Haim leaves or not, which i really hope he doesn't. Considering neither Ben Haim, Bikey or Onyewu have any real pace maybe some young blood is what we need. As others have said Gomez seems to be Right Back cover and i am not sure that we see Lennon or Thomas as ready yet. With a 45m Euro release clause Lisbon must see something in him, but no chance of us signing him if any good. Lets give him a chance.

Strikers and midfielders now please. Midfield wise i'd like a proper tough tackling player in the middle and an attacking midfielder.
  • Oneweyu's history of playing games isn't great and perhaps RD has only just realised that. TBH &/or Bikey will get injured or suspended too (even possibly at the same time such is the nature of such things) so we will have little or no cover
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited January 2015
    One of the transfers ins that Katrein Meire talked about. It looks like TBH is heading out the door. Doesn't actually make the team stronger IMO if TBH goes. Whilst Nabby Sarr may be a promising young player, but is this what is needed to replace the Championship experience of TBH ? Also, not our player but Sporting Lisbon's. . Naby replacing TBH also fits in with the Duchatelet template finding a cheaper replacement for an existing player. Releasing Morrisson looks more and more a poor management decision as the season progresses.

Still waiting for the creative midfielder and hold up attacker.
  • TBH- contract runs out at end of season, Onyewu- Loan runs out at end of Season.
    Sarr- Loan runs out at end of Season. I think it is sensible to get in Rodas on a perm and. Sarr on loan as I expect Onyewu and maybe Ben Haim to leave.
    I also feel that Gomez is not yet ready for the rigours of playing Championship football at centre half yet. But I think he will be a mainstay at Centre Half in the future.
  • dickplumb said:

TBH- contract runs out at end of season, Onyewu- Loan runs out at end of Season.
    Sarr- Loan runs out at end of Season. I think it is sensible to get in Rodas on a perm and. Sarr on loan as I expect Onyewu and maybe Ben Haim to leave.
    I also feel that Gomez is not yet ready for the rigours of playing Championship football at centre half yet. But I think he will be a mainstay at Centre Half in the future.

not on loan, signed a short term contract, until when though? maybe he's off elsewhere.

• Ok it wasn't on loan but it is a contract to the end of the season.
  • se9addick said:

thenewbie said:

se9addick said:

it's odd to have five CB's who all have a reasonable expectation of game time when we only have 19 games left this season

There WON'T be five by the end of the window though. Not all expecting to play at least. Gomez is currently more likely to fill in at RB as the centre, Velcrowhatsit the loanee seems to be in midfield and Ben Haim has issues with Luzon from way before either were here so who knows how that will play out. Not to mention Bikey's gradual melt down over the last few months. Getting more/new centrebacks in isn't neglecting the squad's weaknesses, it's addressing them before yet more wheels come off the Charlton bus, and is to be applauded frankly!
    My five were;

TBH
    Bikey
    Oneweyu
    Gomez
    Sarr

With 19 games that's a lot, if bringing this kid in is to replace an experienced player like Bikey and/or TBH then that's worrying in the extreme. Don't take this as me just looking for an opportunity to bash the regime, it's not, it's just odd that we'll probably knock our own fantastic prospect one step further down the pecking order in his favoured position to benefit somebody else's fantastic prospect.
    Yeah, but of those 5, Onyewu has a patchy fitness record (and not just here), Gomez is even younger than Sarr, and less experienced, Bikey REALLY needs a break, Ben Haim may well not even be here for long - and has played a lot and could do with a rest. Gomez seems to be the favoured reserve right back now, which HAS to be better than Lawrie Wilson fitting in there, and I would be reluctant to make him a mainstay in as physical and combative a position as CB at his age - if a young prospect gets his confidence/form knocked by a bad run in defence, may as well let it not be ours!
  • dickplumb said:

TBH- contract runs out at end of season, Onyewu- Loan runs out at end of Season.

not on loan, signed a short term contract, until when though? maybe he's off elsewhere.

When he signed there were rumours he only came to get fit for the MLS .I was surprised when we extended his contract although he did play well against Cardiff. Maybe he was a Bob signing and Guy Luzon does not fancy him. It could be the Head Coach does have a say afterall.
  • Richard J said:

dickplumb said:

When he signed there were rumours he only came to get fit for the MLS .I was surprised when we extended his contract although he did play well against Cardiff. Maybe he was a Bob signing and Guy Luzon does not fancy him. It could be the Head Coach does have a say afterall.
    Not quick enough, Luzon likes to play a higher defensive line, hence why he is bringing in quick younger CBs, with a lot of height which might actually make us more dangerous from set pieces.
  • Richard J said:

dickplumb said:

Not quick enough, Luzon likes to play a higher defensive line, hence why he is bringing in quick younger CBs, with a lot of height which might actually make us more dangerous from set pieces.
    And less vulnerable at the other end.
  • Oneweyu's history of playing games isn't great and perhaps RD has only just realised that. TBH &/or Bikey will get injured or suspended too (even possibly at the same time such is the nature of such things) so we will have little or no cover

Good scouting network that.
  • I would be very disappointed to lose TBH tbh.

He's been our most consistent performer this season and without his experience we would be in the brown and smelly. The only good thing about him leaving, if indeed he is, is that it might help dressing room unity, if the rumours of a split camp are true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vincenzo said:

I'm sure they're working on a number 9. Will be chuffed if it's someone of the calibre of Sarr.

It said in the paper had been playing for their B team in Portugese 2nd division.

Surely that is weaker than the English 2nd tier.

• MrOneLung said:

Vincenzo said:

I'm sure they're working on a number 9. Will be chuffed if it's someone of the calibre of Sarr.

It said in the paper had been playing for their B team in Portugese 2nd division.

Surely that is weaker than the English 2nd tier.

Proves nothing. After all, Harry Kane got two goals in 13 appearances for Norwich last season, now he's tearing up the Premiership. Heck, Coquelin was just last month out on loan to a struggling Championship team, now he's winning plaudits in an Arsenal team hitting an up turn...
  • And #cafc looking to close a loan deal for Sporting Lisbon defender Naby Sarr - 6ft 5ins CB.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) January 27, 2015
  • If he's got a 43m release clause as alledged he must have something about him!
  • Check out Cawley with all these exclusives.

Exclusives that we've known about for weeks.
  • edited January 2015
    I welcome the new signing, as seems decent but will be dissapointed if it is to replace Ben Haim due to the arrival of Luzon, as he is the one actual success from the Network so far, a quality player, only 32 and who is settled in London, hopefully we are offering him a contract extension to build our defence around not moving him out because of RD latest chosen one, even more so considering they don't tend to last very long before the next chosen one arrives.
  • anagram of bryan ars
  • I welcome the new signing, as seems decent but will be annoyed if it is to replace Ben Haim due to the arrival of Luzon, as he is the one actual success from the Network so far, a quality player, only 32 and who is settled in London, hopefully we are offering him a contract extension to build our defence around not moving him out because of RD latest chosen one, even more so considering they don't tend to last very long before the next chosen one arrives.

I agree. I remember watching an interview with George Graham once and he said he didn't care if he didn't get on with a player. If he was going to help him win football matches, he'd pick him. Luzon and TBH need to man up.
  • IF he signs which Is a very much a if then perhaps it is significant .

not because he's from outside the network but because he is just the type of player that the network would have bought for Leige and then move to us.

Now he is coming straight here. Maybe.

WIOTOS

On loan.
  • I welcome the new signing, as seems decent but will be annoyed if it is to replace Ben Haim due to the arrival of Luzon, as he is the one actual success from the Network so far, a quality player, only 32 and who is settled in London, hopefully we are offering him a contract extension to build our defence around not moving him out because of RD latest chosen one, even more so considering they don't tend to last very long before the next chosen one arrives.

I agree. I remember watching an interview with George Graham once and he said he didn't care if he didn't get on with a player. If he was going to help him win football matches, he'd pick him. Luzon and TBH need to man up.
    Im hoping the fact he played on Saturday, means it is all just talk, surely we are not going to make the same mistake of letting an experienced quality player go on the cheap two January transfer windows in a row.