Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Question of Valley Express

13»

Comments

• only even used Valley Express once, which was Brighton this season, because of parking my football driver(brother) decided Valley Express would be the be easier

no issues with it, was a good service, picked us up from The Valley and was not to expensive either

That's not Valley Express is it ? Sounds like Valley away or whatever the away game service is called.
  • only even used Valley Express once, which was Brighton this season, because of parking my football driver(brother) decided Valley Express would be the be easier

no issues with it, was a good service, picked us up from The Valley and was not to expensive either

That's not Valley Express is it ? Sounds like Valley away or whatever the away game service is called.
    my mistake, I thought they were the same thing
  • DPFC said:

since retiring I use the VEX from whitstable and the coach is usually pretty full. I meet my granson who lives in bromley at the valley. For me to drive to the valley park and walk long distances would make it difficult for me to attend . there is no easy direct transport routes.This would me mean giving up my season tiket and my grandson would also give up his. Meaning loss to the club at every match of 2 tickets 2 programmes 2 pies and 4 drinks plus the the odd purchase in club shop .

I am sure I am not the only one who would be effected in this way

@DPFC you are the business case for Valley Express.
  • This seems very much a finite discussion of a group of accountants on where a profit or loss is made. Vex is not targeted at local fans. Its targeted at fans 30/40/50 miles away from the Valley and where the cost price of travel is offered at a discount somewhere below the alternative public transport. Its really a convenience service particularly for those with mobility issues with the trade off being the Season ticket revenue which is presumed gained or lost if the service is not provided as is. It appears to me it is extremely difficult to prove who will/will not renew on this element alone.

I would be pretty sure RD will have KM doing the sums on the various scenarios and outcomes if its discontinued/repriced.

The fact is The Valley hasnt moved (excluding the Selhurst/Upton Park eras) and if supporters have chosen to move further away from the Valley or indeed always lived that far away then their choice of supporting Charlton is theirs alone. I have moved further away from the Valley from when I supported as a teenager and I dont expect the club to subsidise my travel costs to enthuse me to buy a season ticket.

I wish this was currently the sort of club that would have this sort of Community spirit about it but it clearly doesnt any more. Its part of a European financial network trading in players and assets not a fogies travel club. So there will be other factors for me in renewing season tickets of which my travel costs is actually a small consideration.
  • If Valley Express ceases I really can't see either of my parents travelling up by car especially as it would be me driving each way and I don't really fancy that. The train is an option for me, especially as I already have an all zones travel card annual season, but it adds time onto the whole day and then there are associated other issues involved. I would ultimately still go but it's the start of a slippery slope in my opinion. The Club might save some money in stopping the service re it's actual costs but will lose far more in reduced ticket sales, reduced programme and food sales etc. would be very short sighted but I can see it coming.
  • Surely there's a big difference between stopping the service altogether, which would be insane and the club ceasing to subsidies a certain % of fans travel arrangements?
  • Trouble is we don't know whether they are planning to end the service altogether or increase fares. While there is any doubt, people will not renew STs if they can't get to The Valley without it. I have never used Valley Express, though would if it ran here, so am not hoping for cheap fares myself, but hearing others stories I do feel the club will be casting out a portion of fans (probably mainly older ones) who no longer drive, and they are the ones who have supported for years and deserve help in getting to the ground.
  • Trouble is we don't know whether they are planning to end the service altogether or increase fares. While there is any doubt, people will not renew STs if they can't get to The Valley without it. I have never used Valley Express, though would if it ran here, so am not hoping for cheap fares myself, but hearing others stories I do feel the club will be casting out a portion of fans (probably mainly older ones) who no longer drive, and they are the ones who have supported for years and deserve help in getting to the ground.

believe that KM said at the last FF that they would make a decision before season ticket renewals were isuued

• This seems very much a finite discussion of a group of accountants on where a profit or loss is made. Vex is not targeted at local fans. Its targeted at fans 30/40/50 miles away from the Valley and where the cost price of travel is offered at a discount somewhere below the alternative public transport. Its really a convenience service particularly for those with mobility issues with the trade off being the Season ticket revenue which is presumed gained or lost if the service is not provided as is. It appears to me it is extremely difficult to prove who will/will not renew on this element alone.

I would be pretty sure RD will have KM doing the sums on the various scenarios and outcomes if its discontinued/repriced.

The fact is The Valley hasnt moved (excluding the Selhurst/Upton Park eras) and if supporters have chosen to move further away from the Valley or indeed always lived that far away then their choice of supporting Charlton is theirs alone. I have moved further away from the Valley from when I supported as a teenager and I dont expect the club to subsidise my travel costs to enthuse me to buy a season ticket.

I wish this was currently the sort of club that would have this sort of Community spirit about it but it clearly doesnt any more. Its part of a European financial network trading in players and assets not a fogies travel club. So there will be other factors for me in renewing season tickets of which my travel costs is actually a small consideration.

I undertstand some of the sentinents you have expressed peanut man, but if as your name suggests you remember him you must be a fellow 'fogey' like myself. Like you I do lament the community spirit, but this is a little bit more considered that just moving away from South east London, albeit I only moved a few miles out.
    Our personnal travel arrangements aside..... I an simply unsure this makes any financial sense, for the reasons already stated.
    No one is demanding a blank cheque, or an open ending commitment, but the trouble with accountant's is that they know the 'price of everything, and the value of nothing'...... to use a rather tired, and old expression.
    I am glad that the financial cost will not deter yourself, but as others have posted it may well affect your other fellow supporters.
    At a time when the Valley looks, fairly empty at most home games I would have thought that getting those seats filled should be the main focus for our senior management. They could bring back the peanut man as well while they are at it......

• Sponsored links: