Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Missing in action. Phil Chapple.

Does anybody on here know what Phil Chapple does ?
I know he is or was our chief scout. Is he still actively working for us because if he is , what is he doing ?
Does he liase with Roly or katrien ?
Does he get paid to source talent from home and abroad ? If he does where is it ?
Does he have a specific job watching the network and identifying players ? If not what is he doing?

Comments

• Just because we ain't signing them it doesn't mean he isn't making recommendations.
  • He was like bambi was good old phil.
  • I can't believe Roly would keep paying him to do nothing.
  • Where's the talent that he is supposed to identify
  • Prague. I have joint the trust just not seen interview. Can you enlighten me please. Thanks
  • markmc68 said:

Where's the talent that he is supposed to identify

Standard Liege ?
  • markmc68 said:

Where's the talent that he is supposed to identify

Standard Liege ?
    Yep, he's scouting the network.

• Sponsored links:

• Only asking the questions bolder. Hoping to bump into him on the train
  • Big interview with him in the last Trust News

Answers a lot of your questions.

Please join the Trust.

Thanks for mentioning that. Just read the interview. Interesting stuff.
  • markmc68 said:

Prague. I have joint the trust just not seen interview. Can you enlighten me please. Thanks

Thanks for joining. If you click on the link to Trust News, here, it should take you to the whole magazine, and then the interview with Phil is I think the third article.

One of the most surprising things he told us was that every outside of network player we are interested in has to also be looked at by Standard - and vice versa. It's not clear what happens if both clubs fancy a player, but it seemed to imply that we and Standard somehow have a higher priority within the network than the others.

Did you not get a copy of the magazine though, as a member ? You should have done

• markmc68 said:

Prague. I have joint the trust just not seen interview. Can you enlighten me please. Thanks

Thanks for joining. If you click on the link to Trust News, here, it should take you to the whole magazine, and then the interview with Phil is I think the third article.

One of the most surprising things he told us was that every outside of network player we are interested in has to also be looked at by Standard - and vice versa. It's not clear what happens if both clubs fancy a player, but it seemed to imply that we and Standard somehow have a higher priority within the network than the others.

Did you not get a copy of the magazine though, as a member ? You should have done

Bloody hell @PragueAddick‌. So does that mean if we want to buy Freddie Sears, for example, the scouts at Standard would also have to watch him and agree to the deal?
  • Valley11 said:

markmc68 said:

Bloody hell @PragueAddick‌. So does that mean if we want to buy Freddie Sears, for example, the scouts at Standard would also have to watch him and agree to the deal?
    Well looking at the section again (sorry I can't cut and paste it) it says that a buy or a loan has to be "cleared" by the other club, and that if both were interested, Phil says he presumes RD would decide which club has priority for that player. He says Coquelin had been on our radar for some time before we got him. So it seems like it's part of the knowledge and resource-sharing idea. A good idea, in principle....
  • Which jewels has Phil ever spotted?
  • Chapple was here when we built the league one winning side.

Since then there either hasn't been a budget (Post Cash Jimenez) or we have the network model.

We don't know how many great players he's recommended that we didn't then go on to buy for whatever reason.

But if I remember from that article Coquelin was one.
  • Sponsored links:

• I blame Mervyn Day.
  • We do seem to miss out on a lot of players that go to other clubs. You would think that the lure of London may tempt players but obviously after the delort and O'Grady debacles it's all about the Benjamins. We can not compete because the network sees a short term fix as the solution. I wonder how O'Grady would have done in comparison to tucadean. Hindsight I know !!!
  • edited January 2015
    Neither Delort or O'Grady have done anything special this season so not sure I'd describe not signing them as 'missing out.'
  • Neither Delort or O'Grady have done anything special this season so not sure I'd describe not signing them as 'missing out.'

In Delort's case I think you are generous to suggest he's done anything at all.

But I'm a bit obsessed, I must admit :-)

• I agree. But George has been a great success. Was this one of phils gems. O'Grady as a foil for vetokele would have been a better alternative. But the lure of staying up north was all too much.
  • Good article that, thanks PA

• Just to be clear about Trust News (TNT) as one or two other people have raised the matter recently:

In a perfect world every Trust member as part of their membership would get a copy of Trust News when it is published, but it would cost us £500 to mail out each time and we'd be bankrupt by now. Also, we are obviously keen to get it to non-members. I would reckon about half our members pick up a copy on a match day but, if they can't, it is always available on the website about a week after publication.

• I have many memories of mid 90s Charlton.

One of which will be watching the end of season video and seeing Chaps running to catch up with play entering from stage right just as the opposition centre back heads in to our goal.
  • Les Reed is to blame for all of this. Sack him
  • Chapple is a really engaging bloke to talk to actually. His knowledge is encyclopaedic but if Big Bob had his preferences he would overrule Chapple.