Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Actually think this "Guy" will do a good job

Comments

• thenewbie said:

Frankly Buyens seems to have gone off the boil long ago, Ben Haim is the one who's got me worried - he was pretty shocking against Watford but then so was pretty much everyone, and he's been a rock even as Bikey's lost the plot over the course of the season. If he can't/won't find a way to make peace with the new manager we are truly buggered.

Simple really. They don't give a toss anymore. Buyens will return to Belgium soon, as he has previously fallen out with the new coach and would expect to be moved on. TBH & Bikey have probably decided they will be off as well. When it starts going pear-shaped it's usually every man for himself. They will be looking after no.1.
  • I'd be more confident if he had appeared to get jobs on merit, as opposed to having a well connected relative or agent.

He will have a harder job than Riga, as Riga inherited what appeared to be a unified camp
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

IMO he has got no chance.

He has no previous experience in English football or understands what Charlton is all about.

He's the head coach for a management team who are still not grasping that English football is totally different to the Belgian League, in depth and quality. As indicated by the inadequate network players they keep sending over. We need 4or 5 Championship savvy players.

He'll get no money to spend on new players. So it's network players again.

He's got a dressing room in revolt, because they see him as the same as the previous manager they've just pushed out. Some of the players he has upset previously at SL have probably already decided they ain't gonna try a leg if he is in charge, as witnessed yesterday. Player-power wins in the end, unless you are prepared to clear out the problem players, which if we did, would leave us without enough players to form an XI, as the management has cut squad numbers. (Don't estimate player-power, I witnessed Peter Withe run out of Wimbledon within weeks of his appointment, because the players decided he wasn't the manager they wanted).

He'll get no honeymoon period from the fans, who are rightly upset by the way the owner and CEO are treating everyone as stupid. Open hostility is about to start at home matches.

The fixture list is also unfavourable. Wolves, Middlesbrough & Norwich coming up. They will all be sniffing blood. He will need to beat Rotherham, otherwise it could be nil points out of 12. he needs a miracle win at Wolves, (if he is allowed a work permit).

This. Although several sources indicate a couple of additions, love them to be Ciftci & Wallace rather than imports from the Low countries. Given we are still 8 points off the poor bottom three we might survive until Wilmotts arrives close season.

• Luzon started well with Liege because he had another manager's team. He soon cocked it all up and it ended in a riot. Apparently, when he joined Liege, supporters of his previous Israeli club wanted to go to Belgium to lynch him. He basically will do what Duchatelet tells him to. I have already heard that he is happy with the squad. We know former Liege players don't like him and we the reaction we got to this development on Saturday from the players spoke volumes. I am seriously expecting Duchatelet to unzip his bodysuit and reveal he is really Simon Jordan making good on his pledge to destroy us!

To Duchatelet

'Are you Simon Jordan in disguise ? '

or Maybe it was Simon Jordan who gave Duchatelet the investment tip ?

• Balance lad, balance!
    First he didn't "cock it up at Liege". They made a strategic choice to not bother with the Europa league and concentrate on the League which they hadn't won for ten(?) years. I think that's reasonable. They were clear top in March and Ben Haim, Bulot and Buyens played a part.
    After beating Anderlecht at home in the play-offs they drew most of the rest, then lost the away game to Anderlecht which cost them the league.

We don't know the relationship network Luzon and those players but M.Duchatelet should. And if he is bringing in Luzon knowing it will be a car crash then he's a bigger fool than he has looked to date.

Similarly if M.Duchatelet doesn't bring in quality additions then he's equally foolish.

I think @Tutt-Tutt‌ describes the possible outcomes and the current environment very well: no honeymoon, hostility at home games etc.
    There's one chance to get the wheels back on and that's Rotherham.

And our play-off hopes have gone from 20:1 to 250:1 while relegation has gone from 20:1 to 6:1.

Riga and Jackson pulled us out of the fire last March. I wonder what Jackson's thoughts are now?
  • How can he be a bigger fool than he has looked to date?
  • Good point.

Wasn't at the game.

Judging on performance, could you potentially see any justification in me digging out this post after a year in order to be smug?

Judging from score line, obviously more solid.
  • A huge point today and a great start for the new coach given the backdrop of poor results, general turmoil and widespread negativity.

I have been and remain positive for the future under Duchatelet (although the ride is proving very uncomfortable just at the moment!). I don't know what to make of the sacking of Bob (we just don;t know the facts), but further turmoil and negativity left me worried that the team would take another heavy defeat today that could see us accelerating towards relegation. So a big sigh of relief and congratulations to Guy and the team for halting the slide.

Fingers crossed for a bit of calm after the storm and mid table safety.
  • Sponsored links:

• After last week. a 0-0 is progress. But i hope Luzon does not start with the same team next week if we want to win.
    what will be the difference from Bob team if we start with just one striker at home.
    Please play 2 out and out strikers next week.
    I'm afraid like Peeters he would rather not lose than to be bold and take a risk.
    A good start if we don't blame him for the Watford defeat.

Feel more relief that we fond some pride.

Guy has a full week to work with the players.
    It would be great if they could work on getting more players into the box when we attack ?
    Let's hope we do sign 2 or 3 Championship standard players who we don't have to wait another season for them to mature. We need signings who are already up to speed.

Agree with souladdick, we need a bit of calm before we reach mid table safety,
    to start scoring again would be nice.

• I suppose we'll know when Henderson is fit again. You couldn't really argue with the decision to drop Etheridge.
  • braydex said:

The fact the RD finally got someone to play HIS keeper says it all. Nothing personal, but what has he done to earn his place in a championship lineup? Nothing. GL is employed to try and make RD a quick buck. I expect one or two more network players by the end of the month. Seems what RD wants he gets. Inc. gullible fans

I guess you saw him and Etheridge train all week?
  • Whilst I do not agree with the network signings, everyone keeps harping on about 'championship standard players' who are these players? Who is going to want to play for Charlton in what appears a disfunctional club?
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Whilst I do not agree with the network signings, everyone keeps harping on about 'championship standard players' who are these players? Who is going to want to play for Charlton in what appears a disfunctional club?

And people keep harping on about Championship experienced managers. What? Like Ian Holloway, Lee Clark & Uwe Rosler? Aren't they all floundering in the bottom 3? Whilst Watford & middlesboro dont seem to be doing too bad under their unknown foreign coaches!
    ^Agree with this.

Yes `experience' of any league/division for any manager is obviously a bonus but I think its importance is exaggerated. A good manager is a good manager....they adapt and get up to speed. They sort it out. Thats what makes them good managers.

• Taxi_Lad said:

Whilst I do not agree with the network signings, everyone keeps harping on about 'championship standard players' who are these players? Who is going to want to play for Charlton in what appears a disfunctional club?

And people keep harping on about Championship experienced managers. What? Like Ian Holloway, Lee Clark & Uwe Rosler? Aren't they all floundering in the bottom 3? Whilst Watford & middlesboro dont seem to be doing too bad under their unknown foreign coaches!
    The discussion about managers is largely irrelevant under Duchatelet, unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• At draw was a decent start but the next few weeks will show if it's a small plateau on the drop down the table or the first signs of something better. Saturday v Rotherham is a must-win and then three tough games. If GL can get six points from those four matches - and not lose at Wigan - then we have a decent chance of staying up.
  • Not bringing this back for a I told you so, as really, that would be cringeworthy, and I really don't know what I'm talking about, but, currently, Guy Luzon has had the impact we were hoping for and barely expecting. He's also making Bob Peeters look a lot worse.

To be honest, it's all about the football...and it looks like he's currently doing a rather good job in comparison to the team we were against Watford at vicerage road last month.

He has had tony watt at his disposal at quite probably, and luckily, just the right time.

We want goals....it's what football fans all want, to be entertained with high scoring convincing dominating victories. We are now getting that.

Nearly every player has shown some sign of improvement since.

What a Guy.
  • Dave2l said:

I think we're doomed for relegation to be honest, I hope I'm wrong.

Was at Vicerage road last night and to be honest the whole 90mins stunk of relegation.

Luzon needs to perform a miracle here. The pressure is well and truly on.
    Reading some and enjoying...
  • edited February 2015
    Dave2l said:

Not bringing this back for a I told you so, as really, that would be cringeworthy, and I really don't know what I'm talking about, but, currently, Guy Luzon has had the impact we were hoping for and barely expecting. He's also making Bob Peeters look a lot worse.

To be honest, it's all about the football...and it looks like he's currently doing a rather good job in comparison to the team we were against Watford at vicerage road last month.

He has had tony watt at his disposal at quite probably, and luckily, just the right time.

We want goals....it's what football fans all want, to be entertained with high scoring convincing dominating victories. We are now getting that.

What a Guy.

Dave2l, I don't disagree that Luzon is doing alright. It would be churlish to say otherwise.

But don't forget, he's got half a new & far better team PLAYING than Peeters had when he was sacked.

Henderson, Johnson, Eagles, Diarra & Watt. The difference in this league between say 20th and 12th place is probably 2 decent players and we've now got 5 more, than were playing when Peeters was sacked.
  • Dave2l said:

Not bringing this back for a I told you so, as really, that would be cringeworthy, and I really don't know what I'm talking about, but, currently, Guy Luzon has had the impact we were hoping for and barely expecting. He's also making Bob Peeters look a lot worse.

What a Guy.

Dave2l, I don't disagree that Luzon is doing alright. It would be churlish to say otherwise.

But don't forget, he's got half a new & far better team PLAYING than Peeters had when he was sacked.

Henderson, Johnson, Eagles, Diarra & Watt. The difference in this league between say 20th and 12th place is probably 2 decent players and we've now got 5 more, than were playing when Peeters was sacked.
    I agree, his circumstances with the players he can now select are much kinder to him then what peeters had, throughout his entire 6 month tenure

Playing cousins in the middle is a start!
  • edited February 2015
    Agreed, but why did Peeters play Cousins on the left ?
    Answer, because we only had one decent forward Vetokele.
    Tucudean wasn't good enough, so Peeters put Harriott up front & Cousins wide.

If Peeters had Vetokele & Watt up front do you think he would have left one of them out for Harriott ?
    I don't. I think Harriott would have played on the left and Cousins in the middle.

It's so much easier when you have more than 1 decent striker in your squad.

Imagine what we might achieve with more than 2 decent strikers ?

We'll need them if we want to mount a challenge next season, otherwise the exact same thing could happen next season as this, as soon as the injuries start to bite.
  • Players actually playing in there best positions is the key. How long have we been saying play cousins in the middle. Bullot is now a much improved player in his correct position. No right back playing left back. The balance is much better. Not rocket science but so many managers don't do this. Well done to Luzon!
  • edited February 2015
    Luzon is stuffing my own thoughts back down my, er, ear? Anyway, I think he's overseen some master strokes, some more obvious than others.

Firstly, putting Watt and Vetokele together was long overdue, but they look a fearsome combination and a genuine partnership is developing.

He's put Cousins in the centre, which is by far his best position. Now in part necessity was the mother of invention but not going to complain if we have a lucky manager.

He's clearly benefitted from more suitable players bring brought in. Johnson is a talker and has marshalled the back line brilliantly, especially today with Gomez (what a fabulous prospect this kid is). Watt was everywhere today , both ends of the pitch, a performance reminiscent of a certain Frenchman too-soon-departed. Eagles adds something different too. Diarra looks like he has class if he has the desire.

Most of all though, Luzon's shown that possession can be used to a purpose. He's so much more direct than Peeters was, not long ball as I feared in the early couple of games, but getting the ball forward more quickly. He's also clearly told the players to carry the ball forward, and that's allowed Bulot to find some real form, and some freedom across the attack. It helps bring the play up the pitch and reduces that gap between midfield and the forwards that we've struggled with for a few seasons. And 9 goals in 4 is testimony to how effective some simple changes can be.

I still worry that there's nothing in the squad behind the front two - an injury, particularly to Watt, will have a huge impact. I'm enjoying the way we're playing though and I think the players are too.

Let's get the best of this lot signed up for next year at least, by the way