Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Actually think this "Guy" will do a good job

I'm one of those Charlton fans that thought Powell could do no wrong, partly due to my affection and faith for the man he is and Charlton legend status. Yes, I'm in the category of Charlton fans that highly disapproves of Rolands methods, also partly due to a strange feeling of stubbornness for wanting history to repeat itself and not accept a completely new era, which now appears much different from my favourite highlighted memories of being a Charlton fan. (The disapproving of RD' s methods probably taking a percentage increase over the last week)

However, after seeing Guy Luzon in a press conference via you tube, with katrien and Murray either side of him, I at 1st, thought, what a joke, he's boring, and this whole thing is a joke why am I watching this garbage at 2am.

I then kind of understood that, hang on, I don't really like this bloke, but he has actually got something. Something kind of tells me that he is a manager to possibly be excited for, not because you like him, but because he knows something. There is alot of football in that brain, you can see it in the eyes. He got sacked from Liege, but, he is a young manager and get your mistakes out the way while your young I guess. Guy Luzon.... I think, quite capable of being able to produce an interesting special team....Even if he is a tosser and a person no one is really gana warm to.

Watch this space. I Honestly, and reluctantly admit...I think Roland might have nailed it.

I'm gana allow myself to be positive and think this will be an interesting couple of years in Charlton history...

Comments

• Like with any new manager (refuse to use the silly head coach title), I'm always behind them unless (or until) they prove otherwise. I was behind Peeters at the start, but very quickly became disillusioned with his methods, style of play and the things he was saying. Even at the point we were unbeaten, there was something about him I couldn't take to, yet decided to bite my tongue, as some were claiming he was the new messiah and would have been happy to shoot me down for being negative. It made me wonder why he seemed to rub all the opposing managers up the wrong way. Nothing wrong with showing passion, but seemed to lack class.

Yes, I am suspicious of our regime and that includes Luzon, but I'll be cheering his team on, as they're my team, and I really do hope he's successful. I've yet to see any interviews of him, so can't comment on his persona, but it can only be a step up from Bob.............

• Penny for the Guy?
  • Uboat said:

Dave2l said:

There is alot of football in that brain, you can see it in the eyes.

I honestly admire your positivity, but am baffled by the above remark.
    Yeh it makes no sense. il explain, it's gut instinct basically.

I can not see football in his eyes, just an aura of confidence and self belief. But not the greatest most understandable accent.

I think he will have a long term career in English football. How I get all that from a press conference, I don't know.
  • I honestly have no feelings about him as a manager/coach - his record is not spectacular but for a relatively young manager it's hardly disgraceful to my eyes either - not great, but not terrible. People use his second season at Liege as a stick to beat him with but in truth that may be a little harsh - Derby were superior to QPR last season both over the whole season and in the actual play-offs but it was Dirty 'Arry's bunch of mercenaries who went up, that's the lottery of the system to an extent.

I've always pointed out that Riga's poor record/reputation did not truly affect his performances in England, at least at Charlton, lightning MAY strike twice so let's not write him off because of Roly Poly's duplicity - Luzon might be a company man but he's not an executive - he follows the lead. He didn't fire Bob, he didn't somehow sabotage Peeters, he has had nothing to do with the circumstances of his arrival/Bob's leaving - he's come in and he's got to make the best of it, and he'll need support from fans if he's going to do it.
  • Dave2l said:

I'm one of those Charlton fans that thought Powell could do no wrong, partly due to my affection and faith for the man he is and Charlton legend status. Yes, I'm in the category of Charlton fans that highly disapproves of Rolands methods, also partly due to a strange feeling of stubbornness for wanting history to repeat itself and not accept a completely new era, which now appears much different from my favourite highlighted memories of being a Charlton fan. (The disapproving of RD' s methods probably taking a percentage increase over the last week)

However, after seeing Guy Luzon in a press conference via you tube, with katrien and Murray either side of him, I at 1st, thought, what a joke, he's boring, and this whole thing is a joke why am I watching this garbage at 2am.

I then kind of understood that, hang on, I don't really like this bloke, but he has actually got something. Something kind of tells me that he is a manager to possibly be excited for, not because you like him, but because he knows something. There is alot of football in that brain, you can see it in the eyes. He got sacked from Liege, but, he is a young manager and get your mistakes out the way while your young I guess. Guy Luzon.... I think, quite capable of being able to produce an interesting special team....Even if he is a tosser and a person no one is really gana warm to.

Watch this space. I Honestly, and reluctantly admit...I think Roland might have nailed it.

I'm gana allow myself to be positive and think this will be an interesting couple of years in Charlton history...

Are you Dana Fahn-Luzon in disguise?
  • Penny for the Guy?

That's not a very positive transfer kitty.
  • thenewbie said:

I honestly have no feelings about him as a manager/coach - his record is not spectacular but for a relatively young manager it's hardly disgraceful to my eyes either - not great, but not terrible. People use his second season at Liege as a stick to beat him with but in truth that may be a little harsh - Derby were superior to QPR last season both over the whole season and in the actual play-offs but it was Dirty 'Arry's bunch of mercenaries who went up, that's the lottery of the system to an extent.

I've always pointed out that Riga's poor record/reputation did not truly affect his performances in England, at least at Charlton, lightning MAY strike twice so let's not write him off because of Roly Poly's duplicity - Luzon might be a company man but he's not an executive - he follows the lead. He didn't fire Bob, he didn't somehow sabotage Peeters, he has had nothing to do with the circumstances of his arrival/Bob's leaving - he's come in and he's got to make the best of it, and he'll need support from fans if he's going to do it.

Although can we be sure of this in light of Jimmy Stone's tweet (as mentioned on the other thread: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/65925/matthew-and-roberts-back-in-charge-at-charlton-as-luzon-misses-out-on-work-permit/p7)?

Considering he's been twisting Roland's arm over the #cafc job for weeks I'm amazed Luzon's work permit hasn't been sorted yet #cafc

— Jimmy Stone (@JimmyStone_) January 16, 2015
  • Fear I will be eating my words here, still, things can only get better (unless Wolves do us for 6-0)

The players are obviously completely unsettled...the ultimate cause being, stupid decisions from the owner.

It's a shame where in the hands of someone that thinks he knows best in all circumstances.

I'd give Luzon the benefit of the doubt, still. As we kind of have to.
  • edited January 2015
    No.
  • Sponsored links:

• I strongly feel that this Guy will be gone before the end of the season. His interview was shockingly uninspiring.
  • Interesting insight from Liege fan on ITTV - under Duchatelet you have picked on the wrong fans thread. Not positive I'm afraid,possibly unsurprisingly.

• vffvff
    edited January 2015
    The post that Muttley comments on from a Liege fan on ITTV is a pretty strong and damning post.

The hiring of a coach who speaks little English, who has fallen out with at least two of the major players of the team, Buyens and TBH ( part of the main spine of the team - edited after Dazzler's comments) and has little knowledge of the Championship appears to be very misguided. The response of the players, whilst being unforgivable in terms of the supporters paying to watch is not a good sign. I am not hopeful about this appointment. I think it will be another in a long line of poor decisions from Roland. Particularly if Roland chooses not to invest in any quality. I can't see Luzon being here for the mid to long term.

• 2 of the spine? Clarify please?
  • I think we're doomed for relegation to be honest, I hope I'm wrong.
  • edited January 2015
    The team was relying on experienced players to keep us through till January and it was a matter of hoping we strengthened in this window. With no sign of that, it looks like we have lost the motivation of some of the key players. Some people just like winding people up - there are a few on here and other sites - well maybe Duchatelet gets his kicks from that too. His decisions sometimes look like he is trying to upset fans because he can!
  • meldrew66 said:

I strongly feel that this Guy will be gone before the end of the season. His interview was shockingly uninspiring.

Proves nothing I'm afraid - I don't think Curbs was particularly inspriring in interviews either and as for Jimmy Seed!

I wonder what Liege fans were saying about Luzon before the play offs last season? I think that we have to appreciate that the standard of football is somewhat higher at Liege than at Charlton at present.
  • edited January 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

2 of the spine? Clarify please?

Buyens and Watt are hardly the spine! They're the only one's I can imagine you're referring to!

Buyens is Jackson's competition but is not the spine.

Watt has only just entered the building!
  • I think we're doomed for relegation to be honest, I hope I'm wrong.

Was at Vicerage road last night and to be honest the whole 90mins stunk of relegation.

Luzon needs to perform a miracle here. The pressure is well and truly on.
  • Easier job than Riga had imo
  • Sponsored links:

• I feel that JJ has a massive part to play in our "survival" this season. I just hope and prey he gets on with Mr Luzon. It will show everyone how much he "loves" the club, I think we really need him on the pitch but also off the pitch around the training ground etc BUT "if" he has got the proper hump and don't get on with our new coach.....................I think we could be fucked!

COYR..............
  • We probably need a player to unite the squad - JJ would be the obvious candidate for this essential role.
  • We can hope the Home Office plays it - no way Roland will.
  • Last week's relegation odds of 8-1 have been trimmed 2 points. Sadly, I think it's still worth a few bob.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Buyens and Watt are hardly the spine! They're the only one's I can imagine you're referring to!

Surely he meant Ben Haim rather than Watt? Luzon was praised by Watt after he was sacked.
  • Scoham said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Surely he meant Ben Haim rather than Watt? Luzon was praised by Watt after he was sacked.
    Agree. TBH and Buyens were marginalised by GL at Liege as well as Bulot. Watt has come out in support of Guy but as a newbie foisted with his old manager "he would say that wouldn't he". Luzon in his 1st press conference said Watt needs to work harder then benched him at Watford preferring a player carrying an injury.

With reported dressing room unrest how is Luzon going to unite the squad with his limited command of English?
  • vffvff
    edited January 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

Spine of the team - TBH as Centre back and Buyens as Centre midfield. Not a spine that appears that solid or likely to be around for long, even more so with Luzon around. They are 2 of the main players in the current team.
  • Frankly Buyens seems to have gone off the boil long ago, Ben Haim is the one who's got me worried - he was pretty shocking against Watford but then so was pretty much everyone, and he's been a rock even as Bikey's lost the plot over the course of the season. If he can't/won't find a way to make peace with the new manager we are truly buggered.
  • Dave2l said:

Uboat said:

Dave2l said:

There is alot of football in that brain, you can see it in the eyes.

I honestly admire your positivity, but am baffled by the above remark.
    Yeh it makes no sense. il explain, it's gut instinct basically.

I can not see football in his eyes, just an aura of confidence and self belief. But not the greatest most understandable accent.

I think he will have a long term career in English football. How I get all that from a press conference, I don't know.
    Are you Mystic Meg in disguise ?