Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Standard Article: Players not impressed and Peeters speaks

Mentioned in another thread, but worthy of its own. Worrying.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-players-concerned-that-guy-luzon-lacks-the-right-experience-9977022.htm

Charlton's appointment of Guy Luzon as their fourth coach in 10 months is believed to have caused unrest among senior players.

The Israeli yesterday signed a contract until the end of next season, succeeding the sacked Bob Peeters, and he will take charge of the Championship clash with Watford on Saturday.

Luzon is a familiar figure for club owner Roland Duchatelet as he was sacked in October by Standard Liege, another of the teams in the Belgian’s portfolio and who have close links with Charlton.

Yet Standard Sport understands that a number of players are frustrated that the club did not appoint a man with experience of the Championship, or at least of English football. None of Duchatelet’s three choices since he took control at The Valley in December 2013 — Jose Riga, Peeters and Luzon — had coached in English football, although Peeters had a brief spell as a player for Millwall from 2003-05.

Without a win in 10 League games, Charlton have slipped to 14th in the table and it is thought a number of players favoured a coach who could hit the ground running. Many of the club’s supporters have the same opinion.

There is also a feeling within the squad that there is a need for a powerful centre-forward, capable of dealing with the physical challenge of defenders and holding on to the ball to bring others into the game.

First-team coach Damian Matthew and goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts had initially been put in charge after Peeters’s sacking and took training yesterday before the playing staff were informed of Luzon’s appointment in the afternoon.

Despite the reservations among the players, which are believed to have been expressed to the club’s high command, there was to be no turning back, and Luzon was brought in yesterday.

Peeters was quoted in Belgium today as saying: “When Guy Luzon was sacked at Standard, I knew I had to be careful. I still regret that I had to leave.”

Duchatelet said: “I think the appointment of Guy Luzon will prove to be a very good one for the club. I regard him as an extremely talented coach who has already achieved a lot in his career so far. There were a lot of records broken during his first season at Standard Liège and they had the best defensive record in the League.

“He is a passionate coach who will give his all to Charlton and I hope supporters will get behind him.”

Luzon was due to be presented to the media today. The 39-year-old said: “It is important to have a positive spirit in the team and I want to ensure the entire group is fighting together for the good of the club.”

Luzon takes over a team who are 10 points adrift of the play-off spots.

Comments

• Lazy article. The big centre forward stuff is just taken from Bikey last week.

The Standard is a joke.
  • Mentioned in another thread, but worthy of its own. Worrying.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-players-concerned-that-guy-luzon-lacks-the-right-experience-9977022.htm

Charlton's appointment of Guy Luzon as their fourth coach in 10 months is believed to have caused unrest among senior players.

If that really is the collective attitude of the CAFC squad, as you write, it is very worrying. It's easy to say ... BUT ..The players simply MUST get behind the new man .. Shades of Clough at Leeds, a victim of 'player power' and I am sure that here are a lot more examples, it mustn't happen here.

• colin1961 said:

Load of tosh because Peeters is still in the Marriott at Bexleyheath

lol that made me chuckle col
  • Worrying yes, but the Evening Standard? I would rather gather my information from a wide gene pool than just that rag.
  • colin1961 said:

Who is paying the bill?

As an aside, my SL fan contact has said that Luzon and Buyens dislike each other and he would expect Buyens to return to SL as soon as he could!
  • Depends whether you believe the line 'Standard Sport understands that a number of players are frustrated that the club did not appoint a man with experience of the Championship, or at least of English football. '

I certainly don't believe anyone could 100% dismiss that imo, and that is the only real thing of value in the piece, other than Peeters basically saying he knew he was under pressure from September.
  • "There is also a feeling within the squad that there is a need for a powerful centre-forward, capable of dealing with the physical challenge of defenders and holding on to the ball to bring others into the game.
    "

I thought this was an interesting revelation :-)
  • what I said in the other thread:

load of tosh. so player x, y and z walked in to see KM or RD recently to complain about BP and now player x,y and z or maybe a, b and c have now barged in to say 'we don't want Luzon'. If they just got on with playing football instead of bitching and moaning then maybe we'd have more than 1 win in 14 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:

"There is also a feeling within the squad that there is a need for a powerful centre-forward, capable of dealing with the physical challenge of defenders and holding on to the ball to bring others into the game.
    "

stating the bleedin' obvious
  • edited January 2015

Kap10 said:

"There is also a feeling within the squad that there is a need for a powerful centre-forward, capable of dealing with the physical challenge of defenders and holding on to the ball to bring others into the game.
    "

stating the bleedin' obvious
    Hence the smiley!!!!

• Any managerial appointment could cause some players concern. Here it is said to be due to lack of experience. Elsewhere it could be due to previous interactions between the player and the new manager, reputation or playing style, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Standard had been contacted by a player or their representative (although equally I would not be surprised if there had been no contact), there could be various reasons for doing so.

Wouldn't worry greatly at this stage.

• Any managerial appointment could cause some players concern. Here it is said to be due to lack of experience. Elsewhere it could be due to previous interactions between the player and the new manager, reputation or playing style, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Standard had been contacted by a player or their representative (although equally I would not be surprised if there had been no contact), there could be various reasons for doing so.

All of the above for our lot.
  • I am now very interested in who he brings into the coaching team. Riga? Mathew?

Would this change perceptions?
  • edited January 2015
    Kap10 said:

colin1961 said:

Who is paying the bill?

As an aside, my SL fan contact has said that Luzon and Buyens dislike each other and he would expect Buyens to return to SL as soon as he could!
    Would that be much of a loss? Buyens has 8 yellow cards already (in only 23 games), so another suspension is inevitable.
  • edited January 2015

Any managerial appointment could cause some players concern. Here it is said to be due to lack of experience. Elsewhere it could be due to previous interactions between the player and the new manager, reputation or playing style, etc.

All of the above for our lot.

Perhaps, but there is a big gap between concern and an actual problem.
  • Peter_G said:

Kap10 said:

colin1961 said:

Who is paying the bill?

Would that be much of a loss? Buyens has 8 yellow cards already (in only 23 games), so another suspension is inevitable.
    Buyens is a tidy player, people like to pick him apart. He isn't spectacular, but he can keep the ball ticking and slots in to defence as full backs or super strikey Bikey push up.

Above everything else, he is one of realistically 3 centre mids I would ever like to see near the first team. For that reason alone, he would be a loss to the squad
  • edited January 2015
    Redrobo said:

I am now very interested in who he brings into the coaching team. Riga? Mathew?

Mick Goss (no idea) is his assistant I think. I did also see a rumour that Karel Fraeye could make a return to the coaching staff as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    lazy journalism
  • Redrobo said:

Mike Goss (no idea) is his assistant I think. I did also see a rumour that Karel Fraeye could make a return to the coaching staff as well.
    Yeah, Mick Goss was in the film helping Luzon getting his bags out of his car in the Valley car park.

So Mick Goss might well be the new assistant.
  • who is Mick Goss ?
  • who is Mick Goss ?

He's a really nice bloke, not Belgium but a safe pair of hands, reliable and trustworthy.

That's why he's one of the security staff at the Valley : - )
  • Think he was the one that played the drums.
  • Redrobo said:

Mike Goss (no idea) is his assistant I think. I did also see a rumour that Karel Fraeye could make a return to the coaching staff as well.
    Ding-dong!

The bells!

Got the Goss thing wrong then! Saw it on Twitter, obviously a joke I missed!
  • They haven't spoken to a single player.

for There is also a feeling within the squad... you might as well read There is also a feeling on Charlton Life...