Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

" I don't think you will find a Standard fan who can make you feel happy about Guy Luzon"

Comments

• DdC: You can see Buyens in the Anderlecht video, you should know this was one his very rare appearances during that season in the squad. Week after week analysts repeated that Luzons solution for his midfield position was on his own bench. But Luzon refused to put him on the field. Again, that's not understandable

I have to declare an interest, I met Douglas at the Valley, at the aborted Doncaster game...... and of course I am a member of the trust board, but I feel that Douglas is very knowledgeable about RD, and I think this is a perspective/view that should be considered.
    He does know about Standard, Luzon and RD as Prague mentions. I will let others judge by his comments, but his previous stories have been excellent. I see nothing wrong in him offering an opinion...... this is a football forum after all.
  • I hate Roland. I already hate Luzon. I'm beginning to even hate Katrien.

Charlton Athletic Football Club is not itself anymore.

If katrien wasn't pleasant on the eye I'd hate her too

I have no interest in what she looks like, so I'll hate her too.

• Maybe Douglas de Coninck is SL's version of reamsofverse

He's a legit football journalist I think
  • Can we start at least another 5 threads all slagging off Luzon. The six we have already are certainly not enough.

No offence @ShootersHillGuru‌ but weren't you taking exactly the same stance when people raised concerns and grumbles when Peeters was appointed?

Six months on and that never worked.

People may just be moaning and slagging off in your eyes, but by the main these are people who have put a lifetime of emotional and financial input into into our club and don't really like the direction it is now taking.

The last phase failed because of the structure and personnel. All that is happening here is one European tracksuit wearer being swapped for another.

What is realistically going to change, other than a hopeful short term rise given from players reacting to a coach they didn't like now out the building?

The structure doesn't change, the.governance doesn't change, and the recruitment policy doesn't change.
  • With the caveat that this is based on one fan's perspective....

AFKA's article at the top discusses the importance of RD not making any errors in his appointment. Well it seems he's not taking any chances. He's getting in someone who he knows he will have complete control over and will face little resistance from. ("You're not having any more players", "OK boss". "We're selling xxx", "Ok boss"). As a result of this loyalty RD is loathe to remove him from his post, in spite of his faltering, until there are riots!

As I believed when Powell went, perhaps this will enable the club to move forward with a more cohesive strategy from board level down. However that is based on the assumption that the strategy is a solid one, and I'm getting more and more wary that it isn't. Particularly when it appears to be based on a chairman and a coach who have next to no experience/knowledge of what is required to be successful on the pitch in this division.
  • se9addick said:

Maybe Douglas de Coninck is SL's version of reamsofverse

He's a legit football journalist I think
    Damn
  • Won't be too many Charlton fans with a good word to say about pardew either.

In fact I don't know one.

Good point. There's always one keyboard warrior.
    Are you serious? He's a news journalist on a respected national newspaper. His job is to be enquiring, stay objective, check sources and deliver the facts.

He would not claim to be a professional footballer, so I'm sure he wouldn't claim to be any more expert than you on the pros and cons of zonal marking.

He has, however, met and interviewed Roland Duchatelet. Twice. And not on the subject of football.

• edited January 2015
    tricky said:

With the caveat that this is based on one fan's perspective....

AFKA's article at the top discusses the importance of RD not making any errors in his appointment. Well it seems he's not taking any chances. He's getting in someone who he knows he will have complete control over and will face little resistance from. ("You're not having any more players", "OK boss". "We're selling xxx", "Ok boss"). As a result of this loyalty RD is loathe to remove him from his post, in spite of his faltering, until there are riots!

As I believed when Powell went, perhaps this will enable the club to move forward with a more cohesive strategy from board level down. However that is based on the assumption that the strategy is a solid one, and I'm getting more and more wary that it isn't. Particularly when it appears to be based on a chairman and a coach who have next to no experience/knowledge of what is required to be successful on the pitch in this division.

So in summary, even Peeters wasn't enough of a puppet for Roland, so by bringing in Luzon, the crazy network strategy might work much better?
  • Sponsored links:

Good point. There's always one keyboard warrior.
    Are you serious? He's a news journalist on a respected national newspaper. His job is to be enquiring, stay objective, check sources and deliver the facts.

He would not claim to be a professional footballer, so I'm sure he wouldn't claim to be any more expert than you on the pros and cons of zonal marking.

He has, however, met and interviewed Roland Duchatelet. Twice. And not on the subject of football.

Good. Sadly the same cannot be said of reams.
  • Can we start at least another 5 threads all slagging off Luzon. The six we have already are certainly not enough.

No offence @ShootersHillGuru‌ but weren't you taking exactly the same stance when people raised concerns and grumbles when Peeters was appointed?

People may just be moaning and slagging off in your eyes, but by the main these are people who have put a lifetime of emotional and financial input into into our club and don't really like the direction it is now taking.

The last phase failed because of the structure and personnel. All that is happening here is one European tracksuit wearer being swapped for another.

What is realistically going to change, other than a hopeful short term rise given from players reacting to a coach they didn't like now out the building?

The structure doesn't change, the.governance doesn't change, and the recruitment policy doesn't change.
    We'll all be singing a different song if the results change though won't we. I just personally think that most of this reaction is frankly embarrassing. None of us including me have any idea how this will turn out yet the blood letting has started. Read back at the Chris Powell sacking and the following appointment of the "no mark" Riga. FFs lets just wait and see but no. Some people just love a good old deary me moan session.

If Luzon is shite and he might well be then I will jump on the bandwagon too but until I am convinced he's shite he gets my backing.

Been going 54 years so I've got a bit of investment myself.

• I think the interview on the Trust site is a welcome addition to our thirst for information, and certainly deserves it's own thread here. It is not the view of a complete nonentity, and I wouldn't gainsay the blokes knowledge because he is over there, I'm not.
    Mind you reading that does not fill me with hope for Charlton Athletic.
  • edited January 2015
    What a truly horrible read that was. Any ounce of optimism I had about this guy has now been crippled. Although I would say reading that I think RD comes off worse then Luzon. Both sound like absolute tools. Cheers for the article though it is as reliable insight into Luzon as we are going to get before we make our own mind up after being trashed by Watford. Was debating whether to have a few pints tonight but that article has made my mind up for me, if I stay in any longer I'm going to end up chucking my cat out the window (again, only just recovered after the Delort saga).

ed: still going to give him a chance though.
  • tricky said:

With the caveat that this is based on one fan's perspective....

So in summary, even Peeters wasn't enough of a puppet for Roland, so by bringing in Luzon, the crazy network strategy might work much better?
    It means RD has even greater opportunity to do what he wants - He's now got someone who has been involved in the network before, knows he is loyal and that he won't complain when the best assets are sold/a load of players are shipped over from elsewhere. If RD thinks that his strategy will work then Luzon is surely the best option to make it happen because it's the path of least resistance.

Trouble is, the strategy is inherently flawed in my opinion and it's more likely to lead to disaster than glory. I had hoped that this would be a chance for RD to show he's softening in his network approach. Unfortunately this appointment would suggest he's just as stubborn about it as he ever has been.

• people should make up their own mind on the article.

My experience of Douglas includes him telling me at the Oxford match last year that Adjaravic wouldn't cope with the energy or pace of the Championship. :)
  • Regardless of my view that the new coach should get given a fair crack I will say that that read was very demoralising.
  • Regardless of my view that the new coach should get given a fair crack I will say that that read was very demoralising.

indeed.

We'll all be singing a different song if the results change though won't we. I just personally think that most of this reaction is frankly embarrassing. None of us including me have any idea how this will turn out yet the blood letting has started. Read back at the Chris Powell sacking and the following appointment of the "no mark" Riga. FFs lets just wait and see but no. Some people just love a good old deary me moan session.

If Luzon is shite and he might well be then I will jump on the bandwagon too but until I am convinced he's shite he gets my backing.

You're arguing for fairness and the need to give people a chance. You are right that too often we footie fans don't do that, whether its a manager or a player. That's a view that has to be respected.

The most worrying thing for me about this is that it provides compelling evidence for those that have argued that it was always only ever going to be Luzon; and therefore that RD remains very obstinate that he knows what it takes to be a successful football manager/coach despite admitting not even to like the game. I had hoped that as a clearly intelligent and successful businessman, he would have rapidly learnt lessons and started to recruit and delegate to people who clearly have more specific expertise than him on the playing side. He surely did that in his main businesses. You cannot micro-manage businesses of that size. But it looks like my hopes were vain. I find that depressing because I'd found some of his ideas genuinely interesting and wanted them to succeed.
  • Sponsored links:

You're arguing for fairness and the need to give people a chance. You are right that too often we footie fans don't do that, whether its a manager or a player. That's a view that has to be respected.

The most worrying thing for me about this is that it provides compelling evidence for those that have argued that it was always only ever going to be Luzon; and therefore that RD remains very obstinate that he knows what it takes to be a successful football manager/coach despite admitting not even to like the game. I had hoped that as a clearly intelligent and successful businessman, he would have rapidly learnt lessons and started to recruit and delegate to people who clearly have more specific expertise than him on the playing side. He surely did that in his main businesses. You cannot micro-manage businesses of that size. But it looks like my hopes were vain. I find that depressing because I'd found some of his ideas genuinely interesting and wanted them to succeed.
    I think that's a good well reasoned post and I too am concerned but not yet enough to tear up my season ticket or decide never to go again. That time may come but I doubt it. CAFC have been in bigger shit than the appointment of Guy Luzon. That's a fact.

Unfair.

It is the view of someone in Belgium.

We can agree or not agree but it is useful for the debate.
    Could have been added to the debate on one of the other threads discussing Luzon ?

That's the Trust for you, trying to get their hit rate up : - )
    yeah, they should sack the Manager more often it does wonders for the hit count..

;)
  • What a truly horrible read that was. Any ounce of optimism I had about this guy has now been crippled. Although I would say reading that I think RD comes off worse then Luzon. Both sound like absolute tools. Cheers for the article though it is as reliable insight into Luzon as we are going to get before we make our own mind up after being trashed by Watford. Was debating whether to have a few pints tonight but that article has made my mind up for me, if I stay in any longer I'm going to end up chucking my cat out the window (again, only just recovered after the Delort saga).

Who ?? The cat , Roland the Rat or the Guy who likes TWatt

I think that's a good well reasoned post and I too am concerned but not yet enough to tear up my season ticket or decide never to go again. That time may come but I doubt it. CAFC have been in bigger shit than the appointment of Guy Luzon. That's a fact.

For me, you're both right :smile:
  • Missed It said:

So basically, our club has been bought by Monty Burns and he's about to appoint Homer Simpson as the manager...

Sad face LOL
  • What a truly horrible read that was. Any ounce of optimism I had about this guy has now been crippled. Although I would say reading that I think RD comes off worse then Luzon. Both sound like absolute tools. Cheers for the article though it is as reliable insight into Luzon as we are going to get before we make our own mind up after being trashed by Watford. Was debating whether to have a few pints tonight but that article has made my mind up for me, if I stay in any longer I'm going to end up chucking my cat out the window (again, only just recovered after the Delort saga).

Who ?? The cat , Roland the Rat or the Guy who likes TWatt

The cat in the hope he finds the rat and eats it
  • Then add to this Ajdarevic's comments on Luzon - whom he says destroyed his confidence and had no respect for him, so he had no respect in return. I've not got high hopes of Luzon getting the best out of our lot in that case...

In turn I agree with that, and I also still tend to say to those who slag off RD, "who out there was better?" and indeed who out there might be better, when you look at all the people running clubs. But people will inevitably criticise and I think that the more informed the criticism, the better.
  • That came across as a decent article. He seems to suggest that Bob is an impact manager, which is pretty much how it turned out.
  • May explain 1 year deal