Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New VOTV article on Bob Peeters' dismissal

Comments

• Interesting but perhaps it would have been better to wait until the announcement of a new manager/coach before publication ?
  • How long have you been sitting on that one AB?? :wink:
  • Reckon most of it was penned around the time RD had his replacement in place and ready
  • Good article AB
  • Interesting read.
  • Bloody hell that was quick
  • Good well balanced article. I hope that the new head coach gets agreement / negotiates to bring in a couple of players as part of agreeing to take on the role.
  • Good stuff AB
    Where does this leave KM ?
    Her comments do look rather out of step with recent events of the past 24 hours.
    Perhaps she should send her 'copy' to you in future?......
    Love the comments about the train.........
  • KM is simply Rolly pollys puppet she has no real experience and should not be in charge of our great club.
  • Sponsored links:

• KM is simply Rolly pollys puppet she has no real experience and should not be in charge of our great club.

Excuse me. but she is about the only thing about our club at the moment that makes me smile.

• Good article, can only imagine Bob lost the dressing room with some bizarre footballing decisions.
  • Be interesting to see what comes out in the coming days from players and staff about the atmosphere in the dressing room and Sparrows Lane. Wouldn't surprise me that senior players went to Katrien or Roland and complained.
  • edited January 2015

Rothko said:

Be interesting to see what comes out in the coming days from players and staff about the atmosphere in the dressing room and Sparrows Lane. Wouldn't surprise me that senior players went to Katrien or Roland and complained.

Doesn't reflect well on RD either way though, does it? He went out of his way to appoint Bob. If sacking him after six months is the right decision then appointing him in the first place was the wrong one. It's not as if there was an obvious case for Peeters over Riga (or anyone else) at the outset and there was hardly a proper process, just as there is unlikely to be now.
    Seems a little unfair there - unless he was somehow supposed to know that Bob would manage to alienate senior players a few months down the line. The closest to an 'obvious case' for Peeters was his proven (previously) ability to get teams to fight for each other and early on we saw that, it's gone wrong in the last month or so but the rumours of bust ups are very recent. And we don't know there WASN'T proper process - RD/KM/whoever could well have been looking for candidates since/before Powell went but Riga happened to be available right then so got it short term.

It may well be it WAS the wrong appointment, but no-one was saying that in September, or at least no-one who hadn't already got an anti-RD axe to grind anyway.
  • I really agree with your VOTV article, Rick. The main problem now is with the owner and his unrealistic business model. The problem for us is that although he has spent a lot of money in most people's terms, for him it is mainly hobby money. He may decide to test his business plan to the limit,by which time the club will be wrecked.
    Even under the previous owners we still felt that with Powell at the helm there was somebody there who cared about the club as a football club, not just a business. Now there appears to be nobody playing that role.
  • Wouldn't be surprised BP had a bit of a row with RD 'cause of the lack of proper players coming in.
  • skywalker said:

Wouldn't be surprised BP had a bit of a row with RD 'cause of the lack of proper players coming in.

Good for him if he did. That's surely what he should be doing.
  • I hate it too, don't get me wrong. I am merely saying that but for the vagaries of chance and some easy chances spurned, Bob's record would be much better, and that it is unfair to criticise Duchatalet for Peeters' apparent losing of the dressing room - when we have had plenty of people who DID know about him before describing his reputation for successfully bringing teams together not driving them apart.

As for the process being Belgian only, well it seems a less safe assumption to me than to you until we do see another network/Belgian stooge installed which lest we forget has not happened yet. I wouldn't take a procession of non-entities seriously - but thus far we've seen Riga, a far cannier and better manager than previously credited, and Peeters, who in his home league was seen as very promising. Non-entities in the UK perhaps but that is because outside of the Champions League/UEFA most people know fuck all about European football, nor do they care, myself included.

I have said before, Powell went, performances turned around, we stayed up - Roland made that call correctly, Powell MAY have kept us up, Riga actually did. So whilst RD may not have the passion for and emotional connection to football of we fans he is not a stupid man and if the new manager - Luzon, Freye, A.N. Other - comes in, gets a few players in and gets the team looking up to the play-offs come season's end then frankly getting rid of Bob would be the right call - but until such times I am not going to castigate nor commend him until I see what happens next.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:

Rothko said:

Be interesting to see what comes out in the coming days from players and staff about the atmosphere in the dressing room and Sparrows Lane. Wouldn't surprise me that senior players went to Katrien or Roland and complained.

Doesn't reflect well on RD either way though, does it? He went out of his way to appoint Bob. If sacking him after six months is the right decision then appointing him in the first place was the wrong one. It's not as if there was an obvious case for Peeters over Riga (or anyone else) at the outset and there was hardly a proper process, just as there is unlikely to be now.
    Seems a little unfair there - unless he was somehow supposed to know that Bob would manage to alienate senior players a few months down the line. The closest to an 'obvious case' for Peeters was his proven (previously) ability to get teams to fight for each other and early on we saw that, it's gone wrong in the last month or so but the rumours of bust ups are very recent. And we don't know there WASN'T proper process - RD/KM/whoever could well have been looking for candidates since/before Powell went but Riga happened to be available right then so got it short term.

It may well be it WAS the wrong appointment, but no-one was saying that in September, or at least no-one who hadn't already got an anti-RD axe to grind anyway.
    With respect I think you miss the point Airman was making there. In any business, hiring is difficult. There is no formula for or guarantee of success. However in well run businesses, the person doing the hiring takes a measure of responsibility for the result, good or bad.

One of the key things said about Peeters was that he had a good reputation working with young players. That would certainly appeal to RD. But has it turned out to be true? How far did RD go in ascertaining that this reputation was robust? Who assisted RD in the selection of Peeters? They are responsible too.

That is the kind of inquest any good business would have. The purpose is not to crucify those who made the decision, but to learn for the future not to make the same mistakes again.
  • Stories of dressing room unrest and fights at the training ground make you think.this could well be more beneficial than from what any of us know or feel,
  • edited January 2015
    Southbank said:

I really agree with your VOTV article, Rick. The main problem now is with the owner and his unrealistic business model. The problem for us is that although he has spent a lot of money in most people's terms, for him it is mainly hobby money. He may decide to test his business plan to the limit,by which time the club will be wrecked.
    Even under the previous owners we still felt that with Powell at the helm there was somebody there who cared about the club as a football club, not just a business. Now there appears to be nobody playing that role.

As with Varney and Kavanagh on the business side, until mid-2012, whereas we now have Katrien who is very pleasant but inexperienced and utterly beholden to RD. It is the same problem on both sides of the club. I said as soon as I saw it that KM's programme article on Saturday was very ill-advised in the context of the results, although I appreciate it was intended to mollify supporters rather than the owner!

Someone who has worked matchdays at the club for many years came out to see me before the game and pointed the article out, saying it summed up the problem as it was wholly complacent and completely lacking in understanding of how fans feel. They find no buzz of excitement when they come to work on matchdays now because there are not enough people left who care.
  • I agree that Riga or Luzon are the most likely successors. I suspect Fraeye may reappear as part of the set up but putting him in charge doesn't look rational given his pedigree is weaker than Peeters. But he does know half the squad from last season.

In the interest of balance VOTV might mention the quality players secured over the summer and that our first XI is clearly of mid table calibre. Of particular interest is the fact that three of our new additions played under Luzon last season in a fairly successful Standard Liege side. One that was eventually knocked out of the Champions League by Zenit St Petersburg. Yes, Buyens, Ben Haim and Bulot made around 90 appearances between them playing for Luzon in a winning team.

It is academic now but we clearly differ on youth and utilising the squad. Solly is known to be the second best left back at the club and should have played there with Fox struggling and Gomez looking so strong on the right.

If one doesn't trust them then there is no point in having academy players on the books. A compromise might be that long term injuries should be covered by loans if the reserve is struggling? And that the number nine shirt should have been filled by now. Then again Watt showed up and was only given 45 minutes in what proved to be Peeters last game.

On another point in the article, I see absolutely no parallel whatsoever with 2006-07. Then we spent millions on fees and contracts on players who were not good enough to keep us up. And our situation deteriorated after every change... And then got even worse over the following 18 months with Pardew. I would suggest that was because there wasn't a strategy and the board took way too long to sack a losing manager.

Whereas these last 10 months we've seen a complete change in the squad securing better players and a progressive improvement in league position from 24th in February to 18th in May and now 14th. Each coach leaves with the club in a higher position than when he joined! Sure that looks like a good news story but those are the simple facts. It kinda nails the lie that My.Duchatelet doesn't know what he's doing!

Thing is when I get more sense from certain Charlton Life posters analysing games than I do out of the post match press conference then I think it's time for a change. No sentiment for sure but we've had eight years outside the FAPL and that's too long.

Right now we could have anything between a top half finish and a relegation fight but replacing Peeters looks like an improvement to me, especially with players like Henderson and Bulot coming back. And three weeks of the window to go.

Whether it was falling out, selection or tactics, the team of August/September didn't show up on Saturday. Peeters has what, one win in 13? So M.Duchatelet took out the coach. People whinge about "inadequate squads" etc. but nine of the XI starting on Saturday, started the first six games of the season. Yes our team went 10-12 games unbeaten but they were a shadow of themselves recently.

So let's see how we perform in the next couple of games with a first choice first XI bar Henderson, before we look to condemn with anti Duchatelet rhetoric. After only a couple of games we will all be better informed enough to pass judgement on this latest change.

To criticise the appointment of Riga prematurely was unfortunate. To repeat the mistake this time around would be sheer carelessness!
  • Have we all forgot Mr Murray was responsible (correct me if im wrong) for Dowie, Reed, then Pardew no difference really from Rolands track record so far. Curbishley could have been a dud thankfully not so he got one right out of four. Luzon could be good we just dont know. 1/2 the problem for me is Roland has not given us the balanced squad you need for championship football and if he has any sense at all he should address that this month, otherwise i dont think it would matter who is coach.
  • @seriously_red‌

You claimed a few months back that our operating loss should have fallen to around £2m. As we now know, it didn't fall at all.

This appears to be a clear failure by the CEO to meet her KPI - at least the one you've assigned to her. She's had twice as long as Peeters. Why isn't RD being "clinical, precise, decisive," in "taking her out"?
  • edited January 2015

To criticise the appointment of Riga prematurely was unfortunate. To repeat the mistake this time around would be sheer carelessness!

The reason so many supporters, me included, were unhappy last March was Duchatelet's interference in team selection, which culminated in Powell's dismissal. I don't recall criticising Riga at the time or expressing any particular view about him, but am happy to be shown evidence to the contrary.

In the end, owners make bad decisions about players and managers and fans have to accept that, however emotionally attached they may be to the individuals and whatever their judgement of the merits. However, the owner can never, ever be allowed to pick the team, particularly if he's a Belgian businessman who does not attend matches. It's taking the piss out of the people who pay good money and give up their time to support the club.

The fact that Riga came in and what he did has no bearing on that and never did have. Neither does what happens next bear on the fact that more, serious mistakes have been made since, although these do lead me to have no confidence whatsoever in the owner or his judgement, whatever his intentions. Who knows what the dialogue has been around the hapless Tucudean, for example?
  • "Despite all the counter-claims, it's clear he was interfering with team selection last spring, which is indefensible. Those who wish to support him have to deny it happened because no sensible person could believe it was a good idea."

A good article from a particular perspective, but my perception is he interfered with the player pool, which is slightly less alarming than team selection. He got it wrong, but it doesn't mean it was guaranteed to be wrong, we could have got lucky and there is more luck involved in getting football success than proven science. If Watt proves a success, does that mean RD's system is perfect - no, but it would show it can work by giving access to resources that would not otherwise have been available.

I don't "wish" to support him, but in the absence of any sign he is out to destroy the club, and given he is better than the previous management, I do not feel it necessary to damn him outright, given the other actions he has taken which demonstrate a positive attitude to the club's long term survival. So just a slightly more pragmatic perspective.

Like you, I hope the new manager appointment works out, but due diligence doesn't guarantee the right manager is appointed, you get a choice from what's available. I am sure RD thought Bob was a safe pair of hands and went for someone least likely to fail, Riga would have been more adventurous and introduce more risk perhaps. If RD now sees he made a wrong assessment then he is right to make a change. It doesn't correct anything but hopefully gives a better chance of stopping the rot, which I believe is largely attributable to BP's one dimensional inflexible philosophy.

Let's criticise, and a good article for that, but let's not throw out babies and bath waters. Would it be better to lose Richard Duchalet at this stage than Bob Peeters, I don't believe so.
  • What may be apparent here is that running/owning a football club is sometimes a very difficult job, and maybe the Network approach doesn't fit all. Watford have had it for sometime and haven't been promoted, mind you I think its the son who runs and it lives there so I expect he sees all the games first hand week in week out.