Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Biggest game of our season?

2»

Comments

• It's not as big as the first game of the season when it's important to get off to a good start. It's not as big as getting our first win against Wigan. Or the second one against Derby. Its not as big as that away win at Norwich. It's not as big as the two games against Millwall, because they are local rivals. It's not as big as the games over Christmas and Easter, because they are important milestones. It's not as big as whatever game finally produces the points that seal our position in the league (or not). If it were to happen, it wouldn't be as big as the game that sealed our place in the play-offs. Of course, if we did make the play-offs, they would all be bigger matches than this one. Regardless of whether that happens or not, this game is not as big as the last game of the season where it is important to finish on a high. But yes, other than those it's our biggest match of the season - probably.
  • Stig said:

It's not as big as the first game of the season when it's important to get off to a good start. It's not as big as getting our first win against Wigan. Or the second one against Derby. Its not as big as that away win at Norwich. It's not as big as the two games against Millwall, because they are local rivals. It's not as big as the games over Christmas and Easter, because they are important milestones. It's not as big as whatever game finally produces the points that seal our position in the league (or not). If it were to happen, it wouldn't be as big as the game that sealed our place in the play-offs. Of course, if we did make the play-offs, they would all be bigger matches than this one. Regardless of whether that happens or not, this game is not as big as the last game of the season where it is important to finish on a high. But yes, other than those it's our biggest match of the season - probably.

I tend to disagree:
    Its bigger than Brentford away because we had low expectations and a new squad so time to bed in...
    Those wins at the start were a different phase where we dared to dream our unbeaten run and residency in the top six might be prolonged.
    Millwall (and Palace) games are different, as is the cup.
    No, this is Tony Watt's debut, the first game of 2015 - our second year with Staprix.
    And a chance to end our winless run and wave goodbye to any chance of sinking into the bottom six.
    And perhaps recreate a thin chance of a play-off challenge...
    In short January is a chance to reestablish ourselves in the top half...
    And ensure the betting slip in my wallet is once again worth £500 :)

• Not the biggest game of the season...reckon it will be the biggest crowd so far though.
  • All fair points @seriously_red‌
  • Are we likely to see any more squad additions before the weekend?
  • edited January 2015
    Stig said:

It's not as big as the first game of the season when it's important to get off to a good start. It's not as big as getting our first win against Wigan. Or the second one against Derby. Its not as big as that away win at Norwich. It's not as big as the two games against Millwall, because they are local rivals. It's not as big as the games over Christmas and Easter, because they are important milestones. It's not as big as whatever game finally produces the points that seal our position in the league (or not). If it were to happen, it wouldn't be as big as the game that sealed our place in the play-offs. Of course, if we did make the play-offs, they would all be bigger matches than this one. Regardless of whether that happens or not, this game is not as big as the last game of the season where it is important to finish on a high. But yes, other than those it's our biggest match of the season - probably.

Going into this game is a lot bigger than going into the games v Bretnford, Wigan, Derby, Norwich purely based on circumstances imo. As for what you're saying on easter/final game/play offs, well you can't compare this game and those few because they haven't been played yet and can't influence our season. For me, this is, by quite a distance, the biggest so far.
  • Are we likely to see any more squad additions before the weekend?

I doubt it and latest quotes suggest we might not see any more this month? @SE9 ADDICK‌ posted something earlier.
  • For me its not a "must win" yet. Not for Charlton. It may be for BP giving the mounting pressure. Still a long way to go.
  • Rotherham away
  • Sponsored links:

• What hatrick?

There, fixed it for you.

;o)

• This Saturday, it really is.

Just watching SSN and depressing not seeing us in the top half of the table, but in the same way I am looking at 6th place Brentford on 40 points and a win for us and we are still in touching distance.

Given this weeks events, speculation about Bobs future, rumours of dressing room unrest and new signings, I haven't felt this way about a game all season, because of our good start we had a bit of a safety net that now has really been cut lose. I really do feel it's make or break and I know a lot can change in a few games but given it's Brighton, a struggling side, if we don't get a win I can't see anything especially positive happening this season - it is a MUST win.

Am I overthinking the importance of this game?

and people laugh at those clowns on arsenal and man utd fan tv...
    There's no similarity really is there? Given our start to the season and the fact there has been no time I can think of at the start of the season where we have been in the bottom half, i very much enjoyed seeing my club in the top half of the table. Or do you prefer seeing us 8 points off the drop?

Excuse me for having one ounce of ambition.
    I know you meant it sarcastically, but I don't forgive you. This alleged ambition i'm reading a lot about here is, to me, a smokescreen behind which fans hide in order to whinge and moan, and ignore the bigger picture; we are an upper-Championship club slowly heading in the right direction year-on-year. It's not ambition, it's a lack of patience. How many times did Curbs find himself down here before we got back up again? Put this much effort into being positive. It's harder, but ultimately more rewarding.