Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Biggest game of our season?

This Saturday, for me, it really is.

Just watching SSN and slightly depressing not seeing us in the top half of the table, but in the same way I am looking at 6th place Brentford on 40 points and a win for us and we are still in touching distance.

Given this weeks events, speculation about Bobs future, rumours of dressing room unrest and new signings, I haven't felt this way about a game all season, because of our good start we had a bit of a safety net that now has really been cut lose. I really do feel it's make or break and I know a lot can change in a few games but given it's Brighton, a struggling side, if we don't get a win I can't see anything especially positive happening this season - it is a MUST win.

Am I overthinking the importance of this game?

Comments

• edited January 2015
    If this is a "MUST win game" - what are the consequences of not winning ?
  • se9addick said:

This Saturday, it really is.

Just watching SSN and depressing not seeing us in the top half of the table, but in the same way I am looking at 6th place Brentford on 40 points and a win for us and we are still in touching distance.

Given this weeks events, speculation about Bobs future, rumours of dressing room unrest and new signings, I haven't felt this way about a game all season, because of our good start we had a bit of a safety net that now has really been cut lose. I really do feel it's make or break and I know a lot can change in a few games but given it's Brighton, a struggling side, if we don't get a win I can't see anything especially positive happening this season - it is a MUST win.

If this is a "MUST win game" - what are the consequences of not winning ?
    We could well find ourselves 16th, no win in 12, the fact our team can't beat a team at home who have been struggling all season. I would say not winning especially a lost on Saturday will heap a lot more pressure on the players and manager, which could result in a further nose dive down the table.

So I am saying, this is by far our biggest game of the season so far and I'm relishing it but also not had these nerves this long before a game since last season.
  • A "MUST" win game no doubt. I'll be listening for the cheers from the Valley as I watch the Club take on the Old Albanians...
  • This Saturday, it really is.

Just watching SSN and depressing not seeing us in the top half of the table, but in the same way I am looking at 6th place Brentford on 40 points and a win for us and we are still in touching distance.

and people laugh at those clowns on arsenal and man utd fan tv...
  • This Saturday, it really is.

and people laugh at those clowns on arsenal and man utd fan tv...
    There's no similarity really is there? Given our start to the season and the fact there has been no time I can think of at the start of the season where we have been in the bottom half, i very much enjoyed seeing my club in the top half of the table. Or do you prefer seeing us 8 points off the drop?

Excuse me for having one ounce of ambition.
  • RedPanda said:

We could lose Saturday and then win at Watford. It's not a 'must win' game, it's an over-used term.

You're right that could happen. I really can't see it... But it could.
  • RedPanda said:

We could lose Saturday and then win at Watford. It's not a 'must win' game, it's an over-used term.

That's kind of what I was getting at - surely "must win" is one game from relegation/promotion/playoffs type of thing ?
  • Hard to see how a club that's sitting 13th in the table could ever have a "must win" game.

Whilst I commend you for having "one ounce of ambition", I'm afraid events on and off the pitch have made it abundantly clear that the club is unable/unwilling to match your lofty aspirations, for this season at least.
  • Whilst I see your point @MrLargo that obviously it isn't a must win in the sense, if we don't, the club are going to go down, lose the rest of our games etc, I do feel it is a must win in the sense that it could spell the end of Bobs time here if we lose, which is not what I want may I add or what I think will happen, but it could. It would also kill off any hopes of play off's for me which i am(very, very optmistically) still clinging to, while it could also more realistically see us getting closer to getting dragged into a relegation battle.

Fair enough, it is not a must win in that sense, but it is still a game I feel we do have to win.

So my other question, is it the biggest game of our season so far? for me the answer is yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• we will lose Saturday, new manager at Brighton, deffo away win
  • edited January 2015
    MrLargo said:

Hard to see how a club that's sitting 13th in the table could ever have a "must win" game.

Whilst I commend you for having "one ounce of ambition", I'm afraid events on and off the pitch have made it abundantly clear that the club is unable/unwilling to match your lofty aspirations, for this season at least.

Have are heart MrLargo, I think the "MUST WIN" label was more directed towards just cheering us bloody fans up!

;0)
  • MrLargo said:

Hard to see how a club that's sitting 13th in the table could ever have a "must win" game.

Have are heart MrLargo, I think the "MUST WIN" label was more directed towards just cheering us bloody fans up!

;0)
    Yeah sorry, wasn't having a pop at @NomadicAddick, just taking advantage of a further opportunity to register my grumpiness. And to be fair, if we don't win this Saturday then we're probably only another 2 or 3 games away from the point where even sarky twats like me are talking about "must win games".
  • As a very famous old Manager Bill Shankly would say, ' it's not a must win, it's much more important than that '.
  • It's certainly Bob Peeter's biggest game of the season so far!

I fear it may be his last if we don't win.

So you could say.... It's a...'must win' :)

So you could say.... It's a...'must win' :)
    For him it's a must win - Charlton continue if he goes !

I was being a bit pedantic with you earlier, I agree with you - it is a big game because I actually think he will get sacked if we lose. If we do lose then the level of performance, team he picks etc will probably influence whether or not I think that's the correct decision - right now I'm just about in favour of keeping him, but that favour is fast running out.
  • se9addick said:

RedPanda said:

That's kind of what I was getting at - surely "must win" is one game from relegation/promotion/playoffs type of thing ?
    Take a look at sportsclubstats.com
    They have Blackpool as 98% certainties for relegation with Wigan and Millwall on 40%

Rotherham and Brighton are on about 20% whereas ourselves, Cardiff and Forest are on 1%

For the last two seasons we've spent most of the time with a 20-25% chance of going down so we know what that's like. If we go back there then the pressure on Peeters now is nothing so I'd prefer we keep our distance from Brighton and Rotherham.

It's must win for that reason but we also want to see a performance from Watt and Vetokele so we can see a way to climb the table again...and that implies they will score.
  • Ludicrious to suggest Peeters job is on the line. He's doing well.

I think there is an air of optimism around this game because of the Tony Watt factor. I really hope we see him.
  • Ludicrious to suggest Peeters job is on the line. He's doing well.

I think there is an air of optimism around this game because of the Tony Watt factor. I really hope we see him.

I agree he has done well. He's not being doing well for a while now though and although it is ludicrous, it is happening. If we lose on Saturday believe me there will be a lot of people calling for his head and that's the sad truth of it. For the record I'm not one of them.

That's why for him it's must win. For the Charlton that want to push for promotion it's must win. For the Charlton that want to solidify their place in this division for another season, it isn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    Too early to say if it's the biggest game, they all are in their own rights. I don't think this game is what it appears though, it is not even close to being as winnable as Blackpool should have been so for me it's not a must win.

Not usually a pessimist but can see Brighton beating us. They've got loads of talent and are underachieving massively, Hughton is no clown and I expect to see them straight back up the table towards the end.
  • If Igor and Bikey had put their 'easy' chances away at the death of their respective games, we'd be level with Blackburn and still 'in it'. Bob wouldn't be under anywhere near as much criticism as he is.

fine margins boys...
  • Add George to the list nick
  • I will not repeat what I said on the Peters sacked thread, but this is a big game for all of us and we need as fans to give it our all on Saturday.

• Add George to the list nick

If George had put that chance away, not only would George be held in high esteem,
    But it would be SIR Robert Peeters for beating the spanners and none of this sacking talk.
  • The biggest game in the last while was away at Sheff Utd. Great opportunity to galvanise the fans, make us attractive to players and get our Owner on board.

Beyond that it was every game that Riga looked after.
  • How can we beat Brighton, we never beat the teams at the bottom of the league, come to think of it, we don't beat the teams in the top or middle very often either.
  • We'll go one up after 5 mins, spend the next 80 defending and then concede with a few mins to go. Same old !
  • jamescafc said:

We'll go one up after 5 mins, spend the next 80 defending and then concede with a few mins to go. Same old !

Party pooper !

• I always see every game as our biggest game of the season so far. But I don't think it was any bigger than it was before the Blackburn cup game because it was just that, a cup game. But don't get me wrong it is a big game on Saturday.