Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Apathy

I haven't been to The Valley since 21st October v Bolton, I have a ST but I'm not missing it & I'm currently not fussed if I go again - is it just me or does anyone else have this feeling? I find myself on here all the time still so I haven't lost the love, I just don't enjoy going to Football anymore!

Comments

• Your at the stage I was at 20 years ago!

Push on through that barrier NSU or join the CL matchday thread...
  • I know how you feel , now stop your moping and get your arse down to the Valley this weekend, we need you.
  • I know how you feel , now stop your moping and get your arse down to the Valley this weekend, we need you.

yeah we're playing Brighton.

Snigger.
  • Yes NSU I feel your pain and I felt huge waves of apathy at the full time whistle on Saturday.

Now having said that it's time to get a grip, live up to your name and add your voice to the covered end Choir this Saturday.

You know it makes sense
  • You need some football friends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Boom boom dan boom boom

In had this discussion last night with fatrob,who ain't fat no.more

We are so busy at work that I can't make games as that's the only time I get to really spend with my kids and unfortunately it's only my little girl who either wants to go or is of the age to go

I miss the piss up and the day but to me the football always got in the way of a quality day out it was what bought us together but match days were so much more than just football

When you bring little ones you lose the piss up anyway to a degree

Miss the football a bit but enjoy being with my kids more so that out weighs that sting

But I really do miss the piss up
  • 30 years ago there were several thousand who presumably felt the same...that's why we got crowds of 4,000 at The Valley.
  • I really can't be bothered to reply to this thread.
  • I haven't been to The Valley since 21st October v Bolton, I have a ST but I'm not missing it & I'm currently not fussed if I go again - is it just me or does anyone else have this feeling? I find myself on here all the time still so I haven't lost the love, I just don't enjoy going to Football anymore!

Feel similar. I'm still going but I get no enjoyment at all from it. Even earlier in the season when we started so well I just didn't care that much, it feels to me like our identity has been eroded under Duchatelet. Sad times.
  • That's why I get a season ticket - it makes me go to games. Without that I doubt I'd have gone much in the last few years.
  • I've had a season ticket for 5 years now, and I'm starting to get fed up with it too. I enjoy seeing mates and that, and still love the club but it's just not the same recently. I probably won't be renewing in the Summer and will attend odd games here and there.
  • I think its a really difficult subject to cover, and from an analytical point of view, trying to establish whether there are broard trends or just simply individual circumstances that influence is really hard.

Most people go through different stages in their lives, relationships, kids, work etc which can have a big influence on people bucking their previous habits. When it co-incides with the football not being particularly successful, then it can have a huge influence, more than so than on a cost influence.

There are literally hundreds of CAFC supporters i know presonally who have gone from being regulars 5-10 years ago to infrequent / never go supporters now. All reasons vary, and seeing as the general support numbers home and away have held up relatively well, then there appears to be a huge degree of churn in support these days which probably wasn't there many years ago. Young family syndrome and spending a bit more time with the missus and kids (whether through choice or through pressure from the missus!) seems to be one of the key things though.

We live largely dependent at Charlton on our Season Ticket model, probably more so than most other clubs, and we never seem to get the regular walk-up numbers that other similar sized clubs do. Once people get out the habit of getting their season ticket, then it is interesting how many at the point just completely walk away from it, or being very infrequent visitors.

• MrLargo said:

I haven't been to The Valley since 21st October v Bolton, I have a ST but I'm not missing it & I'm currently not fussed if I go again - is it just me or does anyone else have this feeling? I find myself on here all the time still so I haven't lost the love, I just don't enjoy going to Football anymore!

Feel similar. I'm still going but I get no enjoyment at all from it. Even earlier in the season when we started so well I just didn't care that much, it feels to me like our identity has been eroded under Duchatelet. Sad times.
    Like our pitch was literally eroding until RD showed up?

• I remember those bad old days under Saint Parky of Hoofball with the Doc having a cardiac failure on the half way line, McOxo squealing face down in the mud as he was mown down by another League 1 Neanderthal and that useless French poseur Racon stealing a living. It was awful but I never missed a home game and listened to every away game on Player wherever I was. I have no idea why it meant so much but it did. I cared.

Now we have better players, a better pitch, play better football and the food is much better but I can't muster any enthusiasm at all except for the vegetarian focaccia.

And why do I feel all emotional and weird about the return of SCP on the 28th?

Explain that if you can.
  • Sponsored links:

• Share a lot of the above comments sad to say
  • I agree with much of what has been said on here. I actually got a little bit excited early on in the season. At Brentford (A) I saw a lot of good stuff that I thought we would build on; including 2 quality centre backs and Igor fresh and hungry for goals. Stupidly I went home and put money on us to go up and Igor to be top goal scorer. However, as someone else said it seems to be "destiny" for CAFC to to go back to miserable unwatchable football; not being able to hold a lead for longer than five minutes, and not having a chance on goal for massive swathes of the game. I actually thought a team would have been on the wrong end of a thrashing from us by now - not the struggle we seem to be making happen.
    Whole threads have been devoted to why we are struggling but for me it is simply the Charlton way and has been for my 40 years of supporting.
    I will be in the Camden for 12 on Saturday for some banter with my mates and will get home totally trashed at 11 - inbetween I am sure there will be a crud 90 minutes that I will not enjoy at all.
    The beer, banter, and the hope keeps me going - oh and that it keeps me from getting dragged to Bluewater.
  • edited January 2015
    MrLargo said:

CAFCTrev said:

MrLargo said:

Oh dear, are you another one who thinks we should be jumping through hoops because Roland replaced the pitch? I go along to watch the team rather than stare at the pitch. Presumably, whilst the rest of us are grumbling about the team and manager, you're having the equivalent of Man Utd's treble season as you stare in awe at the lovely green grass week after week.
    No mate, Im just happy for an owner to come in, help us stave off relegation last year, sort out the clubs debt, reorganise the structure of the club, generally stabilise things financially, lowered season ticket and matchday ticket prices and then invest in the facilities that are the backbone of the club. Then maybe just maybe, with all that in place we have a chance to push forward. That doesnt mean we are going to get promoted overnight, but its a lot better state of affairs then 18 months ago.
  • PS Drink had been taken when I created my account, I'm about as Ultra as Red Division or the Palace lot - I need to change it!
  • CAFCTrev said:

MrLargo said:

CAFCTrev said:

MrLargo said:

Oh dear, are you another one who thinks we should be jumping through hoops because Roland replaced the pitch? I go along to watch the team rather than stare at the pitch. Presumably, whilst the rest of us are grumbling about the team and manager, you're having the equivalent of Man Utd's treble season as you stare in awe at the lovely green grass week after week.
    No mate, Im just happy for an owner to come in, help us stave off relegation last year, sort out the clubs debt, reorganise the structure of the club, generally stabilise things financially, and then invest in the facilities that are the backbone of the club. Then maybe just maybe, with all that in place we have a chance to push forward. That doesnt mean we are going to get promoted overnight, but its a lot better state of affairs then 18 months ago.
    Hmmm, difficult to argue with some of that, although I think he kept us closer to relegation than we needed to be by flogging our best players and replacing them with rubbish. I can't dispute that he's stabilised us financially.

Back on the original point, and regardless of how valid your comments are, I'm not enjoying it all this season. Each to their own I guess.
  • MrLargo said:

CAFCTrev said:

MrLargo said:

CAFCTrev said:

MrLargo said:

No mate, Im just happy for an owner to come in, help us stave off relegation last year, sort out the clubs debt, reorganise the structure of the club, generally stabilise things financially, and then invest in the facilities that are the backbone of the club. Then maybe just maybe, with all that in place we have a chance to push forward. That doesnt mean we are going to get promoted overnight, but its a lot better state of affairs then 18 months ago.
    Hmmm, difficult to argue with some of that, although I think he kept us closer to relegation than we needed to be by flogging our best players and replacing them with rubbish. I can't dispute that he's stabilised us financially.

Back on the original point, and regardless of how valid your comments are, I'm not enjoying it all this season. Each to their own I guess.
    I can understand that mate, things have taken a nose dive results wise. Keep the faith!
  • Further to this post, I've actually got the urge to go to the game today!