Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BT Sport Crazy Gang documentary

Just watched it, I have come to the conclusion that John Fashanu is a cock.

That is all.

Comments

• Watched it yesterday, the Crazy Gang stuff was a bit before my time so was interesting but I agree Fashnu (and Vinnie Jones) came across terribly, Fashnu especially seems utterly deluded.

Scales, Besant and Sanchez appeared decent but that wouldn't have been difficult in comparison to the other two twonks.

Statement from Terry Gibson basically stating how fabricated the whole documentary was;

http://www.terrygibson.london/#!Crazy-Gang-Documentary/c1zqn/90957FC4-BAF2-4F60-8BCE-D4094277F586
  • Remember seeing Fash The Bash down at Selhurst...(0-0..I think it was 85-86 season)...all bloody elbows.
  • Following season (86-87) Wimbledon finished 6th, we survived the play-offs beating Leeds at St Andrews....never liked Wimbledon at the time but you can't deny that what they did was effective, and of course they won the FA Cup in 88.
  • Patrick Collins in the Mail today says the same.
  • Also in the Mil Dave Bassett said the documentary was very selective and not true in parts.
  • I shared a cab from woolwich with the ref for game v notts county (game where Kim grant got abused and curbs went mad) just after fashanu did mabbutt, he was saying he should have got a life ban for what he called violent assault.
  • DA9 said:

I shared a cab from woolwich with the ref for game v notts county (game where Kim grant got abused and curbs went mad) just after fashanu did mabbutt, he was saying he should have got a life ban for what he called violent assault.

What Fash did to Mabbs was downright disgusting. How Mabbs wasnt blinded by that elbow I'll never know.
  • edited December 2014
    You only have to read up on some of the stories around the way John Fashanu behaved about his brother's homosexuality to know what an arrogant, unpleasant individual he is.
  • You only have to read up on some of the stories around the way John Fashanu behaved about his brothers homosexuality to know what an arrogant, unpleasant individual he is.

Didn't he basically say he made it up for the attention?
  • Sponsored links:

• You only have to read up on some of the stories around the way John Fashanu behaved about his brothers homosexuality to know what an arrogant, unpleasant individual he is.

At one point in the documentary he said that the Wimbledon players were like the "brother he never had" which was really sad/nasty I thought.
  • colthe3rd said:

You only have to read up on some of the stories around the way John Fashanu behaved about his brothers homosexuality to know what an arrogant, unpleasant individual he is.

As se9addick's post suggests, John pretty much disowned Justin I think and was more worried about how it would make him look if it got out than he was about Justin's mental health and well being.

Justin was clearly a troubled young man but I don't think John did very much at all to help him come to terms with his issues, and if anything probably made his life harder. Seems pretty remorseless about it all when I've heard him speak about it more recently.

You'd like to think he's a bit of a dinosaur these days, but the fact we still don't have an out gay footballer in professional football in England does make you wonder if football has moved on all that much from those days, at least where players sexuality is concerned.

• That's why I'm an atheist. If there was a God then Liverpool would have won the final 10-0. Crazy Gang! Bunch of cocks. Fashanu a prick of the highest order.
  • edited January 2015
    Remember Fashanu doing Come Dine With Me a few years ago with a few others, just came across in that as a really odd bloke, very self-important too.
  • colthe3rd said:

You only have to read up on some of the stories around the way John Fashanu behaved about his brothers homosexuality to know what an arrogant, unpleasant individual he is.

As se9addick's post suggests, John pretty much disowned Justin I think and was more worried about how it would make him look if it got out than he was about Justin's mental health and well being.

Justin was clearly a troubled young man but I don't think John did very much at all to help him come to terms with his issues, and if anything probably made his life harder. Seems pretty remorseless about it all when I've heard him speak about it more recently.

You'd like to think he's a bit of a dinosaur these days, but the fact we still don't have an out gay footballer in professional football in England does make you wonder if football has moved on all that much from those days, at least where players sexuality is concerned.

Johns disowning of Justin might not be down to Justin's homosexuality. There were some downright disgusting allegations about Justin.
    Really? Like what? If you can't post rumours on here any chance of a link?
  • Fashanu came across as an intimidating,condescending bully. Not a nice man,it was either his way or "lock the changing room door and we'll have a chat about it". Nice to see how his career ended.
  • I've just finished watching this and a couple of things come to mind:

The soundtrack was fantastic. Being a teenager in the 80s I loved the music;

Someone should have told Bobby Gould that he had something in the side of his mouth as he looked like he had rabies or something; and

John Fashanu is a proper idiot. He just came across as someone that is desperate to grab attention - any attention at all.

The rest of the players, including Vinnie Jones and Dennis Wise, came across well. The frank comments about life there from those that struggled with it gave credibility to some of the, obvious, exaggerated stories.

Biggest thing, however, was the fact that much of what was on there I didn't know or had forgotten. Even though I was jealous of them at the time as they made our achievements pale into insignificance, when what we achieved at that time was magnificent, by the end of the show I felt I was routing for some of them. Andy Thorne, in particular, came across very humbly, and Wally Downes, having been there since 1978, came across as legend for the club - all be it he left with Beasent and missed the Cup Final.

I hope that BT Sport look to make more documentaries about football clubs and events that were not so well covered by the media at the time and I thought this was a great bit to viewing, even if a lot of it was made up to give those insecure more attention - Fashanu!
  • Think that there was also a lot of rewriting of history going on there as well.

As John Barnes said on more than one occasion, if you think that players like Bryan Robson, Stuart Pearce, Tony Adams and many others were intimidated by thugs like Fashanu and Vinny Jones, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

Wimbledon did have some success at Plough Lane, but I remember an FA Cup game there in around 1986 when Tottenham, inspired by Hoddle and Waddle took them to the cleaners.

The secret behinds the success of Wimbledon was very simple, with some very decent business in the transfer market, as well as a bringing some of their own young players through, they had some very, very good players, a lot of whom either played for their country or even went to World Cups (Beasant, Phelan, Kenny Cunningham, Robbie Earle etc).

Not many park players achieve that.
  • Fashanu is, and always has been, an utter arsehole

He is a classic case of someone thinking because they speak a certain way and use certain words they are more intelligent than they are.

What he did to Gary Mabbutt and I think Ian Walker too was disgusting. Added to how he disowned his brother for being homoeopathy.

Nothing but contempt for the man

• Sponsored links:

• This documentary realy summed up that era
    The music was awsome
  • Carter said:

Fashanu is, and always has been, an utter arsehole

He is a classic case of someone thinking because they speak a certain way and use certain words they are more intelligent than they are.

What he did to Gary Mabbutt and I think Ian Walker too was disgusting. Added to how he disowned his brother for being homoeopathy.

?
  • Carter said:

Like a black Russel brand
  • Carter said:

?
    Hahaha yeah he disowned his brother for his love of alternative medicine

My phone obviously didn't like homosexual
  • Fash summed himself up when he referred to himself in a third person.

For that alone, Tango thinks he's a f**king tool..............:)
  • telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11323590/Crazy-Gang-did-not-win-1988-FA-Cup-final-through-intimidation-that-is-a-ridiculous-myth.html

I think John Barnes has it spot on. Most teams back then could mix it up when they wanted to and had a player or two who were only too happy to give it back to them with interest. Fact is they were very well organised and could also play a bit when they wanted to, albeit it was more direct than many other teams around at the time.

Never bought into this biggest FA Cup shock thing.
  • I'm just glad that at the time of them winning, English clubs were banned from European competitions...........