Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarke Carlisle fighting for his life - EDIT page 4 found safe after he'd been missing

Comments

• Options
    I think Ralf Little is answering back to some flak he got from a tweet that appeared more harsh than was planned
  • Options
    The trying to kill himself I can understand as he would really not been in the right frame of mind. The drink driving on more than one occassion cannot be excused.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Telling somebody who is depressed, "think of your family, think of your friends" doesn't always work. It's past that stage.

Through experience, it's the feeling of not having the confidence talking to people about it. Your self esteem hits rock bottom. It's difficult trying to explain the black void you find yourself in. And even though you really don't want to die, it seems the only option.

The drink driving issue will be dealt with retrospectively, and rightly so. In the mean time, I hope Clarke talks to the right people, people who have made it through the other side. Some of which are on here.

All the best CC.

Great post @DamoNorthStand
  • Options
    very sad .. BUT .. he's gotta start helping himself and laying off the sauce else we could have another Gascoigne situation, i.e. forever in the news for the wrong reasons
  • Options
    Shit. That's worrying.
  • Options
    troubled soul
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bad news hope he comes back and doesn't do anything stupid.

Hes been here before so should be able to retrace the ill feeling and remember how he recovered previously. Hes gotta take responsibility and just carry on, however hard or difficult his current mental situation may be.
  • Options
    Doesn't sound good - seems to be unable to get clear of this illness.
  • Options
    Hope they find him safe and well
  • Options
    Awful. I hope he's okay.

So speaking from personal experience and the experience of those around me, you don't really "get better" from chronic depression (note there are lots of different types and diagnoses some less persistent than others). At best you learn how to "manage" it. And that unfortunately means there are, as he alluded to earlier this summer apparently, bad days.

I don't want to go too far down the road of diagnosing someone I don't know, and I'm not a mental health professional, but it seems like the alcoholism is a form of self-medicating. And once you know that something works, even if it's wholly unpleasant, well, it works, and that can be very comforting.

Also, there's this common trope of "suicide is selfish" and I think that misses the much larger point that depression can deteriorate certain functions in your brain. Obviously it's different person to person, but it's very hard.
  • Options
    I hope he goes to try and kill himself some where a little more quite this time round. The family of the poor lorry driver really don't need all this bullshit brought back up again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

I hope he goes to try and kill himself some where a little more quite this time round. The family of the poor lorry driver really don't need all this bullshit brought back up again.

I kind of get what you mean - but it's very crudely worded.

I have no real experience of depression or mental illness....but I do think that involving others in your suicide attempt is a wanky thing to do.

Let's hope they find him ok.
  • Options
    It's a wanky thing to do regardless of whether they are thinking straight.
  • Options

I kind of get what you mean - but it's very crudely worded.

I have no real experience of depression or mental illness....but I do think that involving others in your suicide attempt is a wanky thing to do.

Let's hope they find him ok.
    Wow! So ineptly worded it would be funny if it wasn't so sad or uneducated.
  • Options

It's a wanky thing to do regardless of whether they are thinking straight.

Pointless comment. I'm sure Clark Carlisle deeply regrets it and wouldn't have done unless he was acutely unwell

If you read up about the effects of mental illness or have the misfortune to suffer from it then you might be able to make a more educated comment.
    I'm assuming you have no interest in making yourself better informed.
  • Options
    So......we are saying that an act cannot be decried whenever the main actor may not be fully in control of their decision making for whatever reason?
  • Options

So......we are saying that an act cannot be decried whenever the main actor may not be fully in control of their decision making for whatever reason?

I don't want to keep going down this rabbit hole, but I think your comment is quite elucidating.

You talk about decrying an act, when in fact earlier you decried the actor as well as his method. And I get that, train and driver suicides are incredibly difficult to deal with. But there is something really substantive in your comment about the actor not being in full control of their decision making. And it's worth noting that when someone is not in control of their faculties in our society, then they are treated differently than if they were.
  • Options

Do you actually believe there is such a thing as mental illness and that it may impact someone's thought process?
  • Options

Shit. That's worrying.

Why? Does he owe you money?