Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarke Carlisle fighting for his life - EDIT page 4 found safe after he'd been missing

Comments

• Options

Just found this, the full documentary he did for BBC3 if anyone missed it I advise you watch it, probably one of the best and most emotional things I have seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4-DW65nn6g&app=desktop

@30mins - Gary's sister Leslie, she makes my sandwiches! It's true.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2015
    Turns out he stepped out in order to end his life as he'd just been nicked for drink driving.

Edit: "charged with a drink-driving offence of failing to provide a sample"
  • Options
    WSS said:

Turns out he stepped out in order to end his life as he'd just been nicked for drink driving.

Source?
  • Options
    Its on absolute radio this morning (he works for them). Very sad indeed
  • Options

WSS said:

Source?
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/05/clarke-carlisle-lorry-attempted-suicide?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    WSS said:

WSS said:

Source?
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/05/clarke-carlisle-lorry-attempted-suicide?CMP=share_btn_tw
    Thanks.
  • Options

WSS said:

Source?
    On this occasion, I'd say sauce is more appropriate...........
  • Options

"This was the perfect answer - it made everyone happy and ticked every box"

What about the person driving the lorry ?

His livelihood ? His family ? His peace of mind ?

What if he had swerved and hit something / somebody else ?

Sorry CC, no respect from me for this.

While I don't blame you for thinking this way, we must remember that CC was not in his right mine to consider ending it all, so probably never gave a thought to anything else, like the lorry driver. It was wrong, but unless we've been there, how can we understand how desperate CC was?

Reading the book on Robert Enke completely changed my views on depression. It's more powerful than most can understand. Tragic story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    might have misheard but think he's speaking/involved on Rock n Roll football on Absolute on Saturday.
  • Options
    A mealy mouthed apology to the lorry driver, and no consideration for a train driver, railway staff or emergency services that would have had to deal with the aftermath (as they did also on the A64) and God forbid hanging himself at York city's ground where a member of staff or even a young trainee/apprentice could have found him.

Personal experience of depression, so I know how dark it can get, but if he was that determined why not overdose at home so his wife found him and that way less people traumatised rather than random strangers.
  • Options
    Not sure if there has been an update on this and there are so many threads about matters closer to home.

Former Burnley defender Clarke Carlisle was attempting to take his own life when he was hit by a lorry in December, he has revealed.
    Carlisle told the Sun newspaper he had been left severely depressed by the end of his football career, financial problems and the loss of a TV punditry role.
    The 35-year-old left hospital on 30 January, six weeks after being struck in North Yorkshire.
    "This was my lowest point," he said. Read on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Viewpoint from actor Ralf Little. Apparently the two have history;

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skfskk
  • Options
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Not sure if there has been an update on this and there are so many threads about matters closer to home.

Former Burnley defender Clarke Carlisle was attempting to take his own life when he was hit by a lorry in December, he has revealed.
    Carlisle told the Sun newspaper he had been left severely depressed by the end of his football career, financial problems and the loss of a TV punditry role.
    The 35-year-old left hospital on 30 January, six weeks after being struck in North Yorkshire.
    "This was my lowest point," he said. Read on

brought on by his gambling & drinking, and alleged theft of Ralf Littles money using his cash card
  • Options

Viewpoint from actor Ralf Little. Apparently the two have history;

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skfskk

Interesting that
  • Options
    Can't make him wrong either
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Discussion on depression this morning on 5Live with ex cricketer Graham Fowler .. it seems that until you've had clinical depression yourself, you simply cannot comprehend what it means to 'be depressed' .. get well again Clarke Carlisle .. it's a long hard road and the road may never end
  • Options
    Depression is depression and anyone that is going through an act of ending their life is only thinkin about number 1, as sad as that is.

I dont know he guy personally, of course, but hes obviously going through a hard time, for whatever reason that may be.

I'd like to think people CAN BE stronger in that situation, but the illness is quite clearly a very dark place that not many people will completely understand.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    One of my Dads drinking buddies topped himself by walking in front of a van on the A12 about ten years ago. The van driver, although totally blameless in the eyes of the law will still have the death of another human being on his conscience. It is a selfish act beyond comprehension to most people, but I temper this thought by assuming that the sufferer didn't want depression and consequently they cannot really be held responsible.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

A mealy mouthed apology to the lorry driver, and no consideration for a train driver, railway staff or emergency services that would have had to deal with the aftermath (as they did also on the A64) and God forbid hanging himself at York city's ground where a member of staff or even a young trainee/apprentice could have found him.

Personal experience of depression, so I know how dark it can get, but if he was that determined why not overdose at home so his wife found him and that way less people traumatised rather than random strangers.

If I understand the sequence correctly, he wasn't sober when it happened so wasn't thinking in such logical terms as a result of that as well as the effects of depression.
  • Options

I have suffered from anxiety on a number of levels for a good few years. I have never been in a situation where I could imagine wanting to take my own life and cant imagine what must have been going through his mind.

Our company have a chosen charity every year - and in 2015 it is MIND. Their current initiative is Time to Change - in that we need to break down the stigma around mental health and get people talking more.

As someone who knows what it is like to a certain extent, I am well aware that talking DOES help.

I am sure that there will be people on this board reading this with mental health issues that nobody knows about.

Don't bottle it up, and keep it in. Get yourself some help. And if you really feel that you don't have anyone to talk to - then PM me. I am most certainly not a qualified psychiatrist and a stranger in many ways. But I will certainly listen. And sometimes that is enough to get back on the road.

Excellent post Damo.

I've commented previously on my depression (thankfully I've not had it for a long time now) and anxiety/panic attacks (something I'll always have to live with & find ways to cope with).

Talking to friends and family massively helps.