Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kids for a £1 Charlton v Brighton Sat January 10th 3pm

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Does this mean the away tickets for kids will also be £1?

Isn't Brighton a gold game because they always sell out? Surely this will effect takings at the gate, negating the point of allocating this game as "gold".
  • edited December 2014

• edited December 2014
    Great thing that we do on a regular basis and the moaners are out.

Someone will also take offence at the word "Kid" because it should be child.
  • Child for a Quid doesnt have the same ring as Kids for a Quid though does it?
  • No but "nipper for a nicker" scans!
  • Personally...... I support the idea of this. But for a gold game it might be a strange choice?

A few weeks ago I proposed free kids to season ticket holders, or 'new'\ lapsed season ticket holders.
    I think other former employees of the club had been prepared to assist the club on increasing the fan numbers.
    I have also seen a number of things including the next game being offered at a discount.
    That does seem to blow the idea of not 'discounting tickets' on a regular basis out of the water, which I think is the favoured reason why this has not happened!. The reason 'it devalues the ticket' or so I have been told. Personally speaking I have never been convinced that argument holds any business sense, and in fact seems rather at odds with these events. Of course certain fan's may be rather frustrated that someone gets a better deal, but they have the advantage of a chosen seat, and the guarantee of a seat.
    Surely a full , or near to full Valley is a better experience for all, and if kids get in free, are we really so upset at this?
    Or would fans prefer the empty seats......
    Once again, I support the idea of encouraging kids as a way of getting lapsed and family members back...... just think we ought to bite the bullet. This is my personal belief for the record.
  • £1 is a bargain but I already have kids... but they are grown up. Do I need new ones? It's such a tough decision... Nah it's ok but thanks RD.
  • edited December 2014

Does this mean the away tickets for kids will also be £1?

Isn't Brighton a gold game because they always sell out? Surely this will effect takings at the gate, negating the point of allocating this game as "gold".

It's quite a strange idea to mix the two, because the point of having gold games is to justify higher prices, as you say. That said previous kid for a quid games have tended to be for U18s. The majority of junior sales are U11-U18. Restricting it to U11s basically limits it to accompanied kids, which will a) reduce the take-up and b) drag in some adults. It also means the reduction is only £4, of which about 67p is VAT.

Reducing U18s from £10 to £5 has little effect on the number sold.

The main problem is having a "gold" game straight after Christmas in the first place, which is why it's unwise to be too rigid in allocating these if you are going to have them. The FA Cup game now sits in between too.

But the main reason you wouldn't make this offer, as you suggest, is that there is a lot of revenue in the away end for this fixture and if Brighton sell out then attractng extra U11 aways potentially costs adult sales, which is a big financial hit in each case.. But with their form and the trains out it may be they won't sell out.

Worth remembering that our kids tickets are very well priced already.
  • Seeing their numbers at Derby recently (poor by their recent standards) I think they may struggle to sell out, esp at those prices and with their form.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's about time they promoted a decent game so as to entice people in with price and back again with performance / result.
    They've rebuilt the squad, outsourced the catering and lowered the prices. Our home form (and the pitch) is much better, so time to promote the club with kids for a quid (and football for a fiver) and build up the attendances.
  • Too further add to my posting I got a ticket for £2 today for Saturdays game.
    Mind you I did have to pay £1.50 in admin ( not clear on the website as was) ,but what great value.
    I have been informed that the take up is over 2,000 , and hopefully some of takers might be persuaded to be half season ticket holders, or regular casual supporters. I got this through the community trust, so perhaps they are funding this?

Sorry to mention the idea about free kids with new/lapsed season ticket holders......
    I would be interested to know the business case for not trying this idea?.
    By the way Kevin Kilbane ex footballer and now pundit proposed this a couple of months ago at a Supporters Direct event, so I cannot claim this as 'my original idea'......
  • Too further add to my posting I got a ticket for £2 today for Saturdays game.
    Mind you I did have to pay £1.50 in admin ( not clear on the website as was) ,but what great value.
    I have been informed that the take up is over 2,000 , and hopefully some of takers might be persuaded to be half season ticket holders, or regular casual supporters. I got this through the community trust, so perhaps they are funding this?

Interesting that this is being done via the Community Trust and not the Club. Hopefully it is the start of a beautiful friendship. 2000 sales are great but will be interesting to know how many are extras or are they the same people who would have bought match days tickets anyway.

Sorry to mention the idea about free kids with new/lapsed season ticket holders......
    I would be interested to know the business case for not trying this idea?.
    By the way Kevin Kilbane ex footballer and now pundit proposed this a couple of months ago at a Supporters Direct event, so I cannot claim this as 'my original idea'......

A bit like banks offering better rates to new customers than to existing customers to buy.

The long term ST holder who is a parent with two teenage children is paying a couple of hundred quid while the new guy's kids get in for free.

• edited December 2014
    According to the person I spoke into you can buy a half season ticket for £15 for a kid (half season)..... at least so I was told, so not that hard to swallow, is it £30 for two......and you get 2 new/lapsed fans and a further 2 younger members who may wish to go.
    I tend to support the view that Charlton are a community club, and that they should be family friendly.
    The club once they get people into the ground, have to produce a product that they would want to return, this measure on it's own will not solve the issue of vacant seats, but may be part of the solution. To me it is more 'focused' and your pick up rate might surprise people.
  • As I say a very generous and good idea........well done the Community trust
  • According to the person I spoke into you can buy a half season ticket for £15 for a kid (half season)....

That's for U11s

Also that is for a half year ST

What is the lapsed/new ST holder signs up in July. They then get a full season ticket which for an u18 was £100 x 2. So £200 is a bit more to swallow.
  • PL54 said:

Great thing that we do on a regular basis and the moaners are out.

Someone will also take offence at the word "Kid" because it should be child.

I wasn't moaning, just curious where the business sense was.
  • According to the person I spoke into you can buy a half season ticket for £15 for a kid (half season)....

That's for U11s

What is the lapsed/new ST holder signs up in July. They then get a full season ticket which for an u18 was £100 x 2. So £200 is a bit more to swallow.
    correct..... then kid U11 half season ticket

I am not into age discrimination so do not worry about a 10 year old or a 15 year old, in fact I would have an offer for full time students etc. But then I am not financing this..........
    Of course, I got this from the ticket office, so they were going to tell me the best case.( there example not mine)
    Do you not support the idea then?
    Still not heard a sound business against this...... except people might be upset..... personally I am more upset at the empty seats, and lack of atmosphere!...... and another striker.
    It was just a constructive idea, or so I hoped........I have given my 'tuppence worth'

That's for U11s

I am not into age discrimination so do not worry about a 10 year old or a 15 year old, in fact I would have an offer for full time students etc. But then I am not financing this..........
    Of course, I got this from the ticket office, so they were going to tell me the best case.( there example not mine)
    Still not heard a sound business against this...... except people might be upset..... personally I am more upset at the empty seats, and lack of atmosphere!...... and another striker.
    It was just a constructive idea, or so I hoped........I have given my 'tuppence worth'
    But the club DOES do age discrimination (sic) as it prices differently for different age groups. So do bus and rail companies, cinemas and lots of other places.

Not upsetting your core customers IS a business case.

Not offering some buyers the same product for £200 more IS a business care.

You are now suggesting offering free tickets to everyone up to the age of 18 and many up to 21 but have you looked at what percentage of the crowd that makes up or how it would further reduce ticket income?

Have you considered that when you give something away for free on a long term basis it devalues it and it then very hard to get that person to see any value in buying a full price ST when they are 22.

Yes, it's great to see more people in the ground but that is not the only aim. The aim SHOULD be to maximise both attendance AND Income not to favour one too much over the other.

Otherwise we have too easy choices. Give all the ST away for free and fill the empty seats or charge £1000 a ST and make more money off the 5000 hard core fans who might still turn up.
  • edited December 2014

According to the person I spoke into you can buy a half season ticket for £15 for a kid (half season)....

That's for U11s

But the club DOES do age discrimination (sic) as it prices differently for different age groups. So do bus and rail companies, cinemas and lots of other places.

You are now suggesting offering free tickets to everyone up to the age of 18 and many up to 21 but have you looked at what percentage of the crowd that makes up or how it would further reduce ticket income?

Have you considered that when you give something away for free on a long term basis it devalues it and it then very hard to get that person to see any value in buying a full price ST when they are 22.

Yes, it's great to see more people in the ground but that is not the only aim. The aim SHOULD be to maximise both attendance AND Income not to favour one too much over the other.

Otherwise we have too easy choices. Give all the ST away for free and fill the empty seats or charge £1000 a ST and make more money off the 5000 hard core fans who might still turn up.
    But they have a poorly attended match day without these type of incentives.
    I view it differently.
    Generally those under 16/18 are living at home with there parents these days. And therefore the financial burden is put on households.
    Yes there is a loss of revenue for a few years, you may also have a supporter for life. Aiming it towards the lapsed members, who may have had to give up this opportunity because of the cost should not be under estimated. To generate more income they might spend in in the ground, on food/drink/programmes etc. It is a targeted approach. More so than just giving away free tickets to a random bunch of young kids, who might on the off chance want to go.

Most students full time have to take out loans, or get jobs to help pay for social events, or get there parents to pay for this.
    I personally think there is scope for a trial with UoG students, and see the take up. After all they are the sponsors of the club and there may well be funds to secure this. Perhaps even a sponsor of this scheme?...... Anybody dared to ask?

Yes there may well be people who will leave after the scheme, bit like the glory boy fans from the Prem days there!

You are forgetting that you will get two adults at full price, two adults who may not be prepared, or unwilling/cannot afford to spend a further £200 for each child.

I see it as an investment, and like other business's need to have a more focused marketing approach.
    Of course when we reach the nearly full stadiums we can take a a different perspective of this.
    In the meantime, how do you fill the seats..... As I said this alone will not be the answer, but does help get fans in, albeit you tend to favour the idea that will leave as soon as the offer is withdrawn?. Of course when they are in, you have the opportunity to get them for life, or till next week.
  • Sponsored links:

That's for U11s

I view it differently.
    Generally those under 18 are living at home with there parents. And therefore the financial burden is put on households.
    Yes there is a loss of revenue for a few years, you may also have a supporter for life. Aiming it towards the lapsed members, who may have had to give up this opportunity because of the cost should not be under estimated. To generate more income they might spend in in the ground, on food/drink/programmes etc. It is a targeted approach. More so than just giving away free tickets to a random bunch of young kids, who might on the off chance want to go.

Most students full time have to take out loans, or get jobs to help pay for social events, or get there parents to pay for this.
    I personally think there is scope for a trial with UoG students, and see the take up. After all they are the sponsors of the club and there may well be funds to secure this. Perhaps even a sponsor of this scheme?...... Anybody dared to ask?

Yes there may well be people who will leave after the scheme, bit like the glory boy fans from the Prem days there!

You are forgetting that you will get two adults at full price, two adults who may not be prepared, or unwilling/cannot afford to spend a further £200 for each child.

I see it as an investment, and like other business's need to have a more focused marketing approach.
    Of course when we reach the nearly full stadiums we can take a a different perspective of this.
    In the meantime, how do you fill the seats..... As I said this alone will not be the answer, but does help get fans in, albeit you tend to favour the idea that will leave as soon as the offer is withdrawn?. Of course when they are in, you have the opportunity to get them for life, or till next week.
    How much will it cost Charlton in lost income?

Yes you might get them for life but next season with your plan how much income is lost and how is that to be covered? Sack admin staff? Reduce the playing budget? don't upgrade the pitch? Delay the build at Sparrows Lane? You can say "it's an investment" but it isn't. It's a gamble that has to be paid for.

That's a real world business decision. Because is will take decades for the benefits of those kids becoming paying adult ST holders to kick in, if they every do. So you have to decide which cost you are going to cut.

Sorry, it's just not thought out as it looks at only one side of the equation. Every freebie has to be weighed against lost income.

I'm going to not bother to renew next season but my wife, whose never had a season ticket is going to buy one so we get our son's ST for free. I doubt she'll want to come very often so I might as well use it. Handy that. Just saved myself £100+. Club has lost out but they've got new ST holder, haven't they? Think of it as an investment.
  • just rung to order tickets for both Blackburn and Brighton and guess what - the ticket office is closed. Although we will ring again how many people will not? I think this is a very short-sighted decision.

That's for U11s

I view it differently.
    Generally those under 18 are living at home with there parents. And therefore the financial burden is put on households.

How much will it cost Charlton in lost income?

Yes you might get them for life but next season with your plan how much income is lost and how is that to be covered? Sack admin staff? Reduce the playing budget? don't upgrade the pitch? Delay the build at Sparrows Lane? You can say "it's an investment" but it isn't. It's a gamble that has to be paid for.

That's a real world business decision. Because is will take decades for the benefits of those kids becoming paying adult ST holders to kick in, if they every do. So you have to decide which cost you are going to cut.

Sorry, it's just not thought out as it looks at only one side of the equation. Every freebie has to be weighed against lost income.

I'm going to not bother to renew next season but my wife, whose never had a season ticket is going to buy one so we get our son's ST for free. I doubt she'll want to come very often so I might as well use it. Handy that. Just saved myself £100+. Club has lost out but they've got new ST holder, haven't they? Think of it as an investment.
    If you would like to get me access to Charlton's season ticket base I dare say I could work out the figure...... I know a couple of people who could give it a bash!. Delay the build at Sparrows lane? ...... when it is going to start.?

So giving away random tickets, regardless of any connection to CAFC is not a gamble?....... as at present.
    I have just proposed a more direct focus on lapsed season ticket holders, and offering them an incentive if they have children.i.e families. You do not think that is a valued, and positive approach.
    Obviously I view the 'real world business decision's' with a different perspective than yourself.
    Still got the empty seats though! . What do you suggest.......
  • anyone who really wants to go to those games will ring back
  • just rung to order tickets for both Blackburn and Brighton and guess what - the ticket office is closed. Although we will ring again how many people will not? I think this is a very short-sighted decision.

Short memory.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20141029-ticket-office-to-close-on-thursdays-2048230.aspx
  • anyone who really wants to go to those games will ring back

Not the point though (in my opinion).

Absolutely nothing will convince me this is not a barking business decision not having the abilty to buy tickets Mon - Fri 9-5
  • (personally) I suspect anyone who care's enough about those games will know through one channel or another that the ticket office isn't open Thursday afternoons and ring another time

I agree it doesn't seem to make sense to close it, but it's been done and I doubt it's had any effect either way, on attendances or the amount of admin work they are able to catch up on in the ticket office
  • If you would like to get me access to Charlton's season ticket base I dare say I could work out the figure......

That was my point, You don't know so it is guess work

So giving away random tickets, regardless of any connection to CAFC is not a gamble?....... as at present.

Yes it is a gamble but you are extending an one game gamble for one youth age group to a whole season gamble for all under 18 and many U21. Based on a guess.

And before anyone trolls about moaning, slagging off the club etc I think kids for a quid is a good idea and a gamble worth trying.

I have just proposed a more direct focus on lapsed season ticket holders, and offering them an incentive if they have children.i.e families. You do not think that is a valued, and positive approach.

Frankly, no because it's not thought out.

Obviously I view the 'real world business decision's' with a different perspective than yourself.
    Still got the empty seats though! . What do you suggest.......

I suggest that decisions have to be made with all the available data and knowledge but you, I, the Trust, Airman Brown and, I fear, even the Club don't have that.

Delay the build at Sparrows lane? ...... when it is going to start.?

Due to finish December '16 according to latest estimates which is when the audit for Cat 1 is scheduled. No idea when it is going to start.
  • No my original idea was .
    According to the person I spoke into you can buy a half season ticket for £15 for a kid (half season)....

You replied.........
    That's for U11s

I went on to suggest that this scheme could be considered for UoG students,that were older..........

I suggest that decisions have to be made with all the available data and knowledge but you, I, the Trust, Airman Brown and, I fear, even the Club don't have that.
    Agreed, but that is not likely to happen is it.?.....as the above have offered, which of course is there prerogative.
    I would be prepared to, and I am sure you would be prepared to do this.?

Sparrows Lane..... spade not in the ground as yet..... so December 16 may be attainable?

Yes it is a gamble but you are extending an one game gamble for one youth age group to a whole season gamble for all under 18 and many U21. Based on a guess.

And before anyone trolls about moaning, slagging off the club etc I think kids for a quid is a good idea and a gamble worth trying.

Well my reply to that would be that former CAFC season ticket holders would be a safer bet then random people, who may not even be interested in football?
    Like yourself I have nothing about specific games being targeted for this group, but not necessarily this category of game, if there was capacity to do so.

If as the figure is correct?....... this offer went out to community groups, that have an association with CAFC, and it is 2,000 then the club and the community trust should be congratulated.
    I was in fact supporting this idea than just 'random groups'.

Having bought services and goods from other business, they email, and send me flyers as a former customer, they even offer me generous discounts including free children places!
    ( not much use for me, although I could take the grandchildren) which was the basis of my call to CAFC in the first place on there excellent offer.

Sorry you feel it is such a gamble, let's see what CAFC can come up with shall we?........ that is any less than a gamble

• edited December 2014
    Large it's common knowledge the ticket office is closed Thursday afternoons