Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Excel spreadsheet to compare current season with last. Like for like games compared

edited December 2014 in General Charlton
I have created an Excel spreadsheet to compare like for like games in the current season with those from last season. It is very simple, but I have a business where I create custom Excel spreadsheets for small businesses, and I would like to give this Charlton spreadsheet away as a freebie. I would just like to see if people are interested in getting hold of it before I upload it and have it available for download. Is this something that you guys would like, or is there already one doing the rounds? I moved to SE London a few years ago from Cape Town, South Africa and I grew up as a Man United fan (my dad was born in Manchester). I have decided to support Charlton (I live between Charlton and Crystal Palace, but who wants to support Palace?). Glad to be an Addick.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Fire away RR I love a spreadsheet!

Has it got graphs, I love a pie chart?
  • I used to do one swapping promoted and relegated teams to give a like for like, but it was too much hassle. So yes would love it
  • That is exactly what it is, swapped promoted for relegated. No, there are no charts soapy_jones, but I can look to add some if it makes you that happy. I'll let you know on this thread when I put it up.
  • RichRed said:

I have created an Excel spreadsheet to compare like for like games in the current season with those from last season. It is very simple, but I have a business where I create custom Excel spreadsheets for small businesses, and I would like to give this Charlton spreadsheet away as a freebie. I would just like to see if people are interested in getting hold of it before I upload it and have it available for download. Is this something that you guys would like, or is there already one doing the rounds? I moved to SE London a few years ago from Cape Town, South Africa and I grew up as a Man United fan (my dad was born in Manchester). I have decided to support Charlton (I live between Charlton and Crystal Palace, but who wants to support Palace?). Glad to be an Addick.

Welcome to CL, RichRed & strap yourself in for the bumpy ride Henry Irving mentions "occasionally"....

Loving your name too.

Any chance of you buying us a striker ?

:-)

• edited December 2014
    Ta RR. I do a bit of Excel meself so look forward to it. Remember, no bar or line graph rubbish, gotta be pie chart (and don't forget the legend!)
  • Oo er. If it's got some regression analysis I'll get all goose-pimply.
  • Love a good spreadsheet. Please use name ranges, candle charts and box whisker charts. None of this novice pie, bar and line chart nonsense.
  • If you guys are intent taking this down the spreadsheet route, then you ain't getting any Symphony from me...
  • Hope it's none of that reiff-raff created on Excel 2003
  • Sponsored links:

• Does your spreadsheet have anything like this?

Screenshot 2014-12-11 00.43.27

Would you like to join CHARLIES? Its a sub group called CHARlton LIfe Enjoys Spreadsheets.
  • @Stig we're only one point better off then we were this time two seasons ago? Never realised that.
  • @Stig we're only one point better off then we were this time two seasons ago? Never realised that.

Right about now 2 seasons ago we went on a losing run so hopefully we'll be looking a lot better by mid January
  • Stig said:

Does your spreadsheet have anything like this?

Would you like to join CHARLIES? Its a sub group called CHARlton LIfe Enjoys Spreadsheets.

I'll put a graph on similar to this, except I assume that this is their progression over the season as they play the matches. Mine will be their progression in like for like matches based on the current season's fixtures. Depending on what changes I make, it may only be for the current season and the last.

I'll try and get this done and get it uploaded by the weekend. I'll put the link up here when done.

I thought I was a nerd with this love for spreadsheets, but I guess I'm in good company here :-)
  • RichRed said:

Stig said:

Does your spreadsheet have anything like this?

I'll put a graph on similar to this, except I assume that this is their progression over the season as they play the matches. Mine will be their progression in like for like matches based on the current season's fixtures. Depending on what changes I make, it may only be for the current season and the last.

I'll try and get this done and get it uploaded by the weekend. I'll put the link up here when done.

I thought I was a nerd with this love for spreadsheets, but I guess I'm in good company here :-)
    Now if you also like trains mate...
  • Love a spreadsheet - being bit of an Excel-Jockey myself. Would love to see it. Please upload.
  • edited December 2014
    OK Boys and girls, here is the (new) direct download link: http://spreadsheetsolutions.pw/download/1622/
  • Fire away RR I love a spreadsheet!

Has it got graphs, I love a pie chart?

I'm Ron Burgundy?
  • Stopped when I saw the link to your personal blog.

I'm sure it's something you feel strongly about but for me personally it is a big negative.
  • Sponsored links:

• There seems to be an error with teams that weren't in the division last season. If I put Cardiff in there it offers me the result from last season. Surely you should indicate who the opposition was last season so that we can see what the comparison club is?

Also you seem to be able to select the same fixture twice. I would have thought that if you build spreadsheets for professional clients (and having your logo on the graph would suggest that this is an indication of what you would offer, professionally) you would ensure that you cannot allow this user error.

It is informative but, personally, I find it a little loud and the formatting isn't to my taste, but I may well be in a very small minority thinking that. An unprotected version would be useful, especially if the historical data could be entered then a comparison from previous seasons would be possible.

I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical but I don't think it's too unfair or unreasonable a critique bearing in mind one could suggest that there are more adverts on it that are strictly necessary for a fan built football spreadsheet. It has also not gone unnoticed that the spreadsheet with adverts for and links to your business was shared the day after you joined CL. There is, clearly, nothing wrong with that and if you were eleven and doing a school project then I would have been very gushing, but a taster of what you offer professionally probably needs to be flawless.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback.

As for your first comment, the teams that were in the Championship last season and not in it now, will not show up. As it states on the spreadsheet, they are compared to the teams that were promoted/relegated in their place.

As for the second point, point taken, I could change it to do this. When I have some time I'll take a look at that.

I'm hesitant to put an unlocked version up as I have all sorts of hidden data which I do not want to be disturbed. I understand about the 'loud formatting'.

I understand your last comment. I actually didn't intend to put this (and the Man Utd) one up originally, I just did them for my own use and thought that others could get some enjoyment from them too, so I thought that I would share them. The logos were an afterthought really. Maybe it is best if I just removed them. The last thing I wanted to do was upset anyone or put them off my business. I just wanted to share them.
  • Stopped when I saw the link to your personal blog.

I'm sure it's something you feel strongly about but for me personally it is a big negative.

Fair enough. I have no issue with that, each to their own.
  • RichRed said:

There seems to be an error with teams that weren't in the division last season. If I put Cardiff in there it offers me the result from last season. Surely you should indicate who the opposition was last season so that we can see what the comparison club is?

Also you seem to be able to select the same fixture twice. I would have thought that if you build spreadsheets for professional clients (and having your logo on the graph would suggest that this is an indication of what you would offer, professionally) you would ensure that you cannot allow this user error.

It is informative but, personally, I find it a little loud and the formatting isn't to my taste, but I may well be in a very small minority thinking that. An unprotected version would be useful, especially if the historical data could be entered then a comparison from previous seasons would be possible.

I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical but I don't think it's too unfair or unreasonable a critique bearing in mind one could suggest that there are more adverts on it that are strictly necessary for a fan built football spreadsheet. It has also not gone unnoticed that the spreadsheet with adverts for and links to your business was shared the day after you joined CL. There is, clearly, nothing wrong with that and if you were eleven and doing a school project then I would have been very gushing, but a taster of what you offer professionally probably needs to be flawless.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback.

As for your first comment, the teams that were in the Championship last season and not in it now, will not show up. As it states on the spreadsheet, they are compared to the teams that were promoted/relegated in their place.

As for the second point, point taken, I could change it to do this. When I have some time I'll take a look at that.

I'm hesitant to put an unlocked version up as I have all sorts of hidden data which I do not want to be disturbed. I understand about the 'loud formatting'.

I understand your last comment. I actually didn't intend to put this (and the Man Utd) one up originally, I just did them for my own use and thought that others could get some enjoyment from them too, so I thought that I would share them. The logos were an afterthought really. Maybe it is best if I just removed them. The last thing I wanted to do was upset anyone or put them off my business. I just wanted to share them.
    All sorts of hidden data???!
  • Just to let everyone know, I spoke to someone the other day and was telling them about this spreadsheet. They suggested that I join this group and share it with you guys. I am sorry if I have upset anyone or appeared to me 'marketing' here. If that is how it is viewed, I am happy to leave the group and remove the spreadsheet. It was never my intention.
  • All sorts of hidden data???!

Yes, there are hidden pages with last season's results in, as well as hidden columns with data and the data for the chart is hidden. There is also conditional formatting.
  • I bet you are glad you bothered
  • I actually regret joining this group and sharing this spreadsheet now. I just thought that others may enjoy it, I didn't want to upset anyone. I am a new fan and was excited about supporting Charlton.
  • RichRed said:

Yes, there are hidden pages with last season's results in, as well as hidden columns with data and the data for the chart is hidden. There is also conditional formatting.

And you can't unprotect those because....
  • colthe3rd said:

RichRed said:

And you can't unprotect those because....

I can unprotect them, I'm just hesitant to because the spreadsheet will not work if they are disturbed. Not everyone using it is as competent as you.
  • edited December 2014
    Oh dear ....

There goes our Sugar Daddy.

Nice while it lasted, RR

There's a little Club playing in blue just down the road who would be DELIGHTED to see their season's stats !