Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why sit back

I was thinking about this after Ipswich and watching today has made me think again.

When the season started we never stopped going forward and that was key in the wins over Derby, Wigan and Watford.
I remember coming out of the games delighted looking forward to this new style of play.

So what has happened over the past month or so, why do we now suddenly drop back and not push forward, we sat back today from about 35-40 minutes onwards, even we it went 1-1 I expected us to push forward again but no we continued to sit back.

does anyone have an idea on why we have suddenly done this?

Comments

• Suddenly ? we have been sitting back after scoring for more years than i care to remember. It's what we do.
  • Frustrates me to hell, no pushing up, just concede possession, no pressure on people about to receive possession.
    Yet, we still have only lost 3 games out of 20.!
  • I'm come to the conclusion that you all know more than Bob Peeters does about football
  • Suddenly ? we have been sitting back after scoring for more years than i care to remember. It's what we do.

I mean suddenly this season, as in we started off for the first few games attacking as I said, and it was working but suddenly we have been dropping back to deep to early
  • Frustrates me to hell, no pushing up, just concede possession, no pressure on people about to receive possession.

and we have only won 6,
    3 of which when we were attacking constantly

I mean suddenly this season, as in we started off for the first few games attacking as I said, and it was working but suddenly we have been dropping back to deep to early
    Managers change tactics to nullify our threats, then attack us.

I'd rather sit back and play on the break when ahead than always attack and concede silly goals.
  • I can understand for last 10-15 mins of a tight away match, but today we were sitting back before half-time, and had nine or ten players in the last third of the pitch for most of the second half...
  • Vetokele hardly had a touch of the ball in second half - how frustrated he must be.
  • We don't have the player's. We're good at defending but apart from Igor we have very little going forward. When we get in the opposition half we only have Igor to aim for.

Tucadean has his fault's but I think we look much better going forward when he's in the side, mainly because it frees up Igor.

By being too cautious, I think. We seem to play to not get beaten rather than to win, which is a good solid base to build on but can be so frustrating when so many of these teams are there for the taking. If we'd taken more risks we may have lost a few more, but might have more points as a result of winning more games.
  • Sponsored links:

• We don't have the player's. We're good at defending but apart from Igor we have very little going forward. When we get in the opposition half we only have Igor to aim for.

Tucadean has his fault's but I think we look much better going forward when he's in the side, mainly because it frees up Igor.

Not sure I completely agree - earlier in first half today we had some good forward moves, usually involving Joberg, Cousins, Harriot. Then they all went deep in the second.
  • WSSWSS
    edited December 2014
    We have players who are better at sitting back than we do going forward.

We play to our strengths to ensure we are not left vulnerable by trying to be something we're not - an average, mid table, championship team.

Managers change tactics to nullify our threats, then attack us.

I'd rather sit back and play on the break when ahead than always attack and concede silly goals.
    I guess this is the plan.

Apart from Igor, we haven't got the strikers in the squad - so we can't play them.

Bob appears to set up the team to be compact and draw teams on to us - the idea no doubt, to enable us to hit opponents on the break.

• I just wonder if there is a forward out there in Europe that Big Bob has his eye on when maybe RD releases the purse strings as mentioned in January?
  • I just wonder if there is a forward out there in Europe that Big Bob has his eye on when maybe RD releases the purse strings as mentioned in January?

if we keep dropping points we might be to far away from the play offs for that,
    remember RD said he would give BP money if we are close to the top 6 in January
  • first thirty johnnie jackson

last 60 lawrie wilson

Wilson made a hash of 2 great openings in the left hand side we were exploiting so well first half. Expected forest to come out strong second half but was pleased to see us coming back into it last ten. JJ stays on the pitch we would have won that.

Yes and a win next week keeps us in the frame. That would put us on 32 points from 21 games which is very close to 6th place form.
    Elsewhere someone has posted that M.Duchatelet was over this week. Perhaps they are discussing progress to date plus budget and targets for January.
    Bob Peeters and the squad have kept us in the top ten all season (well 11th tonight) so the question is what happens next.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you don't have the players to push forward then naturally you're going to sit back - not a lot of choice.

As has been said (by many and until blue in the face) we need another striker (at least one). Whilst we are unlikely to be relegated, finishing in the bottom half is not impossible and the diffrence between the top and the middle is pretty much the same as the middle and the bottom. It's tight in the Championship: it would only take 3 losses to screw us over - or 3 wins to either keep us where we are or to push higher.

Yes and a win next week keeps us in the frame. That would put us on 32 points from 21 games which is very close to 6th place form.
    Elsewhere someone has posted that M.Duchatelet was over this week. Perhaps they are discussing progress to date plus budget and targets for January.
    Bob Peeters and the squad have kept us in the top ten all season (well 11th tonight) so the question is what happens next.
    Win last week and were in the frame still, win this week and it would have kept us in the frame.

a win looks along way away if we keep sitting back is my point
  • ...remember RD said he would give BP money if we are close to the top 6 in January

He was simply referring to his pay packet.

Win last week and were in the frame still, win this week and it would have kept us in the frame.

But for a wonder goal today we would have won. Your point is nonsense.

• I didn't think we did sit back particularly. We were trying to break quickly pretty much every time we won it back second half and towards the end the ball was in their half more often than ours. The problem wasn't a lack of will to win, it was a lack of quality required to turn ambition into reality.

you could say but from a wonder goal we would of lost.

we sat back just like we did against Ipswich, just like we did against Millwall in fact in most games since the Norwich game
    which we luckily got away with and since then its like we have thought we could do that every game and get away with it
  • edited December 2014
    Agree with Beds that this is something we've done for years, but this team seem particularly prone to it.
    They're not alone in that,Premiership and international sides going a goal up often sit back,intent on protecting a lead.

Even as a lowly Sunday League player I was aware as a centre-half that the midfield would instinctively drop on going a goal up,pushing us back toward our own 18 yard line.

I think it's an involuntary reflex of many teams and particularly so in those that aren't confident of increasing their lead rather than tactics.

we sat back just like we did against Ipswich, just like we did against Millwall in fact in most games since the Norwich game
    which we luckily got away with and since then its like we have thought we could do that every game and get away with it
    Sat back against Ipswich? You are on drugs or a wind up.

By 'sat back against Ipswich' do you mean 'attacked so aggressively our centre half tried to dribble up the pitch and got tackled in the opposition's half leading to them scoring'?

Wait, I think I've just answered your question about why we sit back
  • the last 10-15 minutes against Ipswich we did sit back, which is why a CB decided to take it upon his self to run and had no support, we was settling for the point and it cost us.

the subs as well 86 and 90 last week 90 this week what is the point other than time wasting, and why time waste because you are trying to settle for what you have