Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Whos bright idea to put Serbia and Montenegro in the same group??

I dont think there are major political issues between the two else they wouldnt be put together

i.e. Azerbaijan | Armenia ... Spain | Gibraltar ... Albania | Kosovo arent allowed to put into the same Group for that reason
    Not political but i am sure there have been issues in the past, i remember the fans confronting was it Kolorov? there is a big rivalry as far as im aware of

I dont think there are major political issues between the two else they wouldnt be put together

i.e. Azerbaijan | Armenia ... Spain | Gibraltar ... Albania | Kosovo arent allowed to put into the same Group for that reason
    Not political but i am sure there have been issues in the past, i remember the fans confronting was it Kolorov? there is a big rivalry as far as im aware of
    We have a big rivalry with Scotland, it doesn't mean we shouldn't play them.
  • edited September 2018

Whos bright idea to put Serbia and Montenegro in the same group??

I guess UEFA / FIFA dont care about that though and put the responsibility on the Home Country to ensure there is no trouble as there appears be fierce rivalries all over Eastern Europe ... Hungary v Romania is one as read a very good book about smaller sides trying to Qualify for the World Cup a little while ago and that game was covered, the two sets of fans really do hate each other

Holland v Germany and England v Ireland are other cases where there doesnt appear much love lost between supporters

i.e. Croatian fans are also nuts hence why we're having to play our Nations League game against them behind closed doors

Not really a big rivalry, its like one of our dodgy cousins who you just dont particularly like.

I mean its a risk, fans/ players.

As JohnnyBev says, thats more of a friendly rivalry - i.e. Its the one chance they get to have a wash when they come down to Wembley as they can all jump into the fountains at Trafalgar Square

I guess UEFA / FIFA dont care about that though and put the responsibility on the Home Country to ensure there is no trouble as there appears be fierce rivalries all over Eastern Europe ... Hungary v Romania is one as read a very good book about smaller sides trying to Qualify for the World Cup a little while ago and that game was covered, the two sets of fans really do hate each other

Holland v Germany and England v Ireland are other cases where there doesnt appear much love lost between supporters

i.e. Croatian fans are also nuts hence why we're having to play our Nations League game against them behind closed doors
    Never heard of those rivalries, i meant more trouble wise from the split there is still a lot of hostility. I don't know the background in fairness, just seems to me its a high risk game. In groups of 4 i am sure it could have been avoided

Never heard of those rivalries, i meant more trouble wise from the split there is still a lot of hostility. I don't know the background in fairness, just seems to me its a high risk game. In groups of 4 i am sure it could have been avoided
    Yeah I'd never heard of the issues between Hungary and Romania yet its all to do with Translyvania now being part of Romania (Hungry lost it to them at the end of World War 1), so I guess Hungary want it back - Strange in a way as is no different really to Spain wanting Gibraltar back yet those two do get separated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungary%E2%80%93Romania_football_rivalry

England v Ireland is of course problematic for obvious reasons and you had that game abandoned in 94 (?)

Holland v Germany is all because of WW2, the Dutch hate them for the occupation and what happened during the War out there... I know there is supposed to be a hatred between England v Germany yet apparently is nothing between them two

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany%E2%80%93Netherlands_football_rivalry
  • Hell I think the biggest sign that FIFA have strange choices over who can play each other is North Korea v South Korea - those two seem to meet quite often when you'd think it would be one of the most risky in the world
  • edited September 2018
    the croatia game is being played behind closed doors because of a swastika that was marked onto the pitch prior to a qaulifer for euro 2016 against italy this being the 1st uefa game played since then - loons.

• Sponsored links:

• i also see that the nations league is not being shown on terrestrial tv? that's a real shame imo and quite disgusting i think, shame on the fa for allowing this to happen.
  • i also see that the nations league is not being shown on terrestrial tv? that's a real shame imo and quite disgusting i think, shame on the fa for allowing this to happen.

Its strange as Sky are also getting the England v Switzerland friendly whereas I thought that would belong to ITV
  • Switched between Germany France and Wales Ireland. Wales looked really good but Ireland were awful. Despite being a nil nil, Germany France game was good. What was funny was after the Wales game, Giggs seemed to be looking for his old teammate to shale his hand but Keane was gone!

Its strange as Sky are also getting the England v Switzerland friendly whereas I thought that would belong to ITV
    strange i think it is outrageous, falling out of love with modern football a bit more, contrary to belief not everyone has sky and is able to go up the pub to watch it.
  • Test matches and England matches should be on terrestrial tv. I can watch it on Sky but I think that it shouldn't just be about money.
  • Test matches and England matches should be on terrestrial tv. I can watch it on Sky but I think that it shouldn't just be about money.

this and also has sweet fa to do about them not being allowed as s4c showed the wales game last night
  • Already a success in my eyes when you look at the results in League D last night

Andorra 0-0 Latvia | Macedonia 2-0 Gibraltar | Armenia 2-1 Liechtenstein

The minnows (especially well done to Andorra) are going to learn so much more from these games than from the constant thrashings they get from the Standard Qualifying routes - Wonder if they wont be so defensive in a few years come those games as they'll have learnt to win / draw a bit more often

I agree. Ya never know, Ireland might even get a sniff when they get relegated.
  • Looking forward to the game tomorrow. Hopefully, we can continue our momentum from the WC.

We must keep the ball better and we are playing the masters at it. No better time to learn than against the best.
  • During the world cup was the most positive we've been allowed to be in a long long time with England.

Would be totally an England thing to get relegated just months later. :lol:

in fairness playing would mean that the result isn't always known in recent times they have been quite one sided affairs :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

Surely you mean Serbia | Kosovo?
  • To be honest I don't know why they don't just have a 3 year European League. They could incorporate that to include a Winner, and also as qualification for the World Cup.
  • edited September 2018
    C_A_F_C said:

Whos bright idea to put Serbia and Montenegro in the same group??

Surely you mean Serbia | Kosovo?
    Yeah sorry its Serbia and Bosnia that cant be paired with Kosovo, I presumed Albania when I wrote it without looking it up as thats who they'd split from
  • There was a time when I'd have relished a day of football like today... Charlton at home then straight home for the England game on telly with a few beers. With my RD boycott and lack of sky tv that's completely out of the window now. Never felt more detached from football as I do right now fuck Roland and fuck Murdoch as well.
  • Bloody clinical... Andorra had one shot last night in the 90th min... one goal to end up drawing with Kazakhstan, means that they're unbeaten in 2018 and sit second (out of four teams) in their Group.

Watched up until the first goal of the Scotland game last night and god did they deserve to be in Level C... Wasted so many good chances in the first half by miskicking the ball from a good position was getting a bit laughable, its a shame for them really because they were creating some good chances, just need to find a really good goal scorer

Still see them struggling to qualify for the Euros via. the Nations League route as if they win their Group it looks like they'll go into a Play-Off facing two from: Greece | Bulgaria | Serbia
  • Watched first half of Scotland, was dross. 2nd half Portugal v Italy, really impressed no Ronaldo, but they were playing some good stuff and in total control. Should have won by 3-4 , couple of blinding saves by Donnarumma. Think of all the teams i've watched over the weekend they were the most impressive, Bernado Silva pulling strings, Andre Silva looked like he was up for it.

After this weekend, my estimations have gone up as i expected it to be glorified friendlies, but there were some good/ close matches and teams have taken it seriously.
  • edited September 2018

Watched first half of Scotland, was dross. 2nd half Portugal v Italy, really impressed no Ronaldo, but they were playing some good stuff and in total control. Should have won by 3-4 , couple of blinding saves by Donnarumma. Think of all the teams i've watched over the weekend they were the most impressive, Bernado Silva pulling strings, Andre Silva looked like he was up for it.

After this weekend, my estimations have gone up as i expected it to be glorified friendlies, but there were some good/ close matches and teams have taken it seriously.

From what I understand where you finish in the Nations League come November will also affect your seeding position for the Euro 2020 Qualifying which'll begin in March - i.e. I cant imagine England or Portugal etc. being one of the top ten seeds if they get relegated

For once UEFA have been quite clever by ensuring there are enough prizes / repercussions for those who dont take it seriously
  • im a fan of it, some result by turkey last night 2 - 0 down and ended up beating sweden 3-2 away
  • I’m liking it too.

You only have to look at the wins and subsequent celebrations for countries like Faroe Islands and Liechtenstein to see how delighted they are to be winning games in a competitive environment.