Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• edited September 2018

as a side note i'm really looking forward to seeing England play and it makes me proud to say i am watching the world cup semi finalists vs Spain, after an unforgettable summer hope there is a bit of noise and a big gstq for the 3 lions.

The World Cup performance has definitely led to a greater buzz about this. Me and a couple of lads are thinking of heading to Spain for the return fixture. We'll go without tickets and try and get some in the home end or will just soak up the atmosphere in the city for a couple of days.
  • Croydon said:

as a side note i'm really looking forward to seeing England play and it makes me proud to say i am watching the world cup semi finalists vs Spain, after an unforgettable summer hope there is a bit of noise and a big gstq for the 3 lions.

The World Cup performance has definitely led to a greater buzz about this. Me and a couple of lads are thinking of heading to Spain for the return fixture. We'll go without tickets and try and get some in the home end or will just soak up the atmosphere in the city for a couple of days.
    a match like that in quite a big staidum ( real betis ) ground you will get tickets in the home end easy enough and usually quite a few english do this even put there flags up etc.
  • Not convinced by this, it'll be interesting how seriously the bigger teams take this, will they put out full strength teams and give 100%?
  • Not convinced by this, it'll be interesting how seriously the bigger teams take this, will they put out full strength teams and give 100%?

They should do since they can qualify for the European Championship through it.
  • id rather these games against decent european teams instead of freindly against usa!! how on earth are they gonna shift 90,000 for that on a november tuesday night.
  • id rather these games against decent european teams instead of freindly against usa!! how on earth are they gonna shift 90,000 for that on a november tuesday night.

I bought mine a minute ago, £16 for a student ticket. Just need to get myself a MAGA hat for this game.

colthe3rd said:

Not convinced by this, it'll be interesting how seriously the bigger teams take this, will they put out full strength teams and give 100%?

Spain appear to have the usual players called up to face us apart from those who retired after the World Cup
  • colthe3rd said:

Not convinced by this, it'll be interesting how seriously the bigger teams take this, will they put out full strength teams and give 100%?

The larger countries will assume that they'll qualify anyway

The qualifying in 2019 looks pretty intense, 5 lots of double games during international breaks

Matchday 1 21–23 March 2019
    Matchday 2 24–26 March 2019
    Matchday 3 7–8 June 2019
    Matchday 4 10–11 June 2019
    Matchday 5 5–7 September 2019
    Matchday 6 8–10 September 2019
    Matchday 7 10–12 October 2019
    Matchday 8 13–15 October 2019
    Matchday 9 14–16 November 2019
    Matchday 10 17–19 November 2019
  • Whats daft is the Nations League / Euro 2020 Play-Off Dates

As its a Semi-Final | Final format competition for each level those Play-Offs will be

26th - 28th March 2020 (Semi-Finals)
    29th - 31st March 2020 (Final)

Means the four winners of the Play-Offs will only have two and a half months before Euro 2020 actually begins

I'd love to know when the draw for the Group Stages will be as wont give fans long to purchase tickets / flights for select games either
  • edited September 2018
    Edit: Just seen that the Draw for the Group Stages will still be in the December 2019

So regardless there will still be four teams that wont know their opponents until a few months before the competition begins
  • Sponsored links:

• pretty sure for 2020 england ( if we went the whole way )

would play 2 group games, 1/4, semi and final at wembley, what would be quite hilarious is if scotland/ireland/wales failed to qaulify and we had to play a group game in one them cities.
  • colthe3rd said:

The larger countries will assume that they'll qualify anyway

The qualifying in 2019 looks pretty intense, 5 lots of double games during international breaks

Matchday 1 21–23 March 2019
    Matchday 2 24–26 March 2019
    Matchday 3 7–8 June 2019
    Matchday 4 10–11 June 2019
    Matchday 5 5–7 September 2019
    Matchday 6 8–10 September 2019
    Matchday 7 10–12 October 2019
    Matchday 8 13–15 October 2019
    Matchday 9 14–16 November 2019
    Matchday 10 17–19 November 2019
    2nd december 2018 is the draw for the group stage of qaulifying
  • Euro 2020 is going to be a strange tournament, games held literally all over the place, minnows qualifying, games held in countries who won't have even qualified.

I'm sure it will all work out perfectly, but it just seems like a bit of a mess right now.
  • se9addick said:

Did anyone ever figure our how this works re qualification for the Euros?

Yeah its a back door route to the Euros if you fail to qualify via the standard route that'll begin next March

Basically the four Group winners from each Level A / B / C / D go into their own play offs, the four winners will then qualify for the Euros

If you qualify via the original route AND win your Nations League Group, your play off spot in the latter gets given to the next best team who didnt qualify by the original route
    Thanks - that’s the clearest explanation I’ve heard so far !
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45403004

Sterling has pulled out. There's always the suspicions that if this was a proper qualifying match, he would have stayed
  • edited September 2018

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45403004

Sterling has pulled out. There's always the suspicions that if this was a proper qualifying match, he would have stayed

100% this. This Tournament is the Checkertrade Trophy of International football.
  • No replacement.

Makes no sense if you have the chance to replace him then why not.

Imagine if something happens to Rashford warming up or something and we are left with Kane and Welbeck.

1st day the players met up was today so if Sterling was injured call Walcott or call Lookman and get them to join up quickly
  • shame if they dont want to take it seriously in my opinion wearing the shirt of your country should be the proudest thing you ever achieve as a footballer, unfortunately i do not think this is the case with a lot of the players.

also if you arent gonna try let us know so we don't bother turning up to wembley to support the team.
  • It may have a fancy name and a qualifying spot available but i can't help but see this as anything other than a glorified friendly
  • Lallana out now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45413352

Bettinelli called up WTF
  • Sponsored links:

• Lallana out now.

Bettinelli called up WTF

Never even heard of him, how bizarre. Odd replacement
  • edited September 2018
    Sterling and Lallana replaced by an uncapped goalkeeper.
    Well, it's different, I'll give em that.
  • We now have more goalkeepers than attackers in the squad
  • Lallana out now.

Bettinelli called up WTF

In terms of match sharp England qualified keepers, Joe Hart is probably playing as well as anyone at the moment
  • Southgate explained: Does not need to bring in an experienced goalkeeper just to watch them in training, wanted to have a close up of Bettinelli
  • ross1 said:

Southgate explained: Does not need to bring in an experienced goalkeeper just to watch them in training, wanted to have a close up of Bettinelli and it's only the Nations League anyway

• It may have a fancy name and a qualifying spot available but i can't help but see this as anything other than a glorified friendly

We are playing a friendly, against Switzerland
  • Number of meaningless friendliest significantly reduced with the introduction of the Nations League.
  • so this nations thingy won’t see us qualify that route fully unless we fail by the usual method ?
    So we will be trying to qualify on two fronts at the same time ?
    But the usual league format of qualification will finish first and then we will have the nations thingy as back up if not qualified by the usual route?
    Say we miss out on the nations thingy and then struggle through normal qualification , will there be a normal qualification back up play off thingy , asking for a Scottish friend of mine :-)