Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ideas needed for a holiday abroad as a suprise for my mum and dad.

Hi all.

Was after some help , basically for Christmas this year I was going to pay for a holiday for my mum and dad abroad.

I usually only spend 20 quid on them each but this year was going to do something special as they have done a huge amount for me this year by helping me pay for my hgv 2 liscence and just being realy gd to me through some challenging times.

I litteraly have never gone on holiday abroad since I was very very young so realy don't no where I start! I have managed to save £1000 for the holiday. I wouldn't mind spending a little bit over if I had too I just realy want them to have a good time.

My parents would probly just want to relax on holiday and chill out . They wouldn't want too go out on the piss or anything . (They are a bit boring like that lol)

They both like history , views, nice food etc I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions ? Or ideas? I would realy appreciate it big time if anyone could give me any advice as I feel abit out my depth as I realy only go on holiday in england !

Many thanks

Comments

• History, views, nice food? Sounds like Venice, Rome or Athens to me but I dunno what you'd get for your budget there.
  • Italy could tick a lot of those boxes.
  • edited December 2014
    Do they want to go away for Christmas?

Morocco is cheap
  • Eurostar to Bruges or Brussels - some good value trips to be had there if you choose right.
  • Is go with Italy. The amalfy coast is beautiful has some lovely beaches and scenery and on the edge of Napoli (Pompeii) and it's about an hours drive from Rome.

Went there myself this year on a cruise for the day, and we're looking at going back for a longer stay.
  • Is go with Italy. The amalfy coast is beautiful has some lovely beaches and scenery and on the edge of Napoli (Pompeii) and it's about an hours drive from Rome.

Went there myself this year on a cruise for the day, and we're looking at going back for a longer stay.

Round.by Sorrento? Very nice place.
  • You should consider Cyprus or a Turkey if it's important to stay within budget. These places offer good vfm. Malta is also worth looking at.
  • look at Santorini, great history, fantastic views sunset etc, lovely relaxing holiday.
  • I'd concur with all of the above.

Did you have a specific time of year in mind for them? Just after Christmas or later in the year for a sunshine holiday etc?

The Italian Lakes would be fab and I think you can get a train to Venice for a trip. I'm not sure on costs though.

I also love Bruges for a long weekend, if that's what they were after.

You could always put a cheque in their Christmas card and say they can do what they want with it as long as they spend it on a holiday and enjoy themselves.

What a lovely touch by the way, they will be made up whatever.
  • Sponsored links:

• So, do you know for sure that they have passports and that they aren't about to expire? Do you know the precise details on their passports so that you can complete the advance passenger information with an airline?
    Probably best to ignore the Vegas suggestion unless you have sufficient info to fill in their ESTA applications for the US (or you know they already have ESTAs).
    Do you know they can afford to shell out on their spending money once there or are you picking up that tab as well? Otherwise they might end up resenting the fact that you've sent them somewhere they can't really afford to be.
    Holiday/healthcare insurance?
    Sorry, I know, I'm a killjoy aren't I?
    Perhaps a weekend somewhere posh in the UK might be a more realistic proposition? ynyshirhall.co.uk/
  • Thr Rock hotel Gibraltar.
    Within budget, good food and plenty of history.

Round.by Sorrento? Very nice place.
    He that's it. Truly stunning scenery!
  • +1 for Sorrento.
  • Www.travelzoo.co.uk

Immense deals on there for any type of holiday, can't reccomend it enough.

Just booked 3 nights in a 4* hotel, return flights to Venice with the mrs for 110 each.
  • Turkey has plenty of history, views and beaches and the added bonus of being cheap once there.
  • What a lovely gesture.

Would a short cruise be of interest to them? Depending on when you had in mind, but I can see P&Os Ventura has a 4-night cruise from southampton 4th Jan that's a kind of taster cruise, with stops at Amsterdam and Bruges, prices from £299 so within budget. It rises to from 349 in March, but whether should b nicer.

If they like their grub, then they would love a cruise. P&O also have lots of other 2,3 and 4 night ones. Might be worth looking into.

Good luck, and check things like passports, other commitments etc first!

• Fiiiiiish said:

Www.travelzoo.co.uk

Immense deals on there for any type of holiday, can't reccomend it enough.

Just booked 3 nights in a 4* hotel, return flights to Venice with the mrs for 110 each.

That's a bargain, will keep an eye on there, cheers.
  • Madeira is a beautiful island and is popular with the,er, elderly...if that's not their cup of tea then Magaluf or Ayia Napa
  • cafcfan said:

So, do you know for sure that they have passports and that they aren't about to expire? Do you know the precise details on their passports so that you can complete the advance passenger information with an airline?
    Probably best to ignore the Vegas suggestion unless you have sufficient info to fill in their ESTA applications for the US (or you know they already have ESTAs).
    Do you know they can afford to shell out on their spending money once there or are you picking up that tab as well? Otherwise they might end up resenting the fact that you've sent them somewhere they can't really afford to be.
    Holiday/healthcare insurance?
    Sorry, I know, I'm a killjoy aren't I?
    Perhaps a weekend somewhere posh in the UK might be a more realistic proposition? ynyshirhall.co.uk/

Harsh, but that could affect the cost of holiday insurance... oh, you mean the passports!
  • Sponsored links:

• Madeira is beautiful and hugely popular with the older traveller - had a great time there but not a lot of "beach" to work with. Awesome scenery though not the cheapest.

Venice - you probably wouldn't get a lot for £1000 and, to be honest, it's hardly restful there. It's frantic. Stunning but VERY expensive.

Amalfi Coast is stunning. Stay away from Naples - it's a shit hole and a dirty one at that. Sorrento & Positano are beautiful. We stayed around 45 mins from there at a hotel called Il Gabbiano in a place called Baia. Some of the best views I have seen anywhere in the world - the views from the restaurant across the Bay of Naples were awesome in day or night. Strongly recommended and reasonably priced. http://www.ilgabbianohotel.info/eng/index.asp. Close enough (with a car) to visit Vesuvius and Pompeii and a lovely drive (provided they are good drivers - otherwise it's as scary as hell)

Budapest is a great place. Very reasonable prices and plenty to see. Lots of history too.

• Florence

Machine
  • Cruise Nation have a lot of good cruise deals
  • Thanks for all your help everyone . I now have gone from having no idea to lots of ideas too look into ! Thinking italy might be a gd idea , I did like the sound of a cruise too but my mum would be far to scared I think! Thanks again all
  • Swisdom said:

Madeira is beautiful and hugely popular with the older traveller - had a great time there but not a lot of "beach" to work with. Awesome scenery though not the cheapest.

Venice - you probably wouldn't get a lot for £1000 and, to be honest, it's hardly restful there. It's frantic. Stunning but VERY expensive.

Amalfi Coast is stunning. Stay away from Naples - it's a shit hole and a dirty one at that. Sorrento & Positano are beautiful. We stayed around 45 mins from there at a hotel called Il Gabbiano in a place called Baia. Some of the best views I have seen anywhere in the world - the views from the restaurant across the Bay of Naples were awesome in day or night. Strongly recommended and reasonably priced. http://www.ilgabbianohotel.info/eng/index.asp. Close enough (with a car) to visit Vesuvius and Pompeii and a lovely drive (provided they are good drivers - otherwise it's as scary as hell)

Budapest is a great place. Very reasonable prices and plenty to see. Lots of history too.

Went to the Amalfi Coast in 2007 and agree its stunning. Would go back in a heartbeat
  • A great gesture Clarkey. Good luck with it. :-)
  • A cruise is a perfect choice. Voyages of Discovery have on board lecturers, all oldish folk of the National Trust Variety. Main advantage is that they can be as active or as quiet as they wish plus they get to see several places. Otherwise Rome would be my choice. Message me if you want details of a fab appt close to the Vatican.
  • Blackpool.
  • I've done a cruise and I loved it. The food was out of this world, the entertainment was great and I believe they even had a gym onboard!

I went with the Fred Olsen Line, who have smaller boats than companies like Royal Caribbean. Small still mean 2,500 to 3,000 passengers.