Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A great goalkeeper of yesteryear: Charlie Wright

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 30
    Oggy Red said:
    Sir Charlie Wright .....one of my heroes when I was a kid, and the keeper in the legendary Eddie Firmani 1968-69 team which so nearly won promotion to the top tier (the proper 'First Division'). 

What a character and crowd pleaser though ..... our one and only Hong Kong international; renowned for his ability to save the impossible and concede the very occasional cringeworthy 'wish the ground would open up and swallow me' schoolboy-type howler (notoriously through his legs).  

Miss those days.

Hong Kong international think he played against Peru and faced a penalty which he saved I believe.

lost 1-2 this is all from memorie .
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sir Charlie Wright .....one of my heroes when I was a kid, and the keeper in the legendary Eddie Firmani 1968-69 team which so nearly won promotion to the top tier (the proper 'First Division'). 

What a character and crowd pleaser though ..... our one and only Hong Kong international; renowned for his ability to save the impossible and concede the very occasional cringeworthy 'wish the ground would open up and swallow me' schoolboy-type howler (notoriously through his legs).  

Miss those days.

Met him and got his autograph. Happy Days.
  • Options
    He’s was prone to the odd calamity. I’ve twice seen him let balls of the football kind, trickle through his legs.
  • Options
    edited January 30
    I think Sir Charlie is getting a rough ride regarding letting balls through his legs I only remember one during a four nil defeat at Bolton in 69. I was there. Funny that they should buy him the following year. 

• Options
    Acab said:
    I think Sir Charlie is getting a rough ride regarding letting balls through his legs I only remember one during a four nil defeat at Bolton in 69. I was there. Funny that they should buy him the following year. 

I also remember a couple at the Valley, one very near the half way line.
  • Options
    Acab said:

I also remember a couple at the Valley, one very near the half way line.
     It's not a goal on the halfway line  :D Seriously I know what you mean but don't ever remember him letting a goal in from the halfway line between his legs or in the top corner but do remember at least once at the Valley when he let one through his legs.

Agree with Acab though, it seems whenever you read about Charlie it's as though it happened every week. He was a brilliant goalkeeper for us & whether he let one two or three through his legs he more than made up for that in the few years he was with us with outstanding displays where he won us many games through his heroics between the sticks. "We all agree, Charlie is better than Yashin"
  • Options
    Definitely ball through the legs v Huddersfield Town too. Having said that one of my all time favourite players.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Straight off the top of my head, I also remember the one at The Valley at home to Ipswich.
    It cost us the only goal of the game, ouch!

When was that, erm .....trying to think back, probably spring 1968.

But put into context, remembering all those wonder saves and Custer's Last Stand performances, when he was unbeatable under relentless opposition pressure. 

• Options
    Ahhh ... Yes Ipswich that was the one I was thinking of
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of my favourite players as a young whippersnapper back then. An integral part of the 68/69 team that, almost, got promoted to the old 1st Division. We finished 3rd and only 2 went up. That year was an anomaly for us as the previous season we finished 15th and the season after we finished 20th and just avoided relegation. It was lots of fun that season and we weren’t used to that! We also had a good mini cup run beating Palace 2-0 at Selhurst Park after drawing 0-0 at the Valley and giving Arsenal a run for their money at Highbury in the 4th round before losing 2-0. Arsenal were the best team in the country back then. 

Condolences Charlie on the loss of your wife. 
  • Options
    One aspect of Charlie’s game was his bravery. 
    In an era of cloggers Charlie would put himself in harm’s way. 
    I was lucky enough to meet Charlie , and he gave me advice on being a good keeper, keep your eyes open! And stay on your toes! 
    An absolute gentleman.