Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A great goalkeeper of yesteryear: Charlie Wright

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2014
    timken said:

Aye ,Aye ,Aye Charlie is better that Yashin.Tracey is better that Eusebio and Millwall are in for a thrashin'.
    First football song I every sung.Happy days.

Charlie was better than Yashin, well apart from the odd one through his legs. I thought the lyrics actually were 'Matt Tees is better than Eusebio' but hey so was Ray Treacy in our eyes and even then we were deluded in thinking we were going to beat Millwall! Happy Days indeed :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    cafctom said:

I never saw him play (I'm 27), but I remember as a kid my Dad always said that he was his favourite player growing up. Is it true he used to own one of the fish and chip shops by The Valley?

@cafctom‌ Think that might have been Sam Bartram's sports shop next door to the Chippy in Floyd Rd / Valley Grove, he wasn't a bad keeper either. :-0 http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/43830/sam-bartram-sport-shop/p1
  • Options

Met Charlie and got his autograph. See attached. Who are the other two Charlton players from 1969/1970??

One definitely Denis Booth, little midfield player if i recall correctly.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Davo55 said:

Met Charlie and got his autograph. See attached. Who are the other two Charlton players from 1969/1970??

He was taller than Richie Bowman Keith Peacock but shorter than Dick Tydeman :-) Dennis came through the colts, was dark haired 'Mexican Pete' moustache making 82 appearances for us but over 550 in a varied league career.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Davo55 said:

Dennis came through the colts, was dark haired making 82 appearances for us but over 550 in a varied league career.
    Went on to play for Lincoln under Graham Taylor
  • Options
    ross1 said:

RedChaser said:

Davo55 said:

Dennis came through the colts, was dark haired making 82 appearances for us but over 550 in a varied league career.
    Went on to play for Lincoln under Graham Taylor
    Ah that explains why he then went onto play 100 times for Watford............under GT.
  • Options

And Dennis Booth. I got all their autographs that year too!
  • Options

Dennis Booth and Graham someone: looks like Flood.

• Options

It looks like Dennis Booth & Graham Moore.
  • Options

It looks like Dennis Booth & Graham Moore.
    Think your right. Was at Kidbrooke Park primary school when a few players came round. Phil Warman was also there but for some reason did not get his signature.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was my Valley when I was a kid!
  • Options
    Good game as well.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Charlie was a very good goalie and at one stage there was even talk of a call-up for Scotland. First and foremost, however, the guy was a great personality and hugely popular with opposition fans, not least because he spent a lot of the game chatting to them whenever he had the chance. I remember standing at the railings behind the goal of what is now the Jimmy Seed Stand during the big FA Cup tie against Palace in January 1969 (in the days before segregation) and he was constantly engaged in banter with Charlton and Palace supporters throughout the entire game. As an impressionable 10 year old, I concluded that this man had nerves of steel.

I do remember him letting a tame shot through his legs later that season in a night match against Sheffield United but two late strikes from Ray Crawford (I think) meant that it didn't matter.

Anyway, for all admirers of the Great man (Charlie, not Crawford), and lovers of that 1968/69 team, here they are in November 1968 as the featured (sole) game on Match of The Day. I posted this earlier this year but make no apology for doing so again (it goes on for 40 minutes - marvellous) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA

Heartbreaking... that will always be The Valley and football for me.

To hell with move on, it was real.

• Options
    Hull City had their freescoring deadly duo up front, Ken Wagstaff and Chris Chilton.

Hull City legends they are.

• Options
    1-0 charlton :-) Matt Tees
  • Options
    Badger said:

1-0 charlton :-) Matt Tees

But typically we concede an equaliser just 2 minutes later.

Sort it OUT, Firmani!

• Options

I remember the Aye, Aye, Aye Aye song but also (to the tune of Silent Night)

Charlie Wright, Charlie Wright
    Plays it cool, plays it right
    Forwards' hopes he's always dashin'
    While we've got Charlie you can stick your Yashin
    Well done Charlie Wright
    Good old Charlie Wright

I too remember Charlton 0-1 Ipswich Mar 68, Charlie letting in a soft one early and then Charlton held at bay for 80 minutes thanks considerably to some diabolical fouls by a young thug called Derek Jefferson and some spineless refereeing.

A few weeks earlier Villa 4-1 Addicks, thanks to the great boost of an absolute howler by Charlie in the 2nd minute, when he knelt to gather a gentle long shot and it went straight between his legs!

These blunders were very isolated, though - Charlie was a superb keeper and very often our saviour.

A final memory - Mar 67 Carlisle 1-0 Charlton (a young Billy Bonds frequently rampaging down the wing with that voracious stride) was a night game. At Carlisle Station the overnight London train pulled in and as we settled in to our compartment for another night "on the cushions" and then straight into work, the platform cleared prior to our imminent departure only for our hero to walk past the window clad only in vest, trousers and socks ....

A larger-than-life character for sure, one of that era's true legends.
  • Options

Dennis Booth and Graham Moore?
  • Options

Dennis Booth and Graham Moore?
    Yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Proper legend is Charlie and really pleased he is fit and well. Was capable of making great saves and fully agree with Oggy Red he was one of the mainstays of that terrific 68/69 team.
  • Options
    Brilliant, Pedro. Love it!

• Options
    He was a very 'careful' Scot and would play even when crippled in order not to miss out on his appearance bonus - hence his no 2 Keith Hayward only managed 1 single first team appearance over a good many seasons!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Loved it. There is so much to see and remember apart from the game......love the bit where the hot water tea boiler is being carried back along the touch line into the stand....so many kids who used to come on their own.....those who could afford 4/6 could sit in the stand......are there any more like this? Campbell was a star.....should have developed with a top team, rather than going to Birmingham.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Wright 6.5 - Good distribution; no chance with goal
    Curtis 6 - Some good crosses and marauding runs, but lucky not to have been booked!
    Kinsey 5.5 - Poor crossing
    Campbell 8 (MoM) - Great player, very good game
    Went 6.5 - Solid and almost won it
    Reeves 6 - Dealt with their danger man well but was it an OG?
    Gregory 6.5 - Some nice touches but too worried about his hair
    Treacy 6.5 - Worked hard but no end product
    Tees 6 - Scored but very little else
    Booth 6.5 - Always in the mix
    Peacock 7 - Little general was everywhere and I thought his late shot crossed the line!

I think Peacock should have been subbed.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Charlie was a very good goalie and at one stage there was even talk of a call-up for Scotland. First and foremost, however, the guy was a great personality and hugely popular with opposition fans, not least because he spent a lot of the game chatting to them whenever he had the chance. I remember standing at the railings behind the goal of what is now the Jimmy Seed Stand during the big FA Cup tie against Palace in January 1969 (in the days before segregation) and he was constantly engaged in banter with Charlton and Palace supporters throughout the entire game. As an impressionable 10 year old, I concluded that this man had nerves of steel.

I do remember him letting a tame shot through his legs later that season in a night match against Sheffield United but two late strikes from Ray Crawford (I think) meant that it didn't matter.

Anyway, for all admirers of the Great man (Charlie, not Crawford), and lovers of that 1968/69 team, here they are in November 1968 as the featured (sole) game on Match of The Day. I posted this earlier this year but make no apology for doing so again (it goes on for 40 minutes - marvellous) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA

Fantastic viewing brings back great memories. Proper football.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Wright 6.5 - Good distribution; no chance with goal
    Curtis 6 - Some good crosses and marauding runs, but lucky not to have been booked!
    Kinsey 5.5 - Poor crossing
    Campbell 8 (MoM) - Great player, very good game
    Went 6.5 - Solid and almost won it
    Reeves 6 - Dealt with their danger man well but was it an OG?
    Gregory 6.5 - Some nice touches but too worried about his hair
    Treacy 6.5 - Worked hard but no end product
    Tees 6 - Scored but very little else
    Booth 6.5 - Always in the mix
    Peacock 7 - Little general was everywhere and I thought his late shot crossed the line!

You clearly watched it on a stream.
  • Options
    Couple of points,No half time board scores on the side,Harry Gregory with his shorts on back to front no7 seen on 14mins,rear right and Charlie Hall must have been standing in the tunnel as no dugouts in the stand.
    But football was just great,brings back my youth.Happy Days.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

You clearly watched it on a stream.

I'll have you know that I was there all right, but I did watch it again on Match of the Day when I got home!