Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich.: Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Played well against a good team. Really enjoyed it, apart from the result. Some good performances and some good football.

• Options
    We could not score in the last minute last week, Ipswich could today. Teams that are successful can do this, teams that can't stay further down the table
  • Options
    Watched game live on Bein TV here in USA. Thought we were better team in first half. Second half they stepped it up and there was a lack of urgency in our play last 20 mins as if we settled for the draw only to get sucker-punched. Disappointing result.
  • Options
    I watched on BEin sports too: appalling commentary team - USA guy who thought it was American Football and Gary Baily who hasn't been around for over 10 years!
  • Options
    daveroan said:

I watched on BEin sports too: appalling commentary team - USA guy who thought it was American Football and Gary Baily who hasn't been around for over 10 years!

On BEIn sports in Dubai it was on with Arabic commentary - perhaps surprisingly, I quite liked it.
    Maybe that's because I couldn't understand any of the bollocks they were undoubtedly spouting if they're anything like the shite-gobbed spunkbubbles back home.
    Also, I was mildly amused that the Arabic commentator constantly referred to Nick Pope as "Nicky Popper".
  • Options
    If we don't get another striker there will be more games like this.
  • Options
    Lack a Plan B. It's as simple as that.
  • Options

Lack a Plan B. It's as simple as that.

Playing Harriott in a strikers role could perhaps be construed as a Plan B... Sadly!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

A game of cliches.

Posting without reading.

Charlton always cock it up when on the telly

If you don't take your chances you get punished.

The above sums today up for me.

Other observations: Harriott was superb and on another day would have scored a hat-trick.

Pope is an excellent goalkeeper and will only get better.

Gutted that we got nothing from that match and really feel for our players who gave it all they had. It might be stretching a point to say that we deserved to win that but we certainly did not deserve to lose it and certainly not in such cruel fashion to virtually the last kick of the match.

Ipswich I sense will be there or thereabouts come May and we more than competed with them so positives to take from a disappointing day.

COYR

Good post Len. BP said it right, and that's why it's so frustrating. There is genuine talent in that team, it is just that today, a couple of the players you would expect to nail it, JBG and Vet, didn't quite nail it. We are a bit sloppy in possession at times and we paid for that today (TBH). However, I think we could've been a bit more alert at the corner. Football is a game that lasts until the ref blows up. We've been taught a lesson today.

We showed after both the Bournemouth and Fulham games we are resilient. I'm confident we'll pick ourselves up for next sat. We've got a good thing here. Yep, we're one more forward away from competing at the top end, but I have faith in our board, our manager and our players. Come on fellow Lifers, let's put today to bed and get up for the city ground!!!!!!
  • Options
    I thought some of the football we played particularly in the first half was some of the best i've seen for a long time but at the end of the day as BP said afterwards you have to put the ball in the net and our lack of compusure near goal is threatening to cost us a real chance of at least challenging for a Play-Off spot. No problems with the defence but an average of only a goal is game has to be improved upon and it will be interesting to see if RD makes the funds available for the extra front man that could make a real difference.
  • Options
    Just listened to Big Bob's comments ..............I agree with him on 1 thing - If you don't score you wont win matches. Everything else is just piss & wind.

Think I might go & support Millwall - at least they can score last minute goals.

we are going down with the Blackpool.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Bikey was magnificent today, denying any opponent: jabbing and poking the ball away from the Ipswich winger in the first half, and zipping across to make a crucial block on their striker late in the second.

This was a highly unusual game: it wasn't until the 30th minute that the flow was halted for a free-kick for either side. Not a single foul, nor an off-side. We were fluent, and upped the tempo in the second half, free of the constipation that has clogged us for two-and-a-half years.

One minute after Wilson came on as sub, he threaded a simple incisive ball to Vetokele, all alone in the box to shoot - and he muffed it. Three minutes later Harriott took a corner and despatched it straight in to the stand. Was that in honour of dear old Danny Green?

Gudmundsson had a perfectly clear chance two minutes after kick-off, free in the box - and he shanked it high and wide. It's no good our players beating their fists on the new-lain turf after their shots missed again ten minutes from time.

Vetokele has perked up: it's vital that a striker sprints to close down the defender, Church-style: he ran those twelve yards today. Yet, Derby won 5-0 at Wolves the other week. Forest are scoring freely again, upstarts Brentford hammered in four today. Even the zimmer-framed retirement resort of Bournemouth are going for the Prem.

Last Saturday Kermorgant scored with a bicycle kick after two minutes. Duchatelet has a personal fortune of £350m and is proudly tight-fisted. Meanwhile we, the paying fans, watch aghast - When in heaven's name will he buy a player who can put the ball in to the onion-bag?

• Options

Typical charlton sky game show what we can do and miss a pile of chances. Sit back last five allow them to come on and get done. When will our management understand we need 2 quality strikers not just 1 and a crafted midfield player. Until this happens we will be just where we are mid table and mediocre.

Does that even make sense? We're average in this lesgue not mediocre!
  • Options
    Gutted to lose that late, but we would not keep the unbeaten record at home going all season. Just glad it was not last week.

One of those days, had enough chances to win but for poor decisions in the final third and good goalkeeping.

Impressed with Ipswich, especially the young left back.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Kap10 said:

16,800 official figure

Long time since we had so many gaps in the east and west Stand
    Big gaps in the upper north - possibly the emptiest it's been. Not surprising in all the circumstances of the game. The official attendance will be distorted by lots of comps, who wouldn't be in the upper north even if they attended. Don't blame the club for trying.

Season ticket holders who find it difficult to attend for health and distance reasons were bound to be tempted to stay at home. Three of our group were in that category.

Thought we played well and Harriott was a good call even though it didn't work out, but we all know what the problem is and can't be surprised by the outcome until this changes.
  • Options
    I think we all knew our first home defeat was coming, we never win on TV, so it was due today. Had to sit with four jubilant Ipswich fans on one of my many trains home, and the main comment was they didn't care if their team was battered for the whole match as long as they win, which they did! We need another striker badly, Igor is looking a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season, and must be fed up with having to do the lot up front. Our best scoring chance was ironically when he was off the pitch changing his boots, typical! I did think all game that Ipswich were more likely to nick the points at the end than we were. Feel that we may have many more of these games if Roland won't put his hand in his wallet. Disappointed.
  • Options

Don't know if it has been mentioned but thought the ref was one of the better ones we have seen at the valley, was also pointed out it was 31 minutes before he gave the first free kick, obviously likes the game to flow.

This, absolutely agree, in fact only 3 free kicks in the first half in total if I remember rightly. I'd gladly have him as a ref for any of our games again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So do I about ref, very impressed at the way he let the game flow.
  • Options
    Posting having seen just 15 minutes of the game on a poor WiFi connection
  • Options
    A lot of people are going on about the need for another striker but what about a midfielder who can score? JBG has to do better in that department.

BP can have a go at TBH for charging forward but I have some sympathy for TBH. He was probably frustrated at seeing another home game pass by without us taking the initiative. It should be us pressing at the end of tight home games, not the opposition.

On the whole though, it was a better game than last week and some of the performances were good.
  • Options
    Things even themselves out over a season.

Ipswich did to us what we did to Huddersfield.
  • Options

And Norwich away
  • Options

Frustrating to lose to a 96th minute goal in any game but some of the build up play today was the best I've seen since the match against Derby.

Please get us a striker Roland. There are so many promising signs but we are lacking in the vital department.

I thought we played some great football yesterday. Cousins was excellent and the best player on the pitch. JBG just needs to release the ball earlier and Igor needs to get the ball under control sooner or hit it first time.
  • Options

Bikey was magnificent today, denying any opponent: jabbing and poking the ball away from the Ipswich winger in the first half, and zipping across to make a crucial block on their striker late in the second.

This was a highly unusual game: it wasn't until the 30th minute that the flow was halted for a free-kick for either side. Not a single foul, nor an off-side. We were fluent, and upped the tempo in the second half, free of the constipation that has clogged us for two-and-a-half years.

One minute after Wilson came on as sub, he threaded a simple incisive ball to Vetokele, all alone in the box to shoot - and he muffed it. Three minutes later Harriott took a corner and despatched it straight in to the stand. Was that in honour of dear old Danny Green?

Gudmundsson had a perfectly clear chance two minutes after kick-off, free in the box - and he shanked it high and wide. It's no good our players beating their fists on the new-lain turf after their shots missed again ten minutes from time.

Vetokele has perked up: it's vital that a striker sprints to close down the defender, Church-style: he ran those twelve yards today. Yet, Derby won 5-0 at Wolves the other week. Forest are scoring freely again, upstarts Brentford hammered in four today. Even the zimmer-framed retirement resort of Bournemouth are going for the Prem.

Last Saturday Kermorgant scored with a bicycle kick after two minutes. Duchatelet has a personal fortune of £350m and is proudly tight-fisted. Meanwhile we, the paying fans, watch aghast - When in heaven's name will he buy a player who can put the ball in to the onion-bag?

M.Roly must have spent 20m+ since taking control in January. To say he's proudly tight-fisted is plain daft or blinkered.

Another striker is required and if we don't get an experienced forward alongside Igor by the end of January I will be a bit miffed, however that is only on the basis that we don't go breaking the bank trying to do it.
  • Options
    Despite the defeat we are still 7 points off top, didn't lose our positions as teams immediately below us lost too.
  • Options
    Gudmundsson on the left, with Cousins central midfield, preferably with a RIGHT footed playing wide on the right will hopefully see us improve.
    Yesterday showed me how one footed Gudmundsson is and too many times had to stop then put the ball on his left allowing players to either dispossess or catch him up.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

And Norwich away
    And Watford and Wolves...