Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich.: Post Match Views

Did we shoot ourselvs on the foot or were our shots way off, yourost match comments here

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    Looked comfortable on the ball but never really looked like scoring. Gudmonsson's decision making was poor when attacking and his corners are awful. What was the point in bringing Bulot on at that time though?
  • Options
    People will come on here and moan we were robbed etc but if you can't put the ball in the net all the build up play is irrelevant

Gutted is an understatement.
  • Options
    Thought tactically we were set up better this week, after the negative tactics last week.

Unfortunately a real lack of quality up front and in the middle has cost us, and will continue to cost us unless we invest.
  • Options
    Once again paying for the fact that we were one striker light starting the season....I wonder how many points it has cost us so far? It might have made the difference between a stab at promotion and mid-table mediocrity, which appears to be where we're heading right now. At least that's better than fighting relegation, I suppose!
  • Options
    Still really only look like a 45 minute team when it comes to attacking. Poor decision making all game, and especially in the last minute cost us. Could of won it last minute last week and lost it today.
    Had enough chances today which was - positive just need to finish now. Fair play to them for going for it and throwing four up top
  • Options
    We had many chances to capitalize and we didn't. Sadly I can't say the same about Ipswich. Surely not Igor's best game and really RD needs to get the poor lad some help. IMO one of the best first halves we've played all hear judging from the number of shots we created. Really thought we'd get something out of this one but it wasn't ment to be. We could drop all the way to 12th if results don't go our way so the next 3 hours could be interesting. Woke up at 5:30 American time to watch the game, and I am deeply disappointed. Going back to bed.
  • Options
    The annoying thing Is we were by far the better team. It just wasnt our day today.

Vetokele on another day would of got a hattrick
  • Options
    Absolutelly mugged. Ipswich team full of injuries there for the taking, their defenders allowing attackers in the spaces between them all game and we never capitalised. They didn't deserve anything from the game, let alone three points but if you don't take your chances this happens. Mick admitted as much in his post match interview; he would have been delighted with a point.

We did a reverse Charlton today; normally we're average all over and Johann and Igor drag us through. Today everyone else pulled their weight, even Harriott, and Johann and Igor fluffed some really, really easy chances. Unbelievable.

We created a hell of a lot more than we have in previous games which was encouraging but wasting such clear-cut chances like we did today is unforgivable. Callum missed a few including one that ran across the face of goal for him, Igor blootered his first touch like his feet were made of rubber and Johann always always made the wrong decision when given the option to pass or shoot.

Frustrated doesn't even cover it today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we played really well today, gunmunssom and coq again the pick of the bunch

Centre halfs both solid but just highlights the fact that if igor doesn't look like scoring then neither do we

Gutted
  • Options
    We've just had done to us what we've done to a few teams this season. That's what you get for not taking your chances, especially 1st half.

I know we seem to say the same every week but it's painfully obvious that Igor needs some help up front. Feel sorry for him at times. The guy works his nuts off but needs an outlet

Some nice play at times but in the end, very frustrating!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well the result doesn't take away the fact that it was a promising performance and it is seems like we are close to getting it to click going forward but obviously frustrating today, I think a fully fit Igor will probably make a huge difference to us. Johann disappointed me a bit as well today, his pass for Coquelin was great but even if he is weaker on his right he does need to get to the byline a bit more as it becomes a bit too predictable.

Jackson and Fox I think are the only two from our first 11 who I'm not sure about going forward. Jackson just doesn't offer as much as our other midfielders, I don't know how much his leadership helps the team as a whole and we maybe we could have done with him at the end to see the game out but purely playing wise he isn't as good as Cousins or Buyens at the moment. Fox wasn't terrible except the clearance at the end but he just isn't a threat going forward which is limiting us. Johann was able to cut in and roam around a lot because Solly can get forward and put in some dangerous crosses but when Cousins does, nothing will come from the left with Fox there frustratingly.

Coquelin/Harriott MOTM. I've never been sure about Calum in that number 10 role but he was great today and Igor didn't really take advantage of what he did.
  • Options
    Ipswich have won 3 times in a row at The Valley now.
  • Options
    We got Charlton-ed, maybe a loss is what we need to change up plans. Harriott and Gudmundsson need a few more hours on the shooting drills... both were snatching at shots and it got boring. Onwards and upwards..
  • Options
    Have to agree, played very well at times but if you don't take your chances then you are liable to the sucker punch. Exactly what happened. Unbeaten home record is gone but we move on. If we play like that at Forest we will get a positive result.
  • Options
    Disappointed with the result, happy with the performance expect for our finishing. Still it better than that if it happened last week. Just.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weve played worse and won.

Ipswich did to us what we've done to Norwich and reading.

Did everything but score. Nice to see us play well on the box.

Onto the next one...
  • Options
    Not signing another striker is gonna prove the point in our season where we blew our chance
  • Options
    What cost us the game? Was it one defensive error by Morgan Fox or was it a succession of attacking errors by a number of different players? Wrong to blame anyone!

We looked very good at times, keeping the ball well particularly in the first half, and some real quality from Coquelin and Harriott in particular. I was impressed with Vetokele's work-rate, especially as he's not 100% fit but he didn't look the dangerous striker today. Same really goes for Gudmondsson, does the hard work then makes the wrong decision. And how many times does it happen (or so I have read) that Jackson appears to have a poor game but we lose our shape and time on he ball when he leaves the pitch? There's obviously something there.

Disappointed, in fact gutted. Didn't deserve to lose on the balance of play but not good enough in the last third.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

What cost us the game? Was it one defensive error by Morgan Fox or was it a succession of attacking errors by a number of different players? Wrong to blame anyone!

We looked very good at times, keeping the ball well particularly in the first half, and some real quality from Coquelin and Harriott in particular. I was impressed with Vetokele's work-rate, especially as he's not 100% fit but he didn't look the dangerous striker today. Same really goes for Gudmondsson, does the hard work then makes the wrong decision. And how many times does it happen (or so I have read) that Jackson appears to have a poor game but we lose our shape and time on he ball when he leaves the pitch? There's obviously something there.

Disappointed, in fact gutted. Didn't deserve to lose on the balance of play but not good enough in the last third.

I think you could argue it was Callum going off that had a bigger impact, he'd been getting on the ball and a) keeping it and b) keeping Ipswich on their toes. Igor was tiring and partially injured and Tucs did absolutely nothing and suddenly we couldn't keep the ball. There's no doubting though that Jacko is important to the teams shape a discipline, he just has to find a way of making more of an impact going forward.

• Options
    Can we petition sky to ask them never to select us on television ever again, we are cursed!!!!
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2014
    Unbeaten home record thown away, way too cheaply. Absolutely gutted.

The inability to take chances and the loss of midfield with the throwing away of possession, after Jackson came off for Wilson are at the roots of the defeat.

Good first half performance. Charlton moved the ball with pace and nice passing. Watching on the stream, I was proud of the way the team played. It is a great pity that Gudmundsson did not tuck away that chance in the first 2 mins. Some nice interplay with Gudmundsson and Harriots who looked better in the centre. Harriots quite a few shots but none looked like beating the keeper. If he does score, he may end up going on a scoring run, but needs that goal to go in. Ipswich looked threatening but Pope was in the right place at the right time. Coquelin looked good again.

Second half was much poorer from Charlton. Harriots faded and Vetekele got no change from the Ipswich defence and did not look fit to capitalise on promising positions or lead the line. If he had a decent strike partner of any quality, he could be rested, allowed to get back to full strength and everything would not be on his shoulders . It is not good enough. If a decent striker is not found in January 15 then it will tell everything about Duchatelet's ambition for the club this season.

Fox needs to do something about his concentration late on in games, (or maybe he needs substituting after 70 mins. Not sure who would come on for him with Wiggins injured). Should not be targeted for blame for the defeat. It was the constant throwing away of possession by the whole team, who appeared to be doing the opposite of what they were doing for the whole game. That is a team responsibility. The last 15 minutes was terrible and very frustrating to watch.

KAG should have come on instead of Tucudean. Bulot didn't help things either. Bob Peeters is usually spot on with substitutions but got it wrong today. BP he is not helped by the lack of quality and depth in the Charlton team. Ipswich was able to bring some quality on and that difference (combined with the loss of the ball) told in a close game.

What difference the last minute of the end of the last 2 home games have made.
  • Options
    Firstly, gutted. Always is to lose like that but somehow with about 5 mins to go I felt they were going to score. Overall though, some definite positives. Coq was excellent and showed lovely passing ability, great move getting that loan extension. Harriott linked up well too, think he is slowly getting there. We created a number of chances and on another day could have been 2 up at half time.

A few negatives though, I don't want to jump on the Fox is terrible bandwagon. I think he has some potential, he doesn't seem that good going forward, a number of times he wanted to wait before getting a cross in or waited too long to pass. He also seems very nervous, sort of understandable I guess and probably doesn't help with some of the criticism he is receiving. Boost his confidence and I think there is a handy LB in there.

It's easy to blame lack of finishing on lack of strikers. The finishing doesn't bother me as much as at least we were working their keeper a fair few times. I'm more worried with how isolated Igor looks 90% of the time. It's very much a 4-5-------1 formation. I'd like to see Bob be more positive in the home games or more importantly change it up when we are on top in a game. That's not necessarily another striker but an advanced midfielder would do just as well. I know it's a boring recurring argument but Yann and Igor would be a tasty partnership.

Finally, it's probably nit picking given the defensive record but the space we allow other teams. Far too many times when I have watched there is so much space to bypass the midfield with one pass. I understand why with the formation that is played and keeping the back 4 solid as a unit but there seems to be little pressing on the opposition. Personally I think with the squad as it currently is a diamond (or variation of it) would be perfect, although that would mean using FBs as WBs and Bob (as did Jose) seems very reluctant to do it. A slight dilemma I guess given the defence is performing well overall but a bit more positivity would be nice to see.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Seems we were too scared to lose. Shouldn't be bringing a striker sub on with 5 to go at home. Should of been on earlier. Then bringing bulot on added more time on which in the end has cost us. Too scared at home will cost u more times than it helps you as proven today
  • Options
    I've slated Jacko enough this season, but I thought we lost our shape when he went off. He was clearing up a lot of shit on the edge of the box and may have added a bit of composure in the last 10mins when we were nervous as hell.
    Hindsight a wonderful thing.
    Hope RD is feeling extra generous after Christmas cos we're in need of 2 outstanding attacking players to make us clinical.