Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• IAgree said:

All a bit stinky!

Think of the country which likes football the least. Add in real safety issues and a contempt for Football Fans. Throw in an appalling human rights record and dodgy undemocratice government. Add lots of Money........... And that will be the venue for 2026.

I shudder to think where FIFA will chose next!

North Korea then. Cool!
  • As if it all wasn't bad enough, friends back home tipped me off to watch Greg Dyke on Newsnight tonight. Absolute car crash TV. And this guy ran the BBC once !!!
  • As if it all wasn't bad enough, friends back home tipped me off to watch Greg Dyke on Newsnight tonight. Absolute car crash TV. And this guy ran the BBC once !!!

Yep, wasn't very impressive.
  • Nug said:

As if it all wasn't bad enough, friends back home tipped me off to watch Greg Dyke on Newsnight tonight. Absolute car crash TV. And this guy ran the BBC once !!!

My God he was terrible wasn't he! I'm struggling to remember seeing anyone have a worse interview on Newsnight....he was totally destroyed. If thats the best the FA can wheel out, and it probably is, then they're f*****.

• The pressure is mounting on Blatt now, we need a leader probably from somewhere in Europe to step up. With the news from the highly respected Lawyer about the FIFA cover up, the time will never be better, but don't hold your breath.
  • Nug said:

As if it all wasn't bad enough, friends back home tipped me off to watch Greg Dyke on Newsnight tonight. Absolute car crash TV. And this guy ran the BBC once !!!

My God he was terrible wasn't he! I'm struggling to remember seeing anyone have a worse interview on Newsnight....he was totally destroyed. If thats the best the FA can wheel out, and it probably is, then they're f*****.

Just watched that, car crash tv. Until we get someone in place at the FA who can articulate their views and position we're not going to be taken seriously. I'd suggest most FA's around the world are run by similar types, hence the state world football has gotten into. His answer regarding Ched Evans was embarrassing.
  • Nug said:

Nug said:

Just watched that, car crash tv. Until we get someone in place at the FA who can articulate their views and position we're not going to be taken seriously. I'd suggest most FA's around the world are run by similar types, hence the state world football has gotten into. His answer regarding Ched Evans was embarrassing.
    But what I found really surprising is that Greg Dyke is experienced in front of the camera. He ran the bloody BBC for a couple of years, for heavens sake, and has made a career in and around TV. This is Mr Roland Rat. Of all people I'd have expected him to know that you do not allow yourself to appear when you cannot answer without consulting some paper notes which waft in front of the camera, nor do you endlessly scratch your chin, nor do you attack the interviewer for having the temerity to ask questions you didn't expect.

It was as if he'd been playing golf all week and completely forgotten he was due to appear until the taxi called to whisk him off to Broadcasting House.

He needs to go, because he's completely lost it.
  • Nug said:

Nug said:

But what I found really surprising is that Greg Dyke is experienced in front of the camera. He ran the bloody BBC for a couple of years, for heavens sake, and has made a career in and around TV. This is Mr Roland Rat. Of all people I'd have expected him to know that you do not allow yourself to appear when you cannot answer without consulting some paper notes which waft in front of the camera, nor do you endlessly scratch your chin, nor do you attack the interviewer for having the temerity to ask questions you didn't expect.

It was as if he'd been playing golf all week and completely forgotten he was due to appear until the taxi called to whisk him off to Broadcasting House.

It wasn't good but to be fair Laura Kuenssberg was pretty naff in not letting him answer the questions before jumping in with follow ups. Even Chuka Umunna -Mr Cool- nearly lost it with her just afterwards when she was talking to him. Best interview of the evening was Cathy Newman on C4 News ripping Farage a new one!
  • Chaz Hill said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

It wasn't good but to be fair Laura Kuenssberg was pretty naff in not letting him answer the questions before jumping in with follow ups. Even Chuka Umunna -Mr Cool- nearly lost it with her just afterwards when she was talking to him. Best interview of the evening was Cathy Newman on C4 News ripping Farage a new one!
    I agree, that Laura needs to calm down a bit. Although I also thought it was fair to nail Umunna re the "Zero Zero" sound bit. I don't think she was 'just being ridiculous' at all to enquire how many rich people pay zero tax. Even those of us inclined to agree with the sentiment require more than just snappy soundbites.
  • Chuka Umunna ho hoh ho Mr cool do feck off the guy that was caught tweeting himself saying how "this guy should be the next big Labour thing" yes he should --- just another lying twisting Labour twat
  • Sponsored links:

• Chuka Umunna ho hoh ho Mr cool do feck off the guy that was caught tweeting himself saying how "this guy should be the next big Labour thing" yes he should --- just another lying twisting Labour twat

:-)
  • Chaz Hill said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

I agree, that Laura needs to calm down a bit. Although I also thought it was fair to nail Umunna re the "Zero Zero" sound bit. I don't think she was 'just being ridiculous' at all to enquire how many rich people pay zero tax. Even those of us inclined to agree with the sentiment require more than just snappy soundbites.
    Perhaps but she was like a 'dog with a bone' all show. Evan Davies is much better.
  • They need to turn this into a soap opera now...

The man who led the technical bid inspections into the 2018 and 2022 World Cups is under investigation by Fifa for alleged breaches of its code of ethics.

Harold Maynes Nicholls, a Chilean considering standing against Sepp Blatter in next year's Fifa presidential election, faces being charged by the world governing body for emails he sent to the director of the Qatari sporting academy "Aspire".

So two men who are dangerous opponents to Blatter are being charged... Its like catching your best mate sleeping with your wife, look mate I know you did it, just stop coming out with bullshit stories like that you were in bed with her cos you were "testing the springs to ensure the bed wasnt broken" and that you were naked because "Your clothes were in the washing machine as they were dirty"
  • That interview with dyke showed the reporter in a worse light than dyke, yes he looked stupid but we all know that when you get someone on to be interviewed it's common place to explain the questions before the interview, she showed poor skills,
  • That interview with dyke showed the reporter in a worse light than dyke, yes he looked stupid but we all know that when you get someone on to be interviewed it's common place to explain the questions before the interview, she showed poor skills,

I assume the Ched Evans question was spur of the moment, and I don't blame Laura Kuenssberg for trying to get an answer. I don't think she'd be doing her job properly if she didn't at least ask. But I still think Dyke came off worst in the whole interview as he just repeatedly trotted out the "I wasn't there at the time" line.

• His response regarding the watch he got from FIFA was also cringeworthy
  • The watch wrapped lovingly in £50 pound notes?

(This was a scurrilous unfounded rumour made for comedic effect by someone bored on a Friday afternoon at work.)

Oh give it a rest!
  • Sponsored links:

That is no longer true, because too many politicians pre-prepare sanitised answers. If you listen to the Today programme on Radio 4, it happens all the time now that they say "while we have you Minister,can I ask you about..."

In Britain if you agree to talk to a reporter you should expect any question and expect everything to be on the record unless you agree beforehand that something is off record. And as I have found, you stick to that rule, so do they, and then all you have to do is go prepared. The day that changes is the day Orwell's predictions are finally coming true.

Dyke is not a politician, but he holds a top position in an institution of enormous public interest. The Fake Sheikh this was not. He showed a shocking lack of professionalism and I can think of no good excuse for it.

• edited November 2014
    Dyke was informed of the questions he would face not in great detail but was only aware of the fifa questions, the Ched evans question is a moral question, the head of the fa might well think that evans should be hung but he can't say it as the fact don't have jurisdiction in such matters currently

There was a much better line of question around the fa and fifa and what the fa intended to do as a stance against fifa

She handled the whole interview in a rush, not letting the bafoon speak and really show himself as a foolish old man
  • I'm no fan of Greg Dyke and I'm far from impressed. But I don't see he's said much wrong there (having just listened to the interview above).

He said anything the FA ? did was approved by FIFA, so what's the problem ?

As for her hijacking him on Ched Evans, I agree with him. That's not what he was asked to speak about.
  • Interviews of this kind must be very difficult to handle. It's not difficult to ask very tough questions, but it is difficult to answer them.

Greg Dyke let himself down though. He showed poor judgement accepting the interview without first ensuring he had a robust position on the core question being asked. Saying everything was cleared with FIFA first was not a robust position.

The Ched Evans question was impossible. There was only one defensible position though. He should simply have stated the football, like all other industries, abides by the law of the land and cannot and should not form it's own moral judgements. Ched Evans has served his time and is entitled to return to society. He may have been criticised for that, but he had no alternative.

Again though he was unprepared. Has the FA really not thought about what it's public stance should be? If it had Dyke would have followed the line above, not because it's "right", but because any other response leads to a succession of even more awkward questions.

Dyke is a very unimpressive individual.
  • I'm no fan of Greg Dyke and I'm far from impressed. But I don't see he's said much wrong there (having just listened to the interview above).

As for her hijacking him on Ched Evans, I agree with him. That's not what he was asked to speak about.

I'm no fan of Greg Dyke and I'm far from impressed. But I don't see he's said much wrong there (having just listened to the interview above).

sorry CE , but if you want to keep Britain as a free democratic state, you better support the right of journalists to ask legitimate questions, and not just the questions that the other person has agreed to.

• Personally, i'm just bored with interviewers who wont let anybody answer without there being another machine-gun question. Dont see that Dyke did/say much wrong.
  • IAIA
    edited November 2014
    Reinhard Rauball, President of the German Football League, thinks Garcia's report should be published in full

"You have to entertain the question of whether you are still in good hands with Fifa,” Rauball added. “One option that would have to bear serious consideration is certainly that Uefa leaves Fifa.”
  • Interesting comment by Reinhard Rauball. Our FA is not fit for purpose but to all intents and purposes English football is run by a very effective Premier League. The FA is just a nodding dog. No one can question the way in which German football is organised so I wonder if Rauball's comment was the opening shot of something bigger. I doubt the PL or the Bundesliga are happy by having the golden goose in the slippery and arthritic hands of Sepp Blatter and what would appear a corrupt FIFA. I doubt this is going away any time soon.
  • Very strange for the Germans to come out and openly say something like that. Maybe this is the start of something.
  • It's all very well for Rauball to suggest that uefa leave fifa but it was Platini's uefa vote which swung it for Quatar, apparently.